ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in Uk Test

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

joburbs
Newly Registered

Life in Uk Test

Post by joburbs » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:48 pm

Hi, I have my Life in UK test booked for the 14th Feb, and then my ILR appt booked for the 3rd March. My visa expires on the 13th March.

I am worried if I fail the test on Feb, how long it will be until I can re-sit it? And what will happen if I can't do it before my visa expires?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Joanna

haiksuresh
Member of Standing

Re: Life in Uk Test

Post by haiksuresh » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:53 pm

You must complete life in uk. Otherwise you can't apply for ILR. So you need to go for another extension first and then once you complete lifeinuk then apply for ILR.

but dont worry too much life in uk was very easy.

Regards,
Suresh

Sinu.xlnc
Newly Registered

Post by Sinu.xlnc » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi MAte,

Life in UK test is easy if you study. So do not ignore it.
Out of 24 Questions - there are atleast 12-16 Questions will be very easy
and other questions will be bit tricky.

My wife took the test twice
First time she didn't took it seriously as their friends said its easy - She failed and got 15 questions right.
She rebooked it after 2 weeks . studied hard for 1 week , practised as many exams as she can. She passed with 24/24 and finsihed the test in 15 min.

So take it seriously and study hard for till your exam.

rejo123
Newly Registered

Post by rejo123 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Was in the same situation as you ,Its can be a bit frustrating in getting a date to do your Life in the UK.So we sent our application without the certificate and informed them to put the decision on hold because of non availability of dates and when you will sit for it.Just inform them and you will be ok.

joburbs
Newly Registered

Post by joburbs » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:17 pm

haiksuresh wrote:You must complete life in uk. Otherwise you can't apply for ILR. So you need to go for another extension first and then once you complete lifeinuk then apply for ILR.

but dont worry too much life in uk was very easy.

Regards,
Suresh
Thanks Suresh. What is an extension and how do you apply for it?

s1344678

Post by s1344678 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:09 am

joburbs wrote:Hi, I have my Life in UK test booked for the 14th Feb, and then my ILR appt booked for the 3rd March. My visa expires on the 13th March.

I am worried if I fail the test on Feb, how long it will be until I can re-sit it? And what will happen if I can't do it before my visa expires?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Joanna
Joanna,

You should do a lot of Life in the UK tests to prepare for the exam e.g. https://lifeintheuktests.co.uk/life-in-the-uk-test-1/

There are over 40 tests available and you only have to do the first 12 or so to cover the whole 3rd edition handbook.You will not fail, the test is easy, but it doesn't mean that you should go unprepared. Do 5 tests daily from https://lifeintheuktests.co.uk and you will be more than ready to pass.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:21 pm

Joanna

You should be OK. Try booking multiple dates now between your first test date and a few days before your appointment. Should you pass, you can cancel these dates. If you cannot pass, this gives you further opportunities to sit the exam again and make attempts to pass before you appointment.

Should you not be able to pass the LIUK, you need to prepare to apply for an extension. This means applying using form FLR(M) assuming your applying under the spouse route. Once an extension is granted, this gives you ample time to obtain LIUK.

Once LIUK is obtained, you can apply for ILR straight away, no need for the extended visa to expire.

I always try to encourage people to take the LIUK test at the earliest time since it has no expiry date. It is unbelievable the number of people still leaving this till the very last minute, then panicking as they cannot get dates in time, pass first time, was late for the test etc.. then end up spending several hundreds of pounds for the extension just to take the test and spend again for ILR (not to mention the stress and headache of it all). Wouldn't it be a better option if the test was taken, say 12 months ago.

I had my other half who is on the 2 year spouse visa takes the test within six months of her arriving in the UK. Passed and cleared the test 18 months before the visa expires. Its all about preparation, there really is no excuse for people who have left it too late.

For those people who have years left to apply for ILR, the time to do LIUK is NOW!, not 2 months before your visa expires. The LIUK is valid indefinitely and has no expiry date.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

vitality
Newly Registered

Post by vitality » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:01 pm

Hi Suresh,

Thank you for you're helpful answers to Joanna's questions. I too am in a tight situation. My wife's spouse visa expires in March 2015. She has passed her English but has failed LIUK once and has two more tests due at the end of February. She is from Pakistan and is finding it difficult. Hopefully she will pass. If she was to fail, I believe we can apply for a one day spouse extension visa. My question's are:
1. How long is the spouse visa extended for?
2. My wife was granted entry BEFORE the 9th July 2012 financial requirements came into effect, therefore we were not subject to the £18,600 minimum earning threshold at that time. When applying for spouse extension, will we be subject to this earnings threshold at this time?
3. Should my wife continuously fail the LIUK test, what options do we have? Or will she just be asked to return back to Pakistan?

Looking forward to your reply,
V

WR1

Post by WR1 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:05 am

vitality wrote:Thank you for you're helpful answers to Joanna's questions. I too am in a tight situation. My wife's spouse visa expires in March 2015. She has passed her English but has failed LIUK once and has two more tests due at the end of February. She is from Pakistan and is finding it difficult. Hopefully she will pass. If she was to fail, I believe we can apply for a one day spouse extension visa. My question's are:
1. How long is the spouse visa extended for?

The extension will be for another two years.

2. My wife was granted entry BEFORE the 9th July 2012 financial requirements came into effect, therefore we were not subject to the £18,600 minimum earning threshold at that time. When applying for spouse extension, will we be subject to this earnings threshold at this time?

You will not be subject to the new rules since you applied before July 2012. You would need to demonstrate you have adequate maintenance without recourse to public funds.

3. Should my wife continuously fail the LIUK test, what options do we have? Or will she just be asked to return back to Pakistan?

Before the expiry of her current visa, you should apply for an extension using form FLR(M). English Level A1 is required. In the meantime your wife can continue to attempt to pass LIUK. Once LIUK is obtained, you can apply for ILR straight away, there is no need to wait another two years.

Should your wife pass the LIUK after applying for FLR(M) but before a decision is reached, you can vary your application from FLR(M) to ILR.

Looking forward to your reply,
V
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

vitality
Newly Registered

Post by vitality » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:31 am

Thank you for your quick and knowledgeable response. Much obliged.

In retrospect, provided my wife had passed the English and LIUK requirements sooner; could we have applied for ILR, at any time prior to the spouse visa expiring? This would be similar to you advising how ILR can be applied as soon as all requirements are satisfied under an extension visa, rather than applying upon expiry of extension.

Thank you in advance.
V

WR1

Post by WR1 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:01 pm

One of the conditions is that the applicant complete the probationary period before applying. This would be that your wife lived in the UK for two years under the old rules. The earliest you could have applied would have been 28 days prior to completing the 2 year probationary period.

When you apply for an extension instead of ILR, don't forget your wife has already met the 2 year period so that condition is already fulfilled which is why you don't need to wait for another two years.

smackit_in

Post by smackit_in » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:07 pm

Hi

2 of you have mentioned that you had booked multiple Life in uk test

can someone confirm if it is surely allowed ?

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:08 am

You can sit the LIUK test as many times as you wish. There is no restriction on this.

As to booking multiple dates, this shouldn't be a problem. It's just going to cost you £50 each time, unless you can cancel the subsequent appointments in sufficient time as soon as you pass.

agtire
Newly Registered

Help !!! Life in Uk Test Copy

Post by agtire » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:04 pm

In 23.08.2014 I send my aplication form for British citizenship. Yesterday they send me a letter that I need to send orginal documents of English language and life in UK. I will send them my English language document but they already have my Orginal Pass Notification Letter Life in the UK which I send with my application form. I have only copy of my Pass Notification Letter Life in UK becouse I copy all documents which I send to them with my application.
I don't know if I will send them his copy will be ok or I need to do another test to have original document???
I try to call HO but no luck.

Aggie

keano
Newly Registered

Post by keano » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:58 pm

Completed my Life in the UK test today in Hammersmith. I'm from New Zealand so English as a first language and years of school being taught British history and shared cultures helps, and the five years living in the UK of course. I'd recommend people who learn through repetition/memory using the Life in the UK mobile apps (if you can stand the bad English on some of them) and the website people have posted here. Far more useful than just reading the book.

I was panicked about failing before my ILR PEO appointment so booked a second test which I promptly cancelled this morning, no charge.

I was surprised how easy and quick it was in the end, 4 minutes taking the test, 5 minutes waiting for results. I was in the centre for about 40 minutes in total.

My lesson learned was book way in advance. I went to book in February thinking I'd get an appointment within 2 weeks and could only get one 28 days later.

Good luck to everyone!