ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NARIC comparability versus English language requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

asmiali

NARIC comparability versus English language requirement

Post by asmiali » Thu May 08, 2014 11:27 am

Dear Forum,

To answer these questions once and for all, can you please clarify the following:

a) If your degree is on the PBS calculator, do you need a comparability letter?
b) If your degree is on the PBS calculator, do you need the NARIC English Language check? Can this be used instead of any English test?
c) If your degree is not on the PBS calculator, then you need both the comparability and the English language check?

Regards,

sky2020

Re: NARIC comparability versus English language requirement

Post by sky2020 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

a) If your degree is on the PBS calculator, do you need a comparability letter? Not required
b) If your degree is on the PBS calculator, do you need the NARIC English Language check? Can this be used instead of any English test? IF your degrees scores 0 for english instead of 10, You can also use Uni Eng letter or NAARIC ELA
c) If your degree is not on the PBS calculator, then you need both the comparability and the English language check? You must need comparability + Uni letter

S

asmiali

Post by asmiali » Thu May 08, 2014 12:15 pm

How and where can I find out whether my degree scores 0 or 10?

sky2020

Post by sky2020 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Use PBS calculator; If your degree scores 30 then select same degree for english and if it gives you 0 then you have 2 options
- Use university english letter + Original Degree
- Or Use NARIC ELA (which again ask you to provide university english letter once you apply at NARIC)

If your degree scores 10 point for english as well then you dont need any letter and PBS cal print out would suffice for KOLL.

In Summary:-
PBS printout + Uni Letter +Degree (If scores 30 +0)
NARIC Comparability + Uni letter +Degree (If scores 0 +0)
NARIC ELA Only(If scores 30+0 or 0+0)
PBS printout only (if scores 30+10)

S

asmiali

Post by asmiali » Thu May 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Brilliant. I am in the 30 + 10 camp. Money saved.

You are my hero.

nts2007
Newly Registered

Post by nts2007 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:09 pm

Can you please confirm if the rule still holds good and we dont require NARIC letter if your qualification highlights in PBS database?

Also, the PBS doesnt give options of ILR in the Visa category options aimed at. What printout would help alongside?

Appreciate your help in this.

travelerzee

Post by travelerzee » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:13 pm

I applies for ILR at Solihull PEO and was granted with a PBS printout. I also took my original degree certs, a letter from my University confirming my degree was taught in English and the original academic transcripts.

I used the tier 1 option and that gave me 30points for my degree and 10 for english. No problems or issues.

nts2007
Newly Registered

Post by nts2007 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:57 am

Thank you. My degree is listedesigned in PBS and giving me 30 + 10:points. I will move ahead with my application. I don't have letter from university though that my degree was taught in englis but it was successful during my tier 1 approval.

SJ_2013

Post by SJ_2013 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:20 am

travelerzee wrote:I applies for ILR at Solihull PEO and was granted with a PBS printout. I also took my original degree certs, a letter from my University confirming my degree was taught in English and the original academic transcripts.

I used the tier 1 option and that gave me 30points for my degree and 10 for english. No problems or issues.
Which degree did you use? Bachelor or Master. I tried Tier 1 and bachelor's degree and it gave no points?

travelerzee

Post by travelerzee » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:35 pm

I have a bachelors degree and a post graduate degree from the University of Cape Town. both my degrees were on the PBS and gave 30points for the degree and 10 for English,

SJ_2013

Post by SJ_2013 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:17 pm

travelerzee wrote:I have a bachelors degree and a post graduate degree from the University of Cape Town. both my degrees were on the PBS and gave 30points for the degree and 10 for English,

Thanks. It worked for me now. I was using an old date for extension of Tier 1 visa. Used a recent date and it worked.

mrehanashraf

Post by mrehanashraf » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:51 am

sky2020 wrote:Use PBS calculator; If your degree scores 30 then select same degree for english and if it gives you 0 then you have 2 options
- Use university english letter + Original Degree
- Or Use NARIC ELA (which again ask you to provide university english letter once you apply at NARIC)

If your degree scores 10 point for english as well then you dont need any letter and PBS cal print out would suffice for KOLL.

In Summary:-
PBS printout + Uni Letter +Degree (If scores 30 +0)
NARIC Comparability + Uni letter +Degree (If scores 0 +0)
NARIC ELA Only(If scores 30+0 or 0+0)
PBS printout only (if scores 30+10)

S
Hi

UK NARIC’s English Language Assessment provides an assessment and a statement:

to confirm whether an individual’s approved English language test meets the required level of English language proficiency (CEFR level C1)
to confirm whether your degree has been taught solely in English and meets the required level of English language proficiency (CEFR level C1).
Please note that UK NARIC is only able to assess against CEFR level C1 and the English Language Assessment will not provide information on CEFR levels that are lower or higher.

Where as for ILR we need CEFR Level B1. In that case NARIC ELA will be accepted?

UKBA says to provide University Degree Certificate, University Letter for English and NARIC Comparability.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks

sv345

Post by sv345 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi,
Can I ask how do we claim 20 points for the degree? When I use points based calculator, I see 20 points for salary and 10 points for english. I donot see at any place '20 points for degree' as is required for the ILR application. (ILR application requires 20 points for degree and 10 points for english).
I have already taken an appointment with PEO and need this printout showing points for degree.
Please answer ASAP. Thanks

sv345

Post by sv345 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:22 pm

any one?