ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Point Based Calculator going away

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Re: Point Based Calculator going away

Post by abhisheks9 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:57 pm

Devil81,
if you are ok we can discuss this offline?
i have sent you PM but it's stuck in outbox which takes time to be dispatched.
My mobile no is: mobile number removed by moderator
Last edited by CR001 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removal of personal contact information
Disclaimer: This post does not contain legal advice

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:07 pm

abhisheks9 wrote:i have to go with UKVI whims and fancies
No is forcing you to apply for ILR. You can leave the UK if you wish to.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:08 pm

Devil81 wrote:Hi geriatrix,

The reason I posted my queries on Tier 1(g) forum was because even though I would be applying for settlement, I still consider myself as Tier1(g) migrant.

As abhishek9 pointed out it was much easier to address the issues where most of people are still Tier1 and will understand better than the ones on the ILR forum.

Having said that I do understand my mistake and didn’t realize there was an ILR forum.

I was only looking to get an answer from the larger audience on the forum.

Thanks
PBS Calculator is of course not only for Tier 1 G migrants applying for ILR but across the range of PBS visa categories so the ILR forum is the best place as advised.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:23 pm

CR001 wrote:
abhisheks9 wrote:i have to go with UKVI whims and fancies
No is forcing you to apply for ILR. You can leave the UK if you wish to.
Well CR001, i don't want to change direction of topic, and i heard this statement of "no one forcing me, and i can leave" from fellow immigrants umpteen times.
But last thing i want to say: After paying ever increasing visa fees, taxes, NI, council taxes etc, i feel cheated. Initially there was no indication of such behaviors otherwise i would never complain or would have come at first place.

Case in point, is history of HSMP judicial review, which makes UKVI dare not touch HSMP applicants with fee increase and even exempted with this change of rule of ELA.
I have given example of HSMP Judicial review in earlier threads to indicate it's discriminatory but only thing i hear is this repeated statement.

If this country pay me back all cost, i will leave till then i don't really want to hear such discriminatory statement specially when i am the only one who is paying heavy price while other applicants before me are enjoying the settlement, and making such statements.

Nothing personal in this post, but only my thoughts and sharing of pain

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:17 pm

abhisheks9 wrote:you started out with :)
geriatrix wrote: No immigration rules have changed for Tier 1 (General) migrants applying for settlement to suggest that they are now required to take SELT exam to prove English language proficiency (as has been asserted by one of you in the topic)!!!!
now you agree it has changed as i was pointing out and i have to go with UKVI whims and fancies
No, I still don't. You are missing the point yet again!!
"Immigration rules" remain the same - namely, either SELT or NARIC certification or UK qualification - to prove English language proficiency, just as before!!!

It is the "free tool" that has been taken away! A change in the "procedure" of how one proves that the qualification is deemed appropriate for the purpose by NARIC - which will now cost £125 for individual applicants - unlike the "free" PBS calculator" tool that was made available by HO on their own website until now.

Call it what you want, but you'll have to live with it if you wish to apply to settle ... whether you like it or not!!
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:24 pm

The UKVI are ridiculous when it comes to making changes to their policies and this 6th April change to remove the PBS calculator as an option for English language was not even announced in the UKVI Announcements site.

How many here would have known about this change if not for Manci's post in this thread pointing to the NARIC link?

I don't entirely buy the "it's their prerogative, they can do whatever they wish, take it or leave it" stance.

IMHO, I think people have the freedom to express their disappointment in the UKVI policies and the way they operate and it is perfectly OK to do so in a fairly open forum such as this one as long as it doesn't cross the line. Just like how many people express their appreciation of the services they receive from the UKVI.
Cheers,
OR

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:33 pm

It was announced and published on 11-March 2016.
Don't blame HO for your ignorance about where to look! :wink:

UKVI will do what it always does, some people will whine as they always do ..... and life will go on as it always does ..... :)

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:47 pm

thanks O_relly for your polite and kind comments

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:57 pm

geriatrix wrote:It was announced and published on 11-March 2016.
Don't blame HO for your ignorance about where to look! :wink:
:) And it's announced as "Statement of changes to the Immigration Rules: HC877, 11 March 2016". Yeah right!
Cheers,
OR

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:03 pm

Devil81 wrote:Hi abhishek9,

I have my ILR due in July this year.

Even I am in a similar situation as you are but I had my IELTS test taken last year on 18-April-15 with level C1 which is more than what is required for ILR. I am not sure if I can use the same cert. or sit for a new one which satisfies ILR requirements.

It becomes even more confusing when I go through IELTS website and try to compare it UKBA requirements for using the same IELTS certificate.
IELTS:
https://www.ielts.org/what-is-ielts/iel ... ed-kingdom
https://www.ielts.org/what-is-ielts/iel ... plications

UKBA:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s_v1.0.pdf

The answers for below questions on FAQs don't tie in with what's given on the IELTS website.
Will you accept English language tests that are not on the SELT list?
Will you accept English language tests that are on the approved list, but not taken at an approved test centre?

I'm trying to get an answers for the above. :(

Thanks.
Just another example of why queries should be posted in the appropriate forum. The answers to your two queries above are already available - but in the "appropriate" forum. Read FAQs - English language requirements for settlement

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:27 pm

This Naric Visa and Nationality service came from today. Couple of days back I applied for their ELA service as then this Visa and Nationality service was not operational.

In fact I have not even received my ELA yet as Naric is currently processing it.

Do I now need to apply for Naric letter through the Visa and Immigration service? Any suggestion is welcome.

Cheers
Jacob

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:16 am

Jacob123,

Not sure but I suspect that the standard SOC and ELA letters may no longer be accepted by UKV&I.
What is the Visas and Nationality service for? wrote:A new online application system has been specifically developed and will provide official UK NARIC Visas and Nationality statements, custom-designed for immigration purposes. These statements confirm your academic qualification level and/or English language proficiency – as appropriate for your personal circumstances and immigration route. The new security-enhanced statements present clearly all the key information regarding your qualification(s)(about your qualifications, country of study etc) required by UKVI immigration case workers.
Ideally, it would have helped if NARIC had launched this service 2-3 weeks before 06-Apr-2016, allowing applicants who wish to submit their applications immediately after 06-Apr-2016 to arrange for the statements in the new format.

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:14 pm

geriatrix wrote:Jacob123,

Not sure but I suspect that the standard SOC and ELA letters may no longer be accepted by UKV&I.
Thanks Geriatrix. I will try to call both Naric and home office again to see what they suggest. I ha asked them before applying for ELA and they did mention that there will be a transition period. But it is not written anywhere and hence I am concerned.

Cheers,
Jacob

arti999
Newly Registered

Post by arti999 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:16 am

Hi, I am on a tier-2(general) visa and going to apply ILR this may.
Regarding the English language skills:
I am really confused that do i need to get letter from UK NARIC and from my university as well?

When i asked some of my friends they are saying that its not needed.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:00 am

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:39 am

geriatrix wrote:Jacob123,
Dear members, any of you who attended PSC starting 6th, pls share your experience. Did any of you use traditional Naric ELA or SOC for your degree to prove English requirement.

Cheers,
Jacob

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:25 pm

Jacob123 wrote: Dear members, any of you who attended PSC starting 6th, pls share your experience. Did any of you use traditional Naric ELA or SOC for your degree to prove English requirement.

Cheers,
Jacob
I am also interested in knowing about T1(G)->ILR applications post 5th april.
Jacob try to call UKVI: 0300 123 2241 (i haven't called yet) and ask how T1(G) will be affected?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:55 pm

The Home Office helplines have been known to give out incorrect and inconsistent (call 10 times and get 10 different answers) advice. I would not go by the advice from that source.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ssm4u
India

Post by ssm4u » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:18 pm

Did we get any definitive answer?
Am also in the same boat of Tier 1 General to ILR. Already proved my english language requirement in 1st application through point based calculator and last 2 extension which had an option "Already proved in the initial application". The ILR form seems to be bit tricky on that front which doesn't have a clear option for this section.
I've a letter from the University for my initial application from India. Not sure if I would need to apply to UK NARIC again for confirmation while applying for ILR.

Also in the naric website there is no option of Tier 1 -> General under immigration route
ssm4u

Devil81
Mood:

Post by Devil81 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:08 am

Hi guys,

There is no point in flogging the dead horse. Looking at the latest SET(O) Section 4, it is pretty much clear that you need to have an IELTS at Level B1 or a letter from UK NARIC plus a letter from your University (if outside UK) to prove your medium of instruction as English irrespective of whichever ways you have proved it in the past.

I would rather not waste time & money in calling UK NARIC & UKV&I and start preparing for my ILR whichever way it works for me. Changes have been imposed and rules are in place so no point whining now. :(

I am in a similar situation as others and I am holding an IELTS level C1 from April 2015.

Thanks

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:25 am

ssm4u wrote:Also in the naric website there is no option of Tier 1 -> General under immigration route
:roll: Wish people would make an effort to read through the topic before posting in it! Read this post.

All, read FAQs - English language requirements for settlement