ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Point Based Calculator going away

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dreamers315

Point Based Calculator going away

Post by dreamers315 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:43 pm

Hello Experts,

Are you aware that the Point Based Calculator is going away if you want to show your english language skills based on "Degree taught in English" ?

Any new on this that Home Office is going to remove this option so going forward any one who wants to show their English Language skills they have to take the appropriate English language tests ?

Thanks

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Point Based Calculator going away

Post by manci » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:35 pm

Those submitting an application on or after 6 April 2016, who wish to use an overseas qualification to support their immigration application, will need to obtain a statement from UK National Recognition Information Centre (UK NARIC). Applicants will need to contact and pay UK NARIC directly for this. For further details visit http://www.naric.org.uk/visasandnationality

dreamers315

Post by dreamers315 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:50 pm

manci wrote:Those submitting an application on or after 6 April 2016, who wish to use an overseas qualification to support their immigration application, will need to obtain a statement from UK National Recognition Information Centre (UK NARIC). Applicants will need to contact and pay UK NARIC directly for this. For further details visit http://www.naric.org.uk/visasandnationality
@manci - Thanks for clarifying this. This means i can still pay them and get the english language certification/eligibility done by simply providing them my degree certificate from my home country (obviously in english format)?

Thanks

ssm4u
India

Post by ssm4u » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:43 am

Where did you find that information? Do I've to get it from NARIC again, even I've proved it during my earlier Tier 1 extension? Am planning to apply in May
ssm4u

oxymoron
Newly Registered

Post by oxymoron » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:11 pm

I have couple of queries related to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).
I am on a Tier 1 (General) visa since June 2011 and am planning to apply for ILR in May 2016.
With reference to the closing down of the Points Based Calculator tool from 06 April 2016, I have the following two queries.

(1) Qualifications assessment - I have a Bachelor's degree (from India) which is recognised on the Points Based Calculator.
Hence, I claimed points for it during my initial Tier 1 (General) application and sent in the original degree certificate as evidence of the qualification at that time.
Also, I submitted the same degree certificate for the Tier 1 extension in 2013.
Please could you clarify whether I can submit the same original degree certificate for my ILR application in May 2016 and that will satisfy all requirements for qualifications assessment in line with the new rules implemented after 06 April 2016.

(2) Knowledge of Language - For my initial application (in 2011) and subsequent extension (in 2013), I've submitted my original Bachelor's degree certificate
(from India) along with the Points Based Calculator assessment page showing University recognised on Points based calculator.
In order to satisfy all requirements for Knowledge of Language assessment in line with the new rules implemented after 06 April 2016, please could you clarify

whether I can submit the original degree certificate for my ILR application in May 2016
or
would I need to obtain a speaking and listening qualification at level B1 or above from the Secure English Language Test (SELT) list
or
would I need UK NARIC to confirm that the qualification was taught or researched in English

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:14 pm

oxymoron wrote:I have couple of queries related to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).
I am on a Tier 1 (General) visa since June 2011 and am planning to apply for ILR in May 2016.
With reference to the closing down of the Points Based Calculator tool from 06 April 2016, I have the following two queries.

(1) Qualifications assessment - I have a Bachelor's degree (from India) which is recognised on the Points Based Calculator.
Hence, I claimed points for it during my initial Tier 1 (General) application and sent in the original degree certificate as evidence of the qualification at that time.
Also, I submitted the same degree certificate for the Tier 1 extension in 2013.
Please could you clarify whether I can submit the same original degree certificate for my ILR application in May 2016 and that will satisfy all requirements for qualifications assessment in line with the new rules implemented after 06 April 2016.

(2) Knowledge of Language - For my initial application (in 2011) and subsequent extension (in 2013), I've submitted my original Bachelor's degree certificate
(from India) along with the Points Based Calculator assessment page showing University recognised on Points based calculator.
In order to satisfy all requirements for Knowledge of Language assessment in line with the new rules implemented after 06 April 2016, please could you clarify

whether I can submit the original degree certificate for my ILR application in May 2016
or
would I need to obtain a speaking and listening qualification at level B1 or above from the Secure English Language Test (SELT) list
or
would I need UK NARIC to confirm that the qualification was taught or researched in English
If applying after 6th April, the link manci provided appears to say that you will need ELA from NARIC.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Devil81
Mood:

Post by Devil81 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:09 pm

Hi folks

The intention is not to hijack the post but query something which is relevant to the topic. May be others might be in a similar situation as I am.

For my initial application and all my subsequent extensions I proved my English language skills based on “degree taught in English” option available on points based calculator.

I do understand that for applications submitted after 6th April 2016 overseas qualifications will have to be assessed / approved by UK NARIC or supported by an English language test.

Currently, I have got an IELTS taken last year for my Canadian FSW application which is in process. Can I use the same cert. for my UK ILR application which is due in July this year or do I still need UK NARIC to assess?

I feel I can use the same IELTS cert. unless there is a higher threshold of required scores for UK.

Thanks

Devil81
Mood:

Post by Devil81 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:19 am

No replies yet.

Can I use my year old IELTS cert. or do I still need UK NARIC to assess?
Hoping to get a reply soon.

Thanks.

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:49 am

English requirement is updated: https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english

This is super confusing for Tier-1(General) applicant like me :roll: , who already proved it through PBS and now i have neither got time, motivation or resource to go to university and get letter apart from letter/certificate UK NARIC.

Earlier i never needed UK NARIC letter or from university.

checked: http://www.naric.org.uk/visas%20and%20n ... /FAQs.aspx
which shows NARIC doesn't cover Tier-1(General) :?: :?: :?:

Is someone here yet to go for ILR through Tier-1(General) route and proved english through PBS earlier?
Disclaimer: This post does not contain legal advice

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:23 am

abhisheks9 wrote:English requirement is updated: https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english

This is super confusing for Tier-1(General) applicant like me :roll: , who already proved it through PBS and now i have neither got time, motivation or resource to go to university and get letter apart from letter/certificate UK NARIC.

Earlier i never needed UK NARIC letter or from university.

checked: http://www.naric.org.uk/visas%20and%20n ... /FAQs.aspx
which shows NARIC doesn't cover Tier-1(General) :?: :?: :?:

Is someone here yet to go for ILR through Tier-1(General) route and proved english through PBS earlier?
From today, PBS calculator is no longer accepted. You will either have to do the ELA though UK NARIC or do the English test at one of the approved test centres.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:51 am

thanks @CR001
can you guide me how to obtain ELA from NARIC or do english test from one of centre?
I have never done it and don't know where to start?

I looked at NARIC website and while registering selecting Immigration Tier doesn't give General option in Immigration Route option but does have others like Graduate, Entrepreneur, investor etc

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:00 am

abhisheks9 wrote:thanks @CR001
can you guide me how to obtain ELA from NARIC or do english test from one of centre?
I have never done it and don't know where to start?

I looked at NARIC website and while registering selecting Immigration Tier doesn't give General option in Immigration Route option but does have others like Graduate, Entrepreneur, investor etc
I am not familiar with NARIC process, have never had to use them. You would need to contact them.

List of approved English test centres in link below. You need B1 level for ILR.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... l_2016.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Devil81
Mood:

Post by Devil81 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:15 am

Hi abhishek9,

I may be wrong but have a look at the link below. Currently Tier1 (General) is not listed under ‘Which immigration routes require a SELT’ in FAQs for candidates. I believe applicants applying for settlement under Tier1 (General) route do not require SELT that’s why it’s not listed on UK NARIC website.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s_v1.0.pdf

Request senior members to respond.

Thanks.

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks for replying @Devil81
even i mentioned in first comment in this thread that NARIC FAQ also DON'T list Tier-1(General) in their service? But selecting Settlement option may be way to get certified from NARIC.

Even if i assume Tier-1(General) don't need any NARIC or SELT certification, there is just no option for people like me to tick in section 4.3 of SET(O) form?
Also India is not majority English speaking country to check even following option:
˗ the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada);

Devil81
Mood:

Post by Devil81 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi abhishek9

Apologies, I misread it. Settlement & Citizenship applications will need SELT irrespective of the route. I was searching for Tier 1 (General) on that list.

There is no reprieve as we will have to take IELTS Life Skills at level B1 as UK NARIC does not list Tier 1 (general). We just have to grin and bear it.

Thanks.

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi Devil81

yes, Tier-1(General) is not listed in NARIC, that is why we need to select Visa and Nationality AND Settlement option to process UK NARIC application not based on Tier-1(General)?
this works same in case of SELT?

I am getting familiar with NARIC process now, but IELTS SELT is still very much vague for me, moreover there is no center in Aberdeen where i am based :?

Are you also due for ILR or have got it already?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:21 pm

Tier 1 (General) is not listed in the NARIC options / list / FAQs as it is no longer an "open" visa category that one can apply for!!
All of you are / will be applying for "settlement" ..... it is just that you "happen" to be Tier 1 (General) migrants "currently"!

So why are you all looking for Tier 1 (General) in the list and not "settlement"??? :?

No immigration rules have changed for Tier 1 (General) migrants applying for settlement to suggest that they are now required to take SELT exam to prove English language proficiency (as has been asserted by one of you in the topic)!!!!

And even after almost 10 years on the forum, I fail to understand why Tier 1G people post queries about "settlement / indefinite leave to remain" applications in a Tier 1 (General) forum .... and not the "indefinite leave to remain" forum!!!! Just like people focus on searching for Tier 1 (General) on NARIC website .... but not settlement (that they wish to apply for)!!!!
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:32 pm

geriatrix
firstly thanks for reply and to make discussion clearer, we have now realized the mistake of looking for Tier-1(General) instead of settlement option. Therefore, i could see NARIC allows registration/processing with settlement option.

secondly, i am still not sure if rules are not changed for T-1(G) going for ILR, since this English Assessment impacts all categories?
Most importanly: as i mentioned in my previous comment, section 4.3 of Set(O) form doesn't give any option for people like me to claim English Assessment based on previous apllications or Points calculator. This ELa change has made this confusing for me.

Finally, i am using this forum to address specific section/category of people, who will understand issue well rather than crowd in ILR forum. This according to me makes the discussion easy and understandable?
anyway this thread has been moved now to ILR forum.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:40 pm

The forums exist for specific immigration categories for a purpose, not for someone's convenience! Rule of thumb - if you post in the "appropriate" forum, you have a "higher" chance of a accurate response(s) ...
Understand the issue? Sorry to say, none of the Tier 1 (General) migrants posting in this topic seem to have understood anything about the (non) issue for almost a month!!!!
When you post in this forum, you address the public at large, not a specific group of people! Likewise, responses can be posted by "anyone", not just someone you wish should respond!

Explain to me why you think you can't (or will not be able to) choose the following:
An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
˗ UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English;
after you have received a statement from the NARIC V&NS.

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:17 pm

it would have been convenient if Tier-1(G) forum was locked/removed.
I will no longer talk about it.

About ELA (English language assessment)
I can choose this option only after receiving statement/letter from NARIC?

Right now my situation is: i have no IELTS certificate or NARIC letter/statement. Only option was Points Based Calculator, but since PBS is removed can i still prove ELA without NARIC or IELTS assessement or i have NO choice and approach NARIC/IELTS?
question arises: why do i need to go for NARIC service now, when none of previous ILR applicants or my own previous applications needed this NARIC confirmation.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:22 pm

abhisheks9 wrote:question arises: why do i need to go for NARIC service now, when none of previous ILR applicants or my own previous applications needed this NARIC confirmation.
Because HO has decided to change the procedure from 00:00hrs on 06-Apr-2016!!!

And, unforunately since you were not eligible to apply for settlement before this date (perhaps?) you now need to follow the requirement prescribed at the time of your application.

HO brought in PBS when they wanted to, allowed applicants to use it until they deemed it fit for purpose, and now they have taken it away! Their prerogative entirely!!
Tough luck that you didn't get a chance to use it (again) for settlement application.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:32 pm

SELT is a choice you still have!

So, either SELT or NARIC V&NS if you have overseas qualification.
Take your pick.

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:27 pm

you started out with :)
geriatrix wrote: No immigration rules have changed for Tier 1 (General) migrants applying for settlement to suggest that they are now required to take SELT exam to prove English language proficiency (as has been asserted by one of you in the topic)!!!!
now you agree it has changed as i was pointing out and i have to go with UKVI whims and fancies

Devil81
Mood:

Post by Devil81 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi geriatrix,

The reason I posted my queries on Tier 1(g) forum was because even though I would be applying for settlement, I still consider myself as Tier1(g) migrant.

As abhishek9 pointed out it was much easier to address the issues where most of people are still Tier1 and will understand better than the ones on the ILR forum.

Having said that I do understand my mistake and didn’t realize there was an ILR forum.

I was only looking to get an answer from the larger audience on the forum.

Thanks

Devil81
Mood:

Post by Devil81 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi abhishek9,

I have my ILR due in July this year.

Even I am in a similar situation as you are but I had my IELTS test taken last year on 18-April-15 with level C1 which is more than what is required for ILR. I am not sure if I can use the same cert. or sit for a new one which satisfies ILR requirements.

It becomes even more confusing when I go through IELTS website and try to compare it UKBA requirements for using the same IELTS certificate.
IELTS:
https://www.ielts.org/what-is-ielts/iel ... ed-kingdom
https://www.ielts.org/what-is-ielts/iel ... plications

UKBA:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s_v1.0.pdf

The answers for below questions on FAQs don't tie in with what's given on the IELTS website.
Will you accept English language tests that are not on the SELT list?
Will you accept English language tests that are on the approved list, but not taken at an approved test centre?

I'm trying to get an answers for the above. :(

Thanks.