ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

question regarding court fines

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

computaboi

question regarding court fines

Post by computaboi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi All,
I am on Tier 1 (G) visa, I will be applying for ILR next year.

I have a quick question regarding driving offence, would driving offence(s) affect ILR application ?

I have been fined for £346.67 from Northumbria Central Enforcement unit for leaving car parked on public road with no road tax.

Background:
I purchased car from colleague in 2012 nov, this was most stupid decisions I ever made in my life!
I knew it was bad decision but car was really cheap as the guy moving out of UK and he sold it for less than avg market price.

Funny thing is I never drove that car as I had no valid driving license and didn't know driving. I was planning to start taking driving lessons and sort out driving license in UK.

In a week or two after buying car I relocated to another place on a new job offer. However as I didn't know driving I left the car parked on public road in front of my old property and moved away but my friends were living at same address.

After few weeks I learned from my friends that my car was clamped and taken away by DVLA, so I called DVLA and found that they fined me for £423 pounds as road tax on the car has expired! I said to lady I don't have money and cannot pay the amount. She said that's fine we would scrap the car and that was the end of the story. I never heard back from them so I forgot about , I never had car since then so I never bothered to change my address with DVLA untill this year!

Now it haunted me back, I received letter from Northumbria Central Enforcement unit this month asking for payment of £346.67. It appears this is fine from court for not paying road tax and parking on public road, no SORN either. Fair enough I am prepared to pay for it as it's my stupidness that led to this.

My question is will I have to declare this in my ILR applcation if they ask for offences/court orders etc. Will it have any -ve impact on my ILR application at all, could you please advice ?

computaboi

Re: question regarding court fines

Post by computaboi » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:08 pm

experts, please advice

computaboi

Post by computaboi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:49 pm

guys,

Any thoughts on this please ?

montysingh

Post by montysingh » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:41 pm

computaboi wrote:Hi All,
I am on Tier 1 (G) visa, I will be applying for ILR next year.

I have a quick question regarding driving offence, would driving offence(s) affect ILR application ?

I have been fined for £346.67 from Northumbria Central Enforcement unit for leaving car parked on public road with no road tax.

Background:
I purchased car from colleague in 2012 nov, this was most stupid decisions I ever made in my life!
I knew it was bad decision but car was really cheap as the guy moving out of UK and he sold it for less than avg market price.

Funny thing is I never drove that car as I had no valid driving license and didn't know driving. I was planning to start taking driving lessons and sort out driving license in UK.

In a week or two after buying car I relocated to another place on a new job offer. However as I didn't know driving I left the car parked on public road in front of my old property and moved away but my friends were living at same address.

After few weeks I learned from my friends that my car was clamped and taken away by DVLA, so I called DVLA and found that they fined me for £423 pounds as road tax on the car has expired! I said to lady I don't have money and cannot pay the amount. She said that's fine we would scrap the car and that was the end of the story. I never heard back from them so I forgot about , I never had car since then so I never bothered to change my address with DVLA untill this year!

Now it haunted me back, I received letter from Northumbria Central Enforcement unit this month asking for payment of £346.67. It appears this is fine from court for not paying road tax and parking on public road, no SORN either. Fair enough I am prepared to pay for it as it's my stupidness that led to this.

My question is will I have to declare this in my ILR applcation if they ask for offences/court orders etc. Will it have any -ve impact on my ILR application at all, could you please advice ?
Hello mate

Are you sure this fine is from the court ?
It will be beneficial if you could provide a copy of the letter you received, obviously take your details out and put a imgur link in the forum.
I think they are some sort of government baliffs to collect the money from you, i found a contact number for Northumbria Central Enforcement Unit 0191 2982280, you should give them a call and ask in detail about what the fine/money owed by you is exactly for?
Even if you pay the money, i certainly believe that fine will not have any bearing on your ILR, but that's my personal opinion, once you have paid the fine, you can check your PNC if it appears on your record.
If the fine is from court then yes your ILR will be affected.

computaboi

Post by computaboi » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:59 pm

Thanks very much for your reply.

I Spoke to magistrates court this afternoon and they said it was indeed fine from court for having vehicle on public road with no road tax.

I have been told that my case went to hearing on 23-May-2013 and court fined me for £346.xx. I have cleared the payment yesterday.

In ILR application it states, mandatory refusal if
iv) they have, within the 24 months preceding the date of the application, been convicted of or admitted an offence for which they have received a non-custodial sentence or other out of court disposal that is recorded on their criminal record.”

Court imposed fine on 23-May-2013, I will apply for ILR either 2015 Dec or 2016 Jan. It would be more than 24 months by that time having said that I have only paid fine yesterday. So I am not sure whether they would count time from the date I cleared fine or the date when court has originally convicted and imposed fine .

Aprreciate any thoughts on this.

Letter from Northumbria Law Enforcement

montysingh

Post by montysingh » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:46 pm

computaboi wrote:Thanks very much for your reply.

I Spoke to magistrates court this afternoon and they said it was indeed fine from court for having vehicle on public road with no road tax.

I have been told that my case went to hearing on 23-May-2013 and court fined me for £346.xx. I have cleared the payment yesterday.

In ILR application it states, mandatory refusal if
iv) they have, within the 24 months preceding the date of the application, been convicted of or admitted an offence for which they have received a non-custodial sentence or other out of court disposal that is recorded on their criminal record.”

Court imposed fine on 23-May-2013, I will apply for ILR either 2015 Dec or 2016 Jan. It would be more than 24 months by that time having said that I have only paid fine yesterday. So I am not sure whether they would count time from the date I cleared fine or the date when court has originally convicted and imposed fine .

Aprreciate any thoughts on this.

Letter from Northumbria Law Enforcement
Hello Mate

The conviction date is when is the court originally fined you in May 2013, so a year has already been past and 24 months will be lapsed before you will apply for your ILR, Just do a PNC check before your apply for ILR-it costs about £10 and it will clear any doubts.

computaboi

Post by computaboi » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:27 pm

Thanks Monty, sure I will get PNC after coming June and see what it says.

Also guys any other thoughts ?