ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions about ILR Taxes

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

iubus2005

Questions about ILR Taxes

Post by iubus2005 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi All,

I am expecting to apply for ILR next year in July. I have never claimed points for self-employment. However, during the first couple years, I could not find a job in UK and claimed points for my earnings overseas (i.e. no income or taxes in the UK. I didn't even get my national insurance number till I got a job in UK after living here for about 2 years ).

Since the, I have had a second renewal (in early 2015) and used my UK employment income and have paid taxes / filed returns on time.

Given so many people are getting ILR rejected for tax issues, I am a little nervous and have following questiosns:
1) Sorry for the ignorance -- I am trying to figure out what is SA302? Is it something applicable only to self-employed individuals?
2) Does Home Office look for 5 years of Tax records? In my case, they will only find it for 3 years (since nothing exists before that, income or taxes).
3) As an employed person, how do I check that everything is in order with HMRC?

Regards,
Anurag

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Questions about ILR Taxes

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:41 am

You;d have needed to fill in an SA302 (self assessment tax return) if, amongst other criteria you;

Code: Select all

...had income from abroad that you needed to pay tax on
As you seem to have been domiciled in UK whilst tax resident abroad (for overseas income) you'd needed to have ensured UK tax was paid as well subject to DTA.

The general rule is you pay the tax where the work is done, and any additional to where you are domiciled.

Your accountant is the best man to speak to about this.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

rpsarangi
Member of Standing

Post by rpsarangi » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:16 pm

iubus2005 wrote:Hi All,

I am expecting to apply for ILR next year in July. I have never claimed points for self-employment. However, during the first couple years, I could not find a job in UK and claimed points for my earnings overseas (i.e. no income or taxes in the UK. I didn't even get my national insurance number till I got a job in UK after living here for about 2 years ).

Since the, I have had a second renewal (in early 2015) and used my UK employment income and have paid taxes / filed returns on time.

Given so many people are getting ILR rejected for tax issues, I am a little nervous and have following questiosns:
1) Sorry for the ignorance -- I am trying to figure out what is SA302? Is it something applicable only to self-employed individuals?

Self assessment records. Yes it is for self-employed people

2) Does Home Office look for 5 years of Tax records? In my case, they will only find it for 3 years (since nothing exists before that, income or taxes).

Yes while applying for ILR , HO might look at all your earnings either employed or self employed and tax paid over your living in the UK if they wish to. But majority of the time they will try to verify the earning that you have claimed points for

You can call HMRC and ask them for the records they hold against your name

Regards,
Anurag
Fingers crossed.....Trust in God.....

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:13 pm

rpsarangi wrote:

Self assessment records. Yes it is for self-employed people

Yes while applying for ILR , HO might look at all your earnings either employed or self employed and tax paid over your living in the UK if they wish to. But majority of the time they will try to verify the earning that you have claimed points for

You can call HMRC and ask them for the records they hold against your name

Regards,
Anurag
Self Assessment is NOT just for self employed people, it's basically for anyone who's not just remunerated solely by PAYE and who is and employee only. Basically anyone with non-standard tax affairs.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

iberia
Newly Registered

Post by iberia » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Regards,
Anurag
Yes. I have similar case. I had my overseas earnings for my initial grant of T1 and first extension as the earnings were generated overseas that no tax record for the above period at HMRC. For the rest of the five years during my stay in the UK, ie. second extension and ILR 5-y route, I have been staying in the UK and paying tax in UK so HMRC should have all my records for the five years period. By the time I apply for ILR, how to mention the previous two or three years where my earnings were made overseas?