ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self employment questionnaire for ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

amar11
Newly Registered

Self employment questionnaire for ILR

Post by amar11 » Sat May 07, 2016 2:02 pm

I came to know from some of the posts that some PEO's are asking applicant to fill a questionnaire on self employment. I have an appointment in Croydon this week so would like to know if it is a normal practise in Croydon? Though I claim my residency points through employment salary, I did start a Pvt Ltd company for a while and stooped it. There was no business and no transaction. My accountant closed it there after.
Do i have to declare it? What is the purpose of this form? I dont want them to hold my application just because I had some form of self employment at some time, especially after paying such a hefty fee.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Self employment questionnaire for ILR

Post by CR001 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Are you Tier 1 General?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

amar11
Newly Registered

Post by amar11 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:22 am

Yes, Tier 1 general and now moving to ILR

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon May 09, 2016 8:25 am

Yes, you will be asked to complete a form on the day and failure to declare any HMRC registered self-employment will result in a refusal due to deception. HO will cross-check records with HMRC.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

kautya

Post by kautya » Mon May 09, 2016 9:27 am

Hi,

Its not tied to a PEO and they dont always ask applicants to fill it. I was asked to fill it at the Solihull PEO whereas my friend who applied the next day at the same PEO was not given one. So I think its a random request.

sunny_sunny

Post by sunny_sunny » Tue May 10, 2016 11:50 am

Even if you had closed your company, you have to declare it. You have to show the account and tax details even if there was no transaction. This ensures your records are clean.

ranarehan

Post by ranarehan » Mon May 16, 2016 8:44 pm

interesting - why this questionnaire not part of main ILR application form? why is this random?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 16, 2016 8:49 pm

ranarehan wrote:interesting - why this questionnaire not part of main ILR application form? why is this random?
Because form Set(O) is used for many ILR route visas. The Questionnaire is only be given to Tier 1 General applicants who had some or are self employed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ranarehan

Post by ranarehan » Mon May 16, 2016 9:19 pm

CR001 wrote:Because form Set(O) is used for many ILR route visas. The Questionnaire is only be given to Tier 1 General applicants who had some or are self employed.
Okay, but there are already sections in Set(O) form for Tier-1 General / Exceptional Talent / Investor etc so these questionnaire could technically go in Tier-1 General section

Is there any guidance on filling those questionnaires?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:25 pm

ranarehan wrote:
CR001 wrote:Because form Set(O) is used for many ILR route visas. The Questionnaire is only be given to Tier 1 General applicants who had some or are self employed.
Okay, but there are already sections in Set(O) form for Tier-1 General / Exceptional Talent / Investor etc so these questionnaire could technically go in Tier-1 General section

Is there any guidance on filling those questionnaires?
It is evident from posts and well known generally, that the Tier 1 General route was abused, which is likely why the route was closed, and this is the likely end result of 'cleaning it up'. Not everyone who had Tier 1 General had self employment, a lot were PAYE and they are not asked to complete the questionnaire.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ranarehan

Post by ranarehan » Mon May 16, 2016 9:44 pm

CR001 wrote:It is evident from posts and well known generally, that the Tier 1 General route was abused, which is likely why the route was closed, and this is the likely end result of 'cleaning it up'. Not everyone who had Tier 1 General had self employment, a lot were PAYE and they are not asked to complete the questionnaire.
Apparently, this is the situation it seems like indeed. My guess is: HO have data from HMRC as of January 2015 and anyone who has amended tax figures (genuine or non-genuine) after January 2015 is going to be flagged up in their system.