ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET (LR) deferred

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

crazytopu

SET (LR) deferred

Post by crazytopu » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:53 am

I've been a silent reader of this forum and many thanks to everyone who has been actively trying to help people like us.

I had my ILR premium appointment yesterday at Solihull. It was on 10 years long residency route but they held my paper telling me as follows:

1. During my self employment whatever I had submitted doesn't match up with the HMRC record.

They have made me sign and date a document which states things like - I do object to their claim and I confirm all my tax matters are up to date with HMRC.

I had an argument with the case worker who seemingly do not understand the tax matters very well but insists that she is right.

Things she said was:

1. The year you submitted your tax return to Home office for your visa extension - is when we expect to see your tax up to date with HMRC

My argument was: it would never match for the same year if you are looking for the payment with HMRC as we are allowed to submit our tax return a few months after the tax year has ended and subsequently can pay the bill. So, for example my tax year was 09-10 and 10-11 (as I submitted my home office paper in June) it fell in the middle of two tax years. Therefore, I had submitted two tax returns to HMRC 09-10 and 10-11 and cleared all my payments in 2012.

2. She said she understand what HMRC says to its client is correct, which is that they allow the business owners to pay Tax at a later date but she again insists Home office must see a matching record.

My argument was: They can't dictate to change the tax year as this is defined by HMRC. It's as if HMRC is dictating Home office who to give visa and how to conduct their business. Secondly, I said - in one hand you are saying you are relying on HMRC data to verify my tax statement and at the same time you are refusing to accept what HMRC deem as perfectly legitimate and valid (i.e pay at a later date).

After a long discussion I had submitted my tax payment receipt with HMRC reference number, all the relevant documents (such as invoice, bank statement etc during my self employment period).

She said she will verify them and may take from 2 days to 2 weeks no one knows.

Meanwhile, I am about to order my SA302 form from hmrc. If anybody has any suggestions what I should be preparing for and any insights what could go wrong here?

DCee
BANNED

Re: SET (LR) On hold - tax issue

Post by DCee » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:27 pm

Interesting. I'm still not sure what part of the rules allow them to refuse on tax alone. Are they trying to assert deception?
Maybe this is why they forced you to sign something - that way if anything is even slightly wrong they can use it against you.

Obviously double check your tax returns. Withdraw and fix anything wrong, no matter how small.

satti547
Newly Registered

Post by satti547 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:34 pm

They will verify with hmrc even your total income falls under two tax years if that figure match with home office then u r safe

crazytopu

Post by crazytopu » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:46 am

Well, clearly the point of having that document signed and dated was to use against me if they find slightest opportunity to do so. I was very careful and read each word of it and made them edit the page 3 times before I was happy and signed. One of the thing she wrote was: "Your accountant does everything for you" and I immediately corrected that to say: "My accountant deals with my accounts and tax returns and as a business owner I am fully aware of all business activities that took place" . There was another note which says that I am okay without a representative - I made sure she didn't mean legal representative and that she is not offering me an option here whether to take one or not. She explained by saying that she meant immigration representative (if you have one who is accompany you for that day).

I've matched all my earnings and tax submission and they all match up. I've called HMRC to order the SA302 they should be on their way soon and hopefully it will give me some strong evidence to fight should things go a bit bitter.

They can't refuse visa on tax matters but you are right, they are probably trying to prove I may not be of good character as not paying tax is now deemed to be a criminal offence.

DCee
BANNED

Post by DCee » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:46 pm

Can I ask what month/year was your last Tier 1 renewal?

crazytopu

Post by crazytopu » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:46 pm

I applied in June 12 and got approved in Oct, 12 I think. Why?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:53 pm

People are trying to figure out how far back can UKV&I / HMRC can dig to check for tax discrepancies / irregularities.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

crazytopu

Post by crazytopu » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:59 pm

Oh they are not after my extension they are after my first application which was in June 2010. So, they are checking my tax year 09-10 and 10-11

sachinjoshilondon201
BANNED

Post by sachinjoshilondon201 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:09 pm

Hi Crazy topu is there any chances we can contact each other. I have my ILR on 10 year basis in November. And I would like to discuss with you if possible. My email is [Moderator Edit: Do not post personal contact information]

DCee
BANNED

Post by DCee » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:18 pm

sushdmehta wrote:People are trying to figure out how far back can UKV&I / HMRC can dig to check for tax discrepancies / irregularities.
Well, also when did they start these stronger checks.
If someone last renewed Tier 1 in December last year, or March this year, maybe they were also subject to them.

(I wonder if this info would be in a SAR?)

Khalidkhan78
Newly Registered

Post by Khalidkhan78 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi
What documents u submitted with ur application. Any update on ur case

crazytopu

Post by crazytopu » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:07 pm

Just usual documents that you need to submit with long residency ILR. but later during the interview I gave them 1. all the invoices 2. bank statements covering sole trading period 3. Email proof that I paid the tax with hmrc reference number. That's it.

No no update yet.

tungha1979
BANNED

Post by tungha1979 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:15 pm

were u salaried or self employed when u applied for ur ILR?

crazytopu

Post by crazytopu » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:25 pm

Salaried

Khalidkhan78
Newly Registered

Post by Khalidkhan78 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:41 am

So u did not attach any tax related documents or any returns with your application. Just application form, liuk, degree, passport etc. nothing relating to ur sole trading period. Thats very unusual. But u dont have to worry u will get ur ilr this week for sure. I m still very surprised y they calles u for interview.

tungha1979
BANNED

Post by tungha1979 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:00 am

crazytopu wrote:Salaried
also, had you applied for your tier 1 extension visas by post or at PEO? I guess if you applied for your Tier 1 extension visas at PEO, the HO should have asked u about the tax related to the initial application when u attended the PEO to get your visa extended. This is my guess..

crazytopu

Post by crazytopu » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:51 am

@khalidkhan, yes that's correct just the required documents no additional doc.

But I carried all sole trading doc with me just in case. Just received my SA302 form and it confirms all the figures.

How can you be so sure I will get ILR this week?

crazytopu

Post by crazytopu » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:52 am

@tungha1979, no I sent it by Post.

Khalidkhan78
Newly Registered

Post by Khalidkhan78 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:04 pm

Sorry just to clear u did not post ur application, u went to peo right. Also, what about ur tier 1 extension were u sole trader.

I said u will get visa soon because u dont have any tax issues.

Khalidkhan78
Newly Registered

Post by Khalidkhan78 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:06 pm

Also its not tier 1 to ilr, urs is 10 year long residency right

crazytopu

Post by crazytopu » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:12 pm

Yeah went to PEO and it's on 10 years route yes correct. Extension was based on salaried employment and dividends.

sodonm

Post by sodonm » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:14 pm

Hi everyone

Could anyone one please let me know how hmrc record PAYE AND NI for an employee. Is it recorded on a monthly or yearly basis? how do they recorded it in the SAR?

thanks

crazytopu

Post by crazytopu » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:47 pm

I think yearly basis.

Khalidkhan78
Newly Registered

Re: SET (LR) deferred

Post by Khalidkhan78 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:58 pm

Any update on ur case

crazytopu

Re: SET (LR) deferred

Post by crazytopu » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:37 pm

No khalidkhan no update i will keep you posted. Are you also waiting for your case?