ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 Gen - ILR - English langauge requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

pulok.paul
Newly Registered

Tier 1 Gen - ILR - English langauge requirement

Post by pulok.paul » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Dear Experts,

I need your help on English langauge requirement for my ILR application(Tier 1 Gen)
I am in the process of applying for ILR.
I have cleared Life in the UK test.

Regarding my Degree/university - My degree was taught in English(I can find the university in point based calculator) and I have letter from my College confirming the same.

Question - Do I need to further get NARIC letter confirming Degree Taught in English?

Reason for my question is - I am filling up the SET O form and I have below points where i am not sure which one I shoud select.

An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
˗˗UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
˗˗the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country

Paul

LondonerIndian
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 1 Gen - ILR - English langauge requirement

Post by LondonerIndian » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:26 am

pulok.paul wrote:Dear Experts,

I need your help on English langauge requirement for my ILR application(Tier 1 Gen)
I am in the process of applying for ILR.
I have cleared Life in the UK test.

Regarding my Degree/university - My degree was taught in English(I can find the university in point based calculator) and I have letter from my College confirming the same.

Question - Do I need to further get NARIC letter confirming Degree Taught in English? - NO. Your degree certificate is sufficient.

Reason for my question is - I am filling up the SET O form and I have below points where i am not sure which one I shoud select.

An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and: - select this
˗˗UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; - select this or
˗˗the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country

Paul

sanjaywakhare

Post by sanjaywakhare » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:40 am

As LondonerIndian said plus do carry a PBS printout showing 10 points for language.

pulok.paul
Newly Registered

Post by pulok.paul » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:31 pm

sanjaywakhare wrote:As LondonerIndian said plus do carry a PBS printout showing 10 points for language.
Thank you for your reply.

I am very bit of an awkward situation at the moment because of below and desperately need your inputs.

I am of the view that my degree/university is in the NARIC data base, simply because when I applied for Tier 1 gen I could find my university in the drop down in the point base calculator and because of that I also understood my degree was considered as taught in English.
But now when I try to carry out an assessment with Tier 2 PBS calculator(in the absence of Tier 1 general calculator) to prove my English score for ILR, the point base calculator does not award me points for English.
I am really worried now, as I am not sure if this has an impact on my degree point (30) which I am claiming for ILR? With regards to English requirement, I think the way forward will be to appear of the English test, which I guess I can manage. can you please confirm my understanding?

I would really appreciate your valuable inputs on this.

Note - I do have a copy of summary for the PBS calculation which I have submitted as part of my previous Tier 1 Gen extension application.

Paul