ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 to ILR with TOEIC

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Latoya
Newly Registered

Tier 2 to ILR with TOEIC

Post by Latoya » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:01 am

Hello,

I have an appointment soon to apply for ILR and i currently have the Tier 2 (general) visa.
I passed the Toeic test and was granted entry 5 years ago based on that . My results were pretty high and above the B1 level
I am aware that ets (toeic provider) has been removed from the list of approved providers but reading various notes in the UKBA home office site, i can see that "different arrangements apply to applicants for settlement and naturalisation"
Does it mean that i am not impacted since i already proved knowledge of language at entry level even with a test provider not approved?
Please help
Thanks

WR1

Re: Tier 2 to ILR with TOEIC

Post by WR1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:44 am

No one can truly predict whether your application will have an impact, but there haven been cases where people had submitted their English certificate that was done many years ago (and even may have used them in a previous application) and still had their applications put on hold.

The type of application makes no differences. Look at this forum, there's one person who's application is on hold for applying for FLR(M), so its not just settlement or citizenship.

As you are aware ETS TOEIC is one of the tests under investigation. If I was in your position, I would do another approved test. Would you want to submit an application with an English test you know is under investigation and risk having your application put on hold, or would you rather remove any element of doubt and submit a new English test. It just takes away the worry if you did the latter, otherwise, you wouldn't be asking this question.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Latoya
Newly Registered

Post by Latoya » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:27 am

Thanks for your response.
I would have no problem sitting another test but I just have some time constraints and an appointment booked for next week...
i have put below the UKBA note on the removal of ETS
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... tsheet.pdf
and in the bottom it is said that " Separate arrangements apply to applications for settlement or naturalisation as a British citizen".
In addition, I looked at the note below, which they published after the October 2013 changes
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-koll.pdf
it says that "So, for example, a person applying for settlement as a Tier 2 (General) migrant who has already demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level in order to qualify for entry clearance, will not have to take a further test at settlement stage."
I may be trying to convince myself that I will be fine....

FireballXL5

Post by FireballXL5 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:27 pm

Latoya wrote:Thanks for your response.
I would have no problem sitting another test but I just have some time constraints and an appointment booked for next week...
i have put below the UKBA note on the removal of ETS
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... tsheet.pdf
and in the bottom it is said that " Separate arrangements apply to applications for settlement or naturalisation as a British citizen".
In addition, I looked at the note below, which they published after the October 2013 changes
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-koll.pdf
it says that "So, for example, a person applying for settlement as a Tier 2 (General) migrant who has already demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level in order to qualify for entry clearance, will not have to take a further test at settlement stage."
I may be trying to convince myself that I will be fine....
Seriously do not even think about submitting a TOEIC certificate.

The inconvienience of doing another test (or even moving the appointment) is dwarfed by the months of agony submitting it may cause.

My OH submitted a TOEFL qualification (same as she put in for her spouse visa initially two years ago) when we applied for the 'premium same day' service for SET(M). That was back in April (before they announced they were no longer recognising it) and we are still waiting with no end in sight despite the fact that they technically should accept it.

Unless you don't mind waiting for many months without any documents and being unable to travel I strongly suggest you do another test. Also, do not even submit the TOEIC certificate 'just in case' in addition to the new certificate, I've heard stories of people who have submitted two certificates but where one was ETS being also put on hold. Think of an ETS certificate as a sort of reverse Midas touch that will taint the rest of your application even if everything else is fine.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:29 pm

@ Lotoya

There you go, yet another example with the post above by FireballXL5 having submitted back in April and application is on hold.

You can certainty guarantee your application will also be put on hold. Do another English B1 test as soon as possible and get your appointment moved. You're additional premium fee of £400 will have gone down the drain when the application is put on hold and many months of headache on waiting for the outcome. Worst case scenario the application can be rejected altogether when the decision is made.

You are yet to apply and still have a choice unlike others who have already applied and are left with no choice but to wait, yet you hesitate to do another test. If I was in your position, I wouldn't be even think about it, it would be straight to book a different test and submit with application. Its not worth the risk.
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Xam

Post by Xam » Sun May 03, 2015 2:22 am

I submitted TOEIC test certificate when I applied for Spouse Visa in June 2012 , But I have done A1 from Trinity College and submitted to Home Office in the middle of October 2012 . Last week of October 2012 my Spouse Visa was approved .

I submitted SET(M) application in the beginning of October 2014 along with B1 ( Trinity College), Expired IELTS (6.0) and Expired A1 ( Trinity College) .
Im still waiting for the decision :(
what could be out come of the ILR application?

* Im spouse of British Citizen under old rule .
* we never claim any benefit .
Thank you in advance .
WR1 wrote:@ Lotoya

There you go, yet another example with the post above by FireballXL5 having submitted back in April and application is on hold.

You can certainty guarantee your application will also be put on hold. Do another English B1 test as soon as possible and get your appointment moved. You're additional premium fee of £400 will have gone down the drain when the application is put on hold and many months of headache on waiting for the outcome. Worst case scenario the application can be rejected altogether when the decision is made.

You are yet to apply and still have a choice unlike others who have already applied and are left with no choice but to wait, yet you hesitate to do another test. If I was in your position, I wouldn't be even think about it, it would be straight to book a different test and submit with application. Its not worth the risk.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:50 am

Have you tried contacting the Home Office for an update?

Xam

Post by Xam » Tue May 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Thank you WR1 for your reply :)

Yes I did phone them once a week but every time they replied me '' Your application still in process '' :(
We ( me and my wife) booked hotel in spain to celebrate our anniversary and sent the booking confirmation email . But No replied yet :(
Our anniversary is over now :(
I don't know what to do :(
Its been more then 7 months i applied :(

Will TOEIC will be an issue ?

WR1 wrote:Have you tried contacting the Home Office for an update?

WR1

Post by WR1 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:42 pm

TOEIC was removed due to fraud and I can't say if it would be an issue. There was no need to submit 3 qualifications. TOIEC is no good, the Trinity A1 will do no good as it is below the requirement. The expired IELTS is the one that is sufficient and this is the one that should have been submitted on its own (assuming it was used in a previous application).

All I can suggest is that after the general elections, you get your local MP involved on your behalf to see if things can be sped up.

Xam

Post by Xam » Tue May 05, 2015 9:55 pm

Thank you for your suggestion :) Thank you ever so much. I know its stupid question. Is there ant chance to get ILR without refusal ?
I know its unpredicted . But according to your experience I am asking. Please feel free to inbox me if you want.
Thank you ever so much again :)
Have a lovely evening :)
x
WR1 wrote:TOEIC was removed due to fraud and I can't say if it would be an issue. There was no need to submit 3 qualifications. TOIEC is no good, the Trinity A1 will do no good as it is below the requirement. The expired IELTS is the one that is sufficient and this is the one that should have been submitted on its own (assuming it was used in a previous application).

All I can suggest is that after the general elections, you get your local MP involved on your behalf to see if things can be sped up.