ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American entering Ireland to apply for EU1 residence card

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Christina1116
Newly Registered

American entering Ireland to apply for EU1 residence card

Post by Christina1116 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:25 pm

I'm a non-EU national (American) married to a British citizen. My husband is in the Republic of Ireland exercising EU treaty rights. I am currently in the UK and planning to join him there and then apply for a EU1 residence card. As an American citizen I don't need a visa to enter Ireland as a visitor/tourist, but are there any documents I will need other than my passport and marriage certificate? Will I need something to prove my husband is in Ireland and I'm joining him? He doesn't have a flat yet, but he does have a job so he could probably get a letter from his employer stating he's working there?

Since I plan to remain there indefinitely, I will not have a return ticket to the UK or to the USA. A few months ago when I entered the UK I was very nearly denied entry because I did not have a return ticket to the USA. I was finally allowed into the country, but not before being held and questioned for about 8 hours. I'd like to avoid that happening again, but there's no way to guarantee that the guy stamping passports in Ireland will know the law in great detail. Is there anything I can do to make sure I'm allowed in without a return ticket out?

Thanks for any advice!

CalvinKlien
Mood:
Ireland

Re: American entering Ireland to apply for EU1 residence car

Post by CalvinKlien » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:17 pm

You don't need return ticket to US or UK, just keep your marriage certificate and your passport with you. If you could have a copy of your husband's payslip and job letter, a tax credit certificate from the revenue department, that will be great as you could show it to the Immigration officer on the Irish port.

In an ideal world it would be great if your husband can be with you while entering Ireland which will make things alot easier.

Christina1116
Newly Registered

Post by Christina1116 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:51 pm

Thanks. Since he's already there, it's really not financially feasible for us for him to come back to the UK so that I can enter with him, but he should be able to get a job letter/payslip that I could have a copy of.

I'm just concerned about that "how long will you be staying?" question they always ask.

CalvinKlien
Mood:
Ireland

Post by CalvinKlien » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:57 am

I'm just concerned about that "how long will you be staying?" question they always ask.
Just tell him you are here to join ur husband and plans r to live together on long term bases