ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applied for FBR since applications route thorugh Ireland?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

minihaus
Newly Registered

Applied for FBR since applications route thorugh Ireland?

Post by minihaus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:41 am

Hey all,

It looks like most US states stopped processing FBR applications through your local consulate in February of last year. Has anyone applied since this change and mailed everything directly to the office in Ireland? Was there any communication once you submitted? How long did it take for them to process your application/how long have you been waiting? Did they keep all the original documents the entire time?

Thanks!

Clazarus
Newly Registered

Re: Applied for FBR since applications route thorugh Ireland

Post by Clazarus » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:32 am

Just got my citizenship through FBR. Took just about 4 months. The time from FBR charging my card to approval was about 3 weeks. They sent the docs back with the FBR certificate. Unfortunately there was no communication in that time.

minihaus
Newly Registered

Post by minihaus » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:25 pm

thank you so much for replying! that's very helpful to know :D

sweetbeatrice
Newly Registered

Post by sweetbeatrice » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:39 am

Hello! Thanks for asking. I'm in the same boat. I sent all my paperwork to the facility in Ireland, and they received it around mid-January. I'm still just waiting...

minihaus
Newly Registered

Post by minihaus » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:11 pm

sweetbeatrice wrote:Hello! Thanks for asking. I'm in the same boat. I sent all my paperwork to the facility in Ireland, and they received it around mid-January. I'm still just waiting...
let me know if you hear! i'll post an update when I have as well.

sweetbeatrice
Newly Registered

Post by sweetbeatrice » Wed May 13, 2015 11:45 pm

Hello!! Great news today, or at least I think it's great news! I have a charge on my credit card from the Dept of Foreign Affairs. I can only assume that this is for the FBR. So, now I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for my package in the post.

To give you an idea of the timeline:
15 January 2015 - FBR office received my application package (known via delivery confirmation)
13 May 2015 - Charge posted on my credit card

JimCrawford
Newly Registered

Post by JimCrawford » Thu May 14, 2015 11:08 pm

It's outrageously ethnocentric and dearly beloved to give people citizenship purely because they have an Irish grandparent. It needs to be stopped to reflect modern Ireland.

sweetbeatrice
Newly Registered

Post by sweetbeatrice » Fri May 15, 2015 4:13 am

JimCrawford wrote:It's outrageously ethnocentric and dearly beloved to give people citizenship purely because they have an Irish grandparent. It needs to be stopped to reflect modern Ireland.
perhaps that is an argument that you should make to your lawmakers? On this board, it just sounds like trolling.

JimCrawford
Newly Registered

Post by JimCrawford » Fri May 15, 2015 1:25 pm

You people arent Irish. Having a grandparent from Ireland doesn't make you Irish. Living in the country for years does. It's absurd and dearly beloved to give citizenship to people purely on having an Irish distant relative.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Fri May 15, 2015 1:56 pm

JimCrawford wrote:You people arent Irish. Having a grandparent from Ireland doesn't make you Irish. Living in the country for years does. It's absurd and dearly beloved to give citizenship to people purely on having an Irish distant relative.
Absurb maybe - dearly beloved, definitely not.

JimCrawford
Newly Registered

Post by JimCrawford » Fri May 15, 2015 3:07 pm

It's ethnocentric.

Unskilled American, who hasnt a clue about modern Ireland, but with an Irish granny - welcome aboard. Here's your passport and you're free to live anywhere in the EU/EEA visa free.

Engineer from the devoloping world - here's a load of hoops and bureaucracy to jump through. Extremely difficult to migrate to Ireland/EU.

The British have the right idea. They give an ancestry visa to those with grandparents born there. They then have to earn their citizenship like everyone else. That's fair.

sweetbeatrice
Newly Registered

Post by sweetbeatrice » Sat May 16, 2015 12:20 am

I think Ireland and Italy are the two remaining countries that grant citizenship based on grandparents, and it probably is a process that will be phased out in the near future. I think I read somewhere that the number of individuals on the FBR is much more than the nation of Ireland could ever support within its borders.

However, if your argument is that it's ethnocentric, then isn't it just as ethnocentric to allow the children of citizens to be citizens just by default? If this is really ethnocentricism. My father is an Irish citizen because both his parents were natural-born Irish citizens, regardless of where he was born. Just as in the US, a child born to any US citizen is granted US citizenship, no matter the place of birth (haven't you heard our president was born in Kenya).

minihaus
Newly Registered

Post by minihaus » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:00 am

sweetbeatrice wrote:Hello!! Great news today, or at least I think it's great news! I have a charge on my credit card from the Dept of Foreign Affairs. I can only assume that this is for the FBR. So, now I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for my package in the post.

To give you an idea of the timeline:
15 January 2015 - FBR office received my application package (known via delivery confirmation)
13 May 2015 - Charge posted on my credit card
That's wonderful news!!! Thank you for providing an update! Let me know if you hear anything further and congrats :).

JimCrawford
Newly Registered

Post by JimCrawford » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:29 pm

None of you were born in Ireland or raised here so it's an utter disgrace that you are allowed have an Irish/EU passport. It's a great boon for you as it allows you live and work in the EU without a visa. But it sullies Irish citizenship for the rest of us and it must be stopped and rescinded.

minihaus
Newly Registered

Post by minihaus » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:56 am

JimCrawford wrote:None of you were born in Ireland or raised here so it's an utter disgrace that you are allowed have an Irish/EU passport. It's a great boon for you as it allows you live and work in the EU without a visa. But it sullies Irish citizenship for the rest of us and it must be stopped and rescinded.
You don't really know anything about any of us, our families, or how we were raised.

sweetbeatrice
Newly Registered

Post by sweetbeatrice » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:26 am

JimCrawford wrote:None of you were born in Ireland or raised here so it's an utter disgrace that you are allowed have an Irish/EU passport. It's a great boon for you as it allows you live and work in the EU without a visa. But it sullies Irish citizenship for the rest of us and it must be stopped and rescinded.

JimCrawford
Newly Registered

Post by JimCrawford » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:09 pm

I know you're wannabe Irish plastic paddies who culturally appropriate both our identity and citizenship.

There is nothing Irish about an American born and raised in America. It's utterly outrageous that you get citizenship when your cowardly grandparents absconded when the nation needed them most.

DiegoUK

Post by DiegoUK » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:02 pm

How about you blow me.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:31 pm

I, as an Irish citizen, completely disagree. Why would this sully Irish citizenship? They are simply following Irish citizenship law. If you feel so strongly about it, take it up with the Irish lawmakers; not the people who are, perfectly legally, exercising their right to citizenship (under current legislation).

I feel embarrassed by your comments.

JimCrawford
Newly Registered

Post by JimCrawford » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:42 am

You're a naturalised citizen. Can be removed with a stroke of a pen.

These people are American. Not Irish. How can they claim to be Irish when you were born and raised in a foreign country? They are people who abuse our citizenship by descent laws for their own selfish gain.

Being Irish is a lot more than just holding a passport with a harp on it.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:56 am

JimCrawford wrote:You're a naturalised citizen. Can be removed with a stroke of a pen.

These people are American. Not Irish. How can they claim to be Irish when you were born and raised in a foreign country? They are people who abuse our citizenship by descent laws for their own selfish gain.

Being Irish is a lot more than just holding a passport with a harp on it.
Get your facts right. I am an Irish citizen by virtue of being born in the island of Ireland; my parents and their parents and grandparents have all been born in the island of Ireland, understand?

They are NOT abusing a law that allows for them to become Irish citizens legally. They are NOT being selfish. They are simply making use of the law. It makes absolutely no difference. They are entitled to be Irish and, to be honest, why wouldn't they take advantage of this legislation?

You, sir, are an embarrassment to Irish people.

sweetbeatrice
Newly Registered

Post by sweetbeatrice » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:16 am

First: Chacoclive, thanks for your post! In nearly all cases, I've experienced nothing but well-wishes and positive reactions from Irish citizens regarding pursuing the Foreign Births Registry.

Next: all my paperwork arrived today! So, to summarize the timeline:

15 jan 15: application submitted
13 may 15: card charged fee
19 june 15: I emailed regarding status, and got a prompt reply
25 june 15: package with paperwork is delivered

Thanks to all for you support. I'm very excited =)

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:32 pm

sweetbeatrice wrote:First: Chacoclive, thanks for your post! In nearly all cases, I've experienced nothing but well-wishes and positive reactions from Irish citizens regarding pursuing the Foreign Births Registry.

No problem :)

Hope you'll have your shiny new Irish passport soon!

JimCrawford
Newly Registered

Post by JimCrawford » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:34 am

sweetbeatrice wrote:First: Chacoclive, thanks for your post! In nearly all cases, I've experienced nothing but well-wishes and positive reactions from Irish citizens regarding pursuing the Foreign Births Registry.

If we had a referendum this nonsense would be stopped pretty sharpish. An American born and raised in America and who has never lived here is not Irish and shouldn't be holding an Irish passport. They are simply not Irish. They are only going after the passport for their own selfish gains.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:49 pm

JimCrawford wrote:If we had a referendum this nonsense would be stopped pretty sharpish. An American born and raised in America and who has never lived here is not Irish and shouldn't be holding an Irish passport. They are simply not Irish. They are only going after the passport for their own selfish gains.

Wait for the referendum then and make your voice heard! Until then there's nothing you or anyone else can do as this is the law!

These people are indeed full Irish citizens by virtue of holding an Irish passport (if you don't have citizenship, you can't get an Irish passport), no matter how they obtained it (as long as it was legal of course). On the passport photo page it will say: Eireannach, just the same as you and me! We don't have different classes of citizenship.

If you were offered another passport that you were legally entitled to, wouldn''t you take it? I know that I would!

No2, please give up your pathetic blabbering. You just look stupid and narrow-minded!