ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing family to Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

GHADAA
Newly Registered

Bringing family to Ireland

Post by GHADAA » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi;

I lived in Northern Ireland for the last 4 years. I have a work permit visa for 5 years. My plan was to bring my family to settle with me and have a good life in UK (originally, I'm from Egypt). I failed to bring them in 2008 because of issues of sole responsibility, deception and missed documents. I lost my appeal in 2011. I consulted many solicitors, they said that any other application will be automatically refused by home office. Only one solicitor advices me recently to apply for naturalisation in Ireland. This way I will be able to bring all my children under age of 21 years and my husband as they won't look at his immigration history. I have some queries that would like to be helped with:
1- Do you think the last solicitors suggestion is my only resort to have my family with me (my oldest is 19 yrs and the middle is 18 yrs).
2-I looked at the requirements for naturalisation, all the rules are applied to the people who live in Ireland not Northern Ireland e.g. I'm not stamping my passport in the police station whenever I go in or out the country. So, I don't know how will they calculate the 5 years for me but I'm a full time nurse and I have my work permit for 5 years.
3- if I go for 3 weeks to visit my family, will this affect the period of 365 days in the 5th year.
4- I there any difference between irish and british nationality.

your advice will be much appreciated and might help a shattered family.

Thanks

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:15 pm

foreign national parents of children born in the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 must prove that they have a genuine link to Ireland. This will be evidenced by their having 3 out of the previous 4 years reckonable residence in the island of Ireland immediately before the birth of the child. On proof of a genuine link to Ireland their child will be entitled to Irish citizenship and can apply for a certificate of nationality.

This means that if you give birth to a child on the island of Ireland, having worked in Northern Ireland for the previous 4 years, the child becomes an Irish citizen.

The Irish citizen child can then bring his father (your husband) to Ireland. Logic suggests that if both parents are in Ireland, other children should also be able to come to Ireland, but I am not sure of the legislation regarding this.

I think that the above route is open to you. You might want to adopt a child either, as I think that this confers the same rights as giving birth to a child.

I do not personally know of any other route that will work for you, based on the information you have given.

The route suggested by the solicitor may be difficult, because you reside in Northern Ireland, rather than in Ireland. The childbirth route covers the whole island of Ireland, as stated in the above legislation.
BL

Malika

Re: Bringing family to Ireland

Post by Malika » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:17 pm

GHADAA wrote:Hi;

I lived in Northern Ireland for the last 4 years. I have a work permit visa for 5 years. My plan was to bring my family to settle with me and have a good life in UK (originally, I'm from Egypt). I failed to bring them in 2008 because of issues of sole responsibility, deception and missed documents. I lost my appeal in 2011. I consulted many solicitors, they said that any other application will be automatically refused by home office. Only one solicitor advices me recently to apply for naturalisation in Ireland. This way I will be able to bring all my children under age of 21 years and my husband as they won't look at his immigration history. I have some queries that would like to be helped with:
1- Do you think the last solicitors suggestion is my only resort to have my family with me (my oldest is 19 yrs and the middle is 18 yrs).
2-I looked at the requirements for naturalisation, all the rules are applied to the people who live in Ireland not Northern Ireland e.g. I'm not stamping my passport in the police station whenever I go in or out the country. So, I don't know how will they calculate the 5 years for me but I'm a full time nurse and I have my work permit for 5 years.
3- if I go for 3 weeks to visit my family, will this affect the period of 365 days in the 5th year.
4- I there any difference between irish and british nationality.

your advice will be much appreciated and might help a shattered family.

Thanks
You live under UK immigration laws, pay taxes to the UK government so its virtually impossible to use Irish Immigration law because you don't fall under that.
Have had a period of 365 days* (1 year) continuous reckonable residence in the State immediately before the date of your application for naturalisation and, during the 8 years preceding that, have had a total reckonable residence in the State amounting to 1,460 days* (4 years). Altogether you must have 5 years (5 x 365 days*) reckonable residence out of the last 9 years - see ‘calculating reckonable residence’ below, and

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... ation.html
You completely misunderstood the residency, it isn't just 5 years. (I know people who have applied after 8 years) you also have to bear in mind that the application process and getting Naturalised takes a very long
As suggested by the poster above, if you had an Irish-born child after meeting that period of residence in the Island of Ireland (32 Counties), your child would qualify as a citizen.
'If you compare yourself to others,you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself'............DESIDERATA

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:15 pm

It is important to note that a person in this position needs to give birth in Ireland, not in their home country.

The other parent of the child can then re-locate to Ireland.
BL