ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizen married to Irish citizen...citizenship query

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

TORRES
Newly Registered

British citizen married to Irish citizen...citizenship query

Post by TORRES » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:50 am

Hie guys I am just trying to find out from those in the know, what the situation is regarding Irish Citizenship. I am a British Citizen and my wife is an Irish citizen. I would like to acquire Irish Citizenship through our marriage so I was just wondering what the procedure would be and how long that might take to acquire??????. We have been married for 3 years and we currently live in England. :? :? :? :? :?

Thanx

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:51 am

First things first: You need to move to Ireland. Ireland removed the option of post-nuptial naturalization a few years ago. So if you want to become Irish, you'll have to move to Ireland--this includes Northern Ireland.

After that, these are the requirements:

Naturalisation of spouses of Irish citizens.
If you are married to an Irish citizen and living in the island of Ireland, you may meet special conditions for naturalisation based on that marriage if:
you are of full age (i.e. eighteen years or older, or married if younger than eighteen)
you are of good character
you are married to your Irish citizen spouse for a period of not less than 3 years,
your marriage is recognised under the laws of the State as subsisting,
you and your Irish citizen spouse are living together as husband and wife and your Irish spouse submits to the Minister an affidavit in the prescribed form to that effect,
you have had immediately before the date of the application a period of one year’s continuous residence in the island of Ireland, and
you have had, during the 4 years immediately preceding that period, a total residence in the island of Ireland amounting to 2 years,
you intend in good faith to continue to reside in the island of Ireland after naturalisation and
you make a declaration of fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State (see below for the point in the process at which this is required).

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:53 pm

If you are thinking of moving to the Republic of Ireland, might be worthwhile for your wife to get her British citizenship first.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:00 pm

JAJ wrote:If you are thinking of moving to the Republic of Ireland, might be worthwhile for your wife to get her British citizenship first.
What would be the benefit of that?
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

TORRES
Newly Registered

Post by TORRES » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:00 pm

Sorry I forgot to mention that my wife has both British and Irish citizenship............

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:39 pm

TORRES, do you have any Irish ancestry, or do you have a parent who acquired Irish citizenship through some other means*, prior to your birth? If so, you might be able to qualify in your own right.

(* = i.e. through naturalisation, post nuptial citizenship, adoption, FBR)

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:44 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:41 am

Out of interest, why would you want Irish Citizenship? Traditionally and legally, British Nationals are treated the most similar (in ligth of other nationalities) to the Irish. After a period of residence, they can vote in Dáil Éireann Elections (oh yeah...) You would not be treated differently on the basis of Nationality via European and Equality Law

smalltime

Post by smalltime » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:04 am

walrusgumble wrote:Out of interest, why would you want Irish Citizenship? Traditionally and legally, British Nationals are treated the most similar (in ligth of other nationalities) to the Irish. After a period of residence, they can vote in Dáil Éireann Elections (oh yeah...) You would not be treated differently on the basis of Nationality via European and Equality Law
I agree ... Brits who live here they are treated like Irish.

you dont have to change nationality mate just a waste of energy in my opinion.
pen pen de sarapin de kutsilyo de armasen
haw haw de karabaw de batutin

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:15 pm

smalltime wrote:Brits who live here they are treated like Irish.
..I wouldn't go that far. :P

smalltime

Post by smalltime » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:39 pm

Ben wrote:
smalltime wrote:Brits who live here they are treated like Irish.
..I wouldn't go that far. :P
I mean they can work and live here no problem and vice versa. I think

Ben you are British right? I guess your speaking from experience hehehe

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:43 pm

In all the years I've lived here and in all the years I will live here for, I know I'll never be accepted. Not fully.

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:18 pm

walrusgumble wrote:Out of interest, why would you want Irish Citizenship?
Presumably the original poster wants to "feel more Irish" by virtue of having an Irish passport. Next step is to ditch the British accent for a D4 southside Dublin accent :P

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:29 pm

doesnotcompute wrote:Next step is to ditch the British accent for a D4 southside Dublin accent :P
Ah wait..

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:26 am

smalltime wrote: you dont have to change nationality mate just a waste of energy in my opinion.
Dual citizenship is allowed so the question of "changing nationality" doesn't arise.

Many British (also some Irish) people who lived as permanent residents in Australia in past decades were told exactly the same thing "don't have to become Australian, waste of time, you've all the rights you need ... " And then times changed, laws changed, circumstances changed - especially when they needed to leave for a while and couldn't return because new immigration laws were in place and they had lost their previous status.

If an opportunity comes up to become a citizen of the country you live in, there are sometimes good reasons to turn it down. "Just a waste of energy" is a thoroughly bad reason (many have come to regret the consequences), and in general, is not a good mindset in life.

smalltime

Post by smalltime » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:37 am

JAJ wrote:
smalltime wrote: you dont have to change nationality mate just a waste of energy in my opinion.
Dual citizenship is allowed so the question of "changing nationality" doesn't arise.

Many British (also some Irish) people who lived as permanent residents in Australia in past decades were told exactly the same thing "don't have to become Australian, waste of time, you've all the rights you need ... " And then times changed, laws changed, circumstances changed - especially when they needed to leave for a while and couldn't return because new immigration laws were in place and they had lost their previous status.

If an opportunity comes up to become a citizen of the country you live in, there are sometimes good reasons to turn it down. "Just a waste of energy" is a thoroughly bad reason (many have come to regret the consequences), and in general, is not a good mindset in life.
Australia is not part of EU though.
UK and Ireland are EU countries.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:13 pm

smalltime wrote: Australia is not part of EU though.
Once upon a time there was no substantial immigration control between Commonwealth members (Britain, Australia). All that changed. The EU arrangements could be changed just as easily.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:09 pm

JAJ wrote:

Okay then, how about having to pay in the region of €950 +

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:11 pm

JAJ wrote:
smalltime wrote: Australia is not part of EU though.
Once upon a time there was no substantial immigration control between Commonwealth members (Britain, Australia). All that changed. The EU arrangements could be changed just as easily.
no they can't, in the unlikely event, the treat would require total and complete support of each country. Do you really see that occurring in practice?

THe British Commonwealth was their own making and failed due to their actions, god they still think certain parts of the world are still there's. I get watch you say though, but in reality will it happen? what grounds for your belief?

anyway, if he wants to be Irish so be it. So long as he can produce a proper footballer son he he

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:06 am

walrusgumble wrote:
no they can't, in the unlikely event, the treat would require total and complete support of each country. Do you really see that occurring in practice?

THe British Commonwealth was their own making and failed due to their actions, god they still think certain parts of the world are still there's. I get watch you say though, but in reality will it happen? what grounds for your belief?
The EU immigration arrangements won't come to an end through everyone sitting at a table and deciding all together to do things differently.

It could happen through one country after another (possibly under new governments with different priorities) deciding to look out for their national interest - which may at that point involve reserving their labour market for their own citizens, not non-citizens (EU or otherwise) - and then things could change very quickly. Those with dual citizenship will still have a choice of two countries instead of one ...

It doesn't have to involve closing borders to tourist or other movements, just terminating rights of free employment, welfare, etc. No different to the situation as exists between Canada and the USA.

If, as seems likely in the next few years, the Euro fractures or collapses, that could cause labour markets to be closed.

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:28 am

JAJ wrote:
walrusgumble wrote:

The EU immigration arrangements won't come to an end through everyone sitting at a table and deciding all together to do things differently.

It could happen through one country after another (possibly under new governments with different priorities) deciding to look out for their national interest - which may at that point involve reserving their labour market for their own citizens, not non-citizens (EU or otherwise) - and then things could change very quickly. Those with dual citizenship will still have a choice of two countries instead of one ...

It doesn't have to involve closing borders to tourist or other movements, just terminating rights of free employment, welfare, etc. No different to the situation as exists between Canada and the USA.

If, as seems likely in the next few years, the Euro fractures or collapses, that could cause labour markets to be closed.
That would be a major step backwards, that I don't see coming anytime soon.

smalltime

Post by smalltime » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:12 am

the "U" in EU is Union , means its better united dont you think?
2 heads are better than one...

and JAJ dont forget North Ireland is still UK. Ireland and UK share special relationship in terms of their Governments. correct me if im wrong.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:49 am

JAJ wrote:
walrusgumble wrote:

It would have some time trying to explain this to the ECJ (ie restrictions on current member states) as it would infringe on non discrimination of nationalitites. Your right though that it is possible, but to be fair, its like say the world will end in 2012. If Europe had that attitude and treat that all will change in an undefined time period, then nothing would ever be done and the treaty and directives regarding freedom of movement, the core and most visable treaty right would be useless. THe concept of restricting jobs for their own has being dealt with a numberous occassions in the ECJ. In order to change this, a New treaty would need to be drafted and agreed by all countries (or in Ireland put to the people more than once, though I would imagine the anti immigrants would be deligthed to get a chance to have a say on this)

Your are right in way, but can you imagine countries like Poland (which has strong relations and boarder with eg Germany) or any small country like Ireland which depends on relationships with other countries buying into this? It would hardly suit Germany or France either.

Your right yes that it would not stop free movement. But get real. the reality is that the economic success of each country in the EU and the union itself lies on the basis of free movement of capital, goods and services and people / workers. Its one of the main matters provided in the Treaty. You either , as ye have previously stated regarding the 2004 directive, in the union or not

I don't share your pessism regarding the fall of the Union. China and Turkey are the next big places to tap, and they need a united front as a union to compete against the US

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:00 am

walrusgumble wrote:
It would have some time trying to explain this to the ECJ (ie restrictions on current member states) as it would infringe on non discrimination of nationalitites. Your right though that it is possible, but to be fair, its like say the world will end in 2012. If Europe had that attitude and treat that all will change in an undefined time period, then nothing would ever be done and the treaty and directives regarding freedom of movement, the core and most visable treaty right would be useless. THe concept of restricting jobs for their own has being dealt with a numberous occassions in the ECJ. In order to change this, a New treaty would need to be drafted and agreed by all countries
Not needed, if a member state decides to leave the EU, if it feels that membership no longer serves its national interest. You should understand that soveriegn nations can abrogate any treaty at any time.

Now if you suggest that it would be both legally and practically impossible to leave the EU, then you're talking about nations under occupation and even then you may find them forcing their way out of a union they no longer want to be in. It has happened before in other contexts. Not least in what is now the Republic of Ireland in the period up to 1922.

Or a member imposes "temporary" immigration controls and the others start following suit.

I don't want to start suggesting this is imminent tomorrow but it ought to be obvious that over a time period of 10 or 20 years or more, arrangements which are supposedly permanent can become temporary. Which means that if you choose to remain a foreigner relying on the willingness of your country to follow EU regulations, as opposed to a citizen of that country, you're vulnerable. And you're especially vulnerable if you're outside that country when the laws change and then you can't get back in.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:41 am

i totally agreed with JAJ. things can change anytime. just look at the Trans Tasman agreement between Australia and New Zealand. Australia changed it if any New Zealander wants to have government subsidies education. they have to be Australian Citizen but years ago. kiwi can come an study here and have the same social benefits like the aussie. the way is going in EU now, the german flipped out so much money to bail out euro. if it keeps going like this, you never know what the more wealthier EU member states will do.

about the northern ireland thing someone mentioned in this post. UK government did put in lots of money over the year for NI. forget about the trouble created by british and the irish government. one of the main reason that uk government has not let go NI is uk own problem itself. if uk let go of northern ireland. guess what the scottish and welsh nationalist will say about that. but JAJ is right. the EU agreement can change anytime without anyone seeing it coming!