ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship by descent of great grandparent

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Arianna96
Newly Registered

Citizenship by descent of great grandparent

Post by Arianna96 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:59 pm

I'll try to make this as least confusing as possible.

If my great grandfather (my father's grandfather) was born in Ireland, but everyone since then on my father's side was born in the US without claiming dual citizenship, could my father apply for dual citizenship by descent?

And if he gains dual citizenship, could I then apply as well? Could my mother apply?

Or does there have to be a direct line of citizenship for me to be a citizen there?

Trying to clarify the process. Thanks.

KatieWills
Wales

Re: Citizenship by descent of great grandparent

Post by KatieWills » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:18 pm

My understanding is that your father could register but for him to pass it on to you he would have had to have registered before you were born.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... scent.html
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

Wavey

Re: Citizenship by descent of great grandparent

Post by Wavey » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:47 pm

hello Arianna,

Unfortunately Katie is correct. To be eligible for citizenship by descent the line of citizenship must not be broken.
Your father is eligible for citizenship as it his his paternal grandparent you are claiming against
His father would already be an Irish citizen
You would only be eligible if your father already had citizenship before your birth.