ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship through decent

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

patch64
Newly Registered

Citizenship through decent

Post by patch64 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:38 pm

Hi folks.

I am just after some advice on acquiring Irish Citizenship/Passport. My father was Irish and born in Ireland and so I understand that I am already an Irish Citizen. Do I still need to register on the FBR as I was born in England in order to obtain an Irish Passport? Or can I simply apply for a passport?

Thank you in advance.

Patrick

sweetbeatrice
Newly Registered

Re: Citizenship through decent

Post by sweetbeatrice » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:18 pm

I don't believe you have to register with the FBR - but when applying for your passport, you will have to submit yours, and your father's. Your consulate will be able to help you out.

patch64
Newly Registered

Post by patch64 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:50 am

Thanks for the reply. I should have added that my father is deceased. Does that make a diffrence?

sweetbeatrice
Newly Registered

Post by sweetbeatrice » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:08 pm

I think I was missing the term "birth certificate" in the original post. You will likely have to submit your long form birth certificate with your father's long form birth certificate.

More information is on the Dept of Foreign Affairs page: https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenshi ... -passport/