ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Continuous residence for Irish Citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Giri

Continuous residence for Irish Citizenship

Post by Giri » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:42 pm

Hello,

I have a question on Irish citizenship.

They mentioned we must have 4 years of reckonable residence and last 1 year as continuou residence. Do anybody have an idea that last 1 year we cannot go out of the country or any particular period we can leave?

If anybody who has past experience can share your ideas regarding this?

GIRI

mendo

Post by mendo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:57 pm

Do anybody have an idea that last 1 year we cannot go out of the country or any particular period we can leave?
You can leave Ireland as many times as you want in the last year and before, the issue is that you have to have a stamp or stamps from GNIB on your passport that gives you legal residence for at least 12 continuous months, for the previous 12 months preceding the date of your naturalization application ,without any break.

For the first 7 years you are allowed to have breaks in the residency (missing periods not covered by GNIB stamps) they will still add the total number of months and the total has to be 48 months that equals to 4 years.
Add to this the 12 months continuous residence in the last year before your application, and you will have in total 60 months that equals to 5 years in total.At this point you can apply for naturalization and not before, if you do it in advance they will reject your application.

They will only consider the periods covered by GNIB stamps in the passport.

mendo
________

causeway45
Newly Registered
Algeria

Re: Continuous residence for Irish Citizenship

Post by causeway45 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:05 pm

Hi Mendo

I found your part of the thread on this topic and thought of contacting you about this to see if you can offer any help , though it's been years since you wrote it. I live with my wife in N Ireland. She is non-EU. Over the past 3-4 years, she's been living with me in NI for over 1212 days. She has one stamp from Dublin when she arrived in 2014. After just 6 weeks in Ireland, she moved with me to NI, with an EEA Residency Card. Apart from 2-4 weeks each year, she has lived with me on the island. All travelling has been done without going through ROI (ie. Belfast/London, etc).

She has one stamp from Ireland and the other stamps (covering 2-4 weeks at most each year, including May, 2017) are from Algeria. We have our paperwork ready. However, what do we do about 1 year of continuous residence before the date of application? Is this 365 days of continuous unbroken residence (in NI) before we apply or is it dependent on the stamps (and we have just one Irish stamp). We can't apply until we know or the application could be rejected.

Can you shed any light on this, please?

Thanks in advance for ANY help you can offer.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Continuous residence for Irish Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:20 pm

causeway45 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:05 pm
Hi Mendo

I found your part of the thread on this topic and thought of contacting you about this to see if you can offer any help , though it's been years since you wrote it. I live with my wife in N Ireland. She is non-EU. Over the past 3-4 years, she's been living with me in NI for over 1212 days. She has one stamp from Dublin when she arrived in 2014. After just 6 weeks in Ireland, she moved with me to NI, with an EEA Residency Card. Apart from 2-4 weeks each year, she has lived with me on the island. All travelling has been done without going through ROI (ie. Belfast/London, etc).

She has one stamp from Ireland and the other stamps (covering 2-4 weeks at most each year, including May, 2017) are from Algeria. We have our paperwork ready. However, what do we do about 1 year of continuous residence before the date of application? Is this 365 days of continuous unbroken residence (in NI) before we apply or is it dependent on the stamps (and we have just one Irish stamp). We can't apply until we know or the application could be rejected.

Can you shed any light on this, please?

Thanks in advance for ANY help you can offer.
This thread is from 2008!! Kindly refrain from digging up old topics. User mendo last visited the forum in 2011.

You have a topic already, suggest continue there and wait for members to respond.

ireland/continuous-residence-before-app ... l#p1553724
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.