ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Correction of visa type from C to D (INIS's mistake)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

neuron

Correction of visa type from C to D (INIS's mistake)

Post by neuron » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:45 am

So, I arrived in Cork on December 1st, on an employment visa (I'm a non-EU national). Went to the GNIB the next morning, to register, and was told that they can't register me, as I was issued a short-stay C visa by the consulate in my home country, instead of a long-stay D visa! (I thought it was weird that I got a stamp allowing me to stay only until March 1st 2015 at the airport.)

Remembering clearly that I had applied for a D visa (and confirming it by looking at the printout of the application I have scanned on my phone), I called INIS immediately. They were very helpful, and told me that they can see in the system that it's their mistake, and that they will give me a call in about 2 weeks, and that they will send a letter to the GNIB in Cork to change my visa type and register me.

I gave them a call on December 17th, but the phone lines had already been switched off. So, I emailed them (visamail@justice.ie), and they responded the same day saying that they are in contact with the consulate in my home country, and that they'll contact me in due course.

Tried ringing them up on January 5th, but the phones are still switched off. Emailed them, no response yet.

Has anyone been in this situation, and do you guys and girls have any more advice on what to do? Would emailing them again on Monday make any sense, or can it be counter-productive?

Thank you!

neuron

Re: Correction of visa type from C to D (INIS's mistake)

Post by neuron » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:53 pm

So, phoned the consulate today, and they told me INIS only contacted them regarding the matter last week, to request they re-send all of my visa documents. Also e-mailed INIS today again, no response yet. (Their phones are still switched off, of course.)

neuron

Post by neuron » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:14 pm

Got an email from them today, saying that it's taken a while because they had to get all my paperwork again from the consulate. They also asked me for my current address.

So, hopefully that settles it this week (or next, probably).

CalvinKlien
Mood:
Ireland

Post by CalvinKlien » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:37 am

Sorry to hear about ur story neuron, The same thing happened to me in 2012 when my wife arrived here.

We discussed the matter on the window with the visa officer, the supervisor got involved and he was very rude. The visa officer checked the system and he acknowledged yes the problem is on our end but the supervisor took it personal and he completely ignored that the issue is on INIS end.

The visa officer told me that he would have helped me but as the supervisor is involved now so he can't do any thing for us. It was a complete bullying....

We ended up applying in General Immigration section and after 1 month they sent us a letter for extending the visa in a proper category. You are lucky at least no one has denied you but hope for the best and Good Luck

neuron

Post by neuron » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:46 pm

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask (just in case) - what is General Immigration, and how did you reach them?

CalvinKlien
Mood:
Ireland

Post by CalvinKlien » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:18 pm

General Immigration deals with general issues like urs or mine 2 years later,

Plz keep posted the outcome of your story....

neuron

Post by neuron » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:34 pm

I received a letter in the mail this morning from INIS, but from Unit 2 - Residence Division, dated January 16th, informing me that they have received my application, and will contact me in due course. They also gave me a reference number for my "application".

Does this make sense? I only have 6 weeks left on my C visa here, and with the speed things are moving (the first time I called them about this is December 2nd), I'm concerned if the matter will be sorted out in time. Should I email them, or just wait?

CalvinKlien
Mood:
Ireland

Post by CalvinKlien » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:12 pm

Since the organization and structural changes in INIS they have merged the general immigration in a residence division. Well this is what exactly happened in my wife case. We received a letter from them with a reference number in few days and were told that this office will be in touch in due course and within few weeks we got the decision.

In ur case as u have only 6 weeks left, i would advise to wait for 2 to 3 weeks if u get some kind of decision and than send them a letter asking for the outcome. Make sure to send them every letter via registered post and quote ur reference number in subject.

All the best

neuron

Post by neuron » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:07 am

So, I got the letter from INIS, Unit 2, this morning.

It informs me that, "as an exceptional measure, I have been granted temporary permission to remain in the State, on Stamp 1 conditions, for one year to continue my employment with Company X, without the need for a work permit". At the end of the letter, it also states that "further permission is to be made as an application in writing to this office a month prior to the expiry date of your permission".

Now, I have a Green Card permit, and I was under the impression that I could register for a Stamp 1 for two years. Also, that extending that to a Stamp 4 later on means just going to the GNIB again.

I have a feeling that they disregarded the fact I have a 2-year Green Card, and are allowing me to register as if I had a general work permit. Should I write them to appeal this? Should the fact that they mention "an exceptional measure" give ma cause for concern?

banana07
Member of Standing

Post by banana07 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:12 am

man, greencard stamp 1 is given only for a year (1 YEAR WORK AUTHORIZATION), and then given again for another year then you will get stamp 4 afterwards (subject to complying for the 2 previous years with greencard conditions)

Note: DEJI put it 2 years to save you another 1K when you apply for a new one after a year.. so the whole stupid paper they gave to you and called greencard letter is totally useless from now on, and you will always live on the gnib stamp and card.. forget about the greencard letter now..

the exception they mention is to give you a gnib stamp based on c class - gnib stamps ONLY put based on D class visa, hence they called it an exception

I would certainly be happy to get this stamp done on C class - as they usually say its a mistake and its too late to fix it, so leave the country and apply again for D class visa bla bla bla.. they once stamped my passport for 3 days rather than 3 months - total mistake at airport.. and not even President of EU would have been able to fix it, and I pretty much looked illegal to other countries and was very hard to convince them its a mistake of border control.. so I moved on and I always pretend nothing happened
I'm officially diagnosed with INIS "processing" phobia

neuron

Post by neuron » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:24 am

Hey, thanks for the prompt reply, that really puts me at ease! I'll go and register with the GNIB first thing tomorrow morning.

Can you just tell me, after one year, do I register with the GNIB directly, or do I first need to write to Unit 2 again, and wait for a letter from them before re-registering?

banana07
Member of Standing

Post by banana07 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:00 am

With gnib direct subject to employment letter pay slips p60 and address.. No question asked and u will get one more year

neuron

Post by neuron » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:06 am

So, I managed to register successfully at Anglesea Street Garda Station this morning.

BUT, the woman told me that, due to the way the INIS letter was worded ("permission to remain in the State on Stamp 1 for one year without a work permit", she registered me for a Stamp 1, but not as a Green Card holder (though she did note in my file I have a Green Card). She also told me that, due to the INIS letter saying "further permission to remain in the State is to be applied for with this Office", I would have to apply to Unit 2 first after a year, and not directly with the GNIB!

She also advised me to write to INIS to ask them to clarify whether I would be eligible for a Stamp 4 after two years?!

banana07
Member of Standing

Post by banana07 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:36 pm

Man - Im originally on greencard.. and i can assure you it says the same thing it says on your current stamp. there is no mention at all (and will never be!) of greencard but on inis computer.. and you will get stamp 4 after two years without asking for it!! thats only if you can survive the whole crap of paddies for further 2 years from now.

chill - its totally perfect and the word greencard is only from DEJI guys and only on that big paper with your photo on that you will never use again unless you bring it on next renewal of stamp 1 (just for the criac!).. from now on, forget this word, and know that you have more obligations (more tax, more strict options etc), but easier future (if the bill of 2010 comes in effect - which is not happening before 8 to 10 years anyway!).. in return to not compete against EU market for your current position (which was and is the only wall everybody faces!)

enjoy your stamp! and congrats future paddy..

neuron

Post by neuron » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:50 pm

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement, and clarifications!

This forum has really helped me out a lot, I hope I'll be able to contribute back more in the future!