ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Defacto visa

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

twista
Ireland

Defacto visa

Post by twista » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi

I'm lodging my defacto visa. I'm concerned that the information I submit won't be enough. I've been looking at the decisions pages and have noticed the refusals on various grounds. I'm
Wondering whether anyone know if the inis request further information if they have not been provided enough information or do they simply reject the application and you have to relodge and start the waiting game again. Thanks

jeupsy

Re: Defacto visa

Post by jeupsy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:30 pm

I think if there is a document missing and it is obvious you meant to include it, they will ask for it before declining (for example if you are mentioning in a cover letter than you would include electricity bills with both names on them but they are not included with they application them will likely call you and ask if you forgot to include them).

On the other hand if what you provided is not sufficient but they have no reason to believe you had more to submit - I think they will just reject and they won't chase you asking for more documents.

miamiheat
Newly Registered

Post by miamiheat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:41 pm

Hello,
I am posting here as my questions correspond to the heading and if someone seeks answers they may find them all here. Moderators feel free to move this is you think it is not a the correct approach.

I have read a few threads about Defacto relationship and visas. From the thread I interpreted (perhaps wrongly) that it was necessary to prove 2 years of continuous relationship in order to be eligible. But when i read the immigration website they seem to indicate that the couple must prove 2 years of living together immediately prior to the application. I wonder if I am interpreting right or if immigration applies certain practices which may not be exactly what's on text.

My case: I am a French national living in Ireland since June 2009, I have met my girlfriend in Thailand in July 2012: from that moment on we never stopped communicating. We met the same year for 2 weeks in DUBAI, then she came to Ireland 3 times as a tourist (2, months, 3 months and 3 months). I went to Thailand 3 weeks in 2013 to have a holiday with her. Then she got a student visa to study English for a year and she flew in October 2014 with permission to stay until October 2015. Every single trip she made was in respect of the dates allowed on her passport, staying with me and I have always paid all expenses. During that time we also went to Miami for a week, and she was granted 2 Schengen visas to go to Spain in the last 4 months and is getting a 3rd one in a few days. She has been on my lease(s) since October 2014. All the trips mentioned were done together, and can be certified by friends or family: we have pics, tickets etc...
I guess what I am trying to get to here is that I have plenty to document a steady relationship for 2 years and 8 months. I wanted to apply for Defacto visa early enough to avoid doing another student visa. Do you think it's possible ?
thank you

janesx
Newly Registered

Post by janesx » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:38 pm

twista wrote:Wondering whether anyone know if the inis request further information if they have not been provided enough information or do they simply reject the application
They request further info - been there, done that. If the extra documents are not suficient they will advise on a time a new application can be lodged.
miamiheat wrote:I have plenty to document a steady relationship for 2 years and 8 months. I wanted to apply for Defacto visa early enough to avoid doing another student visa. Do you think it's possible ?
The website is crystal clear:

1. In order to assess whether the couple is in a genuine long-term relationship it will be necessary for the couple to provide dated documentary evidence of cohabitation for at least two years. i.e. the couple must be able to show that they have been living together for at least two full years immediately prior to the date of application

2. If couple claim they have maintained their relationship during the two year period by merely visiting each other as often as they can, this will not be sufficient to demonstrate a committed De Facto relationship.

14. The Sponsor may only sponsor one Applicant in any seven (7) year period. :!:
careful with whom you put your neck on the line for
Last edited by janesx on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:51 pm

I think you have a good case and it is definitly worth applying.

You will be applying for a de-facto residence card under EU Treaty rights which is not the same as if you were Irish, and the rules are a bit more flexible.

I can tell from my own experience that they don't always expect 2 years of cohabitation but rather expect 2 years of documented relashionship (my girlfriend and I only had 3 months living toghether in China and 3 months in France over a 2 years period when she got a visa to join me here under EU Treaty rights, and was able to apply for a residence card as soon as she arrived).

miamiheat
Newly Registered

Post by miamiheat » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:55 pm

Guys thanks a lot for the answers.
I just logged in now and read them.

I did read the website and yes it did look clear to me, but without going into a long story I was also in a situation before with another government body where the rules were one thing and clearly specified and common practice was slightly different (more practical). This is why I asked.
Thanks Jeupsy I think I will take my chances and try. I have definitely loads of proofs and witnesses. Worst case i have to wait a few more months.