ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual citizenship-Irish and British

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Gedk66

Dual citizenship-Irish and British

Post by Gedk66 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:45 pm

I have dual British and Irish citizenship and I want to relocate to Ireland with my wife and two children. My wife is Colombian and our children currently have British passports, but we hope to arrange Irish after the period of waiting through Foreign Birth Registry.

:What is the best way to enter and ultimately relocate and settle with my wife and children please?

:We will have a substantial cash savings after the sale of property in the UK, so we can afford to buy a house straight away. Does this have any bearing?

:As we are living overseas-the middle east- can or should we apply for a D join spouse visa, or should we enter through my British passport?

:Once our children have Irish passports, will this be taken into account in regards of my wife being 'allowed to remain in Ireland'..?

Many thanks in advance...

pinkunicorn
Newly Registered

Re: Dual citizenship-Irish and British

Post by pinkunicorn » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:31 am

Is your wife currently living with you in the UK? If so, there MAY be a possibility to bring her in under EEA treaty rights (this is usually done in reverse, when it is known as the Surinder Singh route, because of how difficult it is for some groups to bring their spouse into the UK). However, I believe this option would require you to renounce your Irish citizenship, as otherwise you cannot be present in Ireland other than under Irish immigration law. This, of course, is risky as you do not know the future of the EEA and the UK's presence. There are, however, other treaties with Ireland that would assure a reasonable level of safety.

Now, the good news - if you were able to bring your spouse to the UK, you will almost certainly be able to bring her to Ireland. There is a process, and one I'm not as familiar with, but it is MUCH easier than in the UK. I will also note that the reverse is true - without renouncing your British citizenship, you will not be able to bring her to the UK under EEA treaty rights with you after living in Ireland.

As for your children, I wouldn't worry too much right now. For all practical purposes, Irish citizenship offers them no real benefit at this time. I speak this as a triple citizen. I have Irish, British, and American citizenship. Irish citizenship is nice, because it means having future options if the UK's relationship with the EEA were to change. But at this time, it's not a big deal. Focus on your wife's status.

Gedk66

Re: Dual citizenship-Irish and British

Post by Gedk66 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:50 pm

Hi pinkunicorn,
My wife and I are resident in Oman, where I currently have a contract to work until 2015/16 at least. I don't want to enter the UK or try to. We are looking to settle in Ireland only. If I were able to bring my wife to the UK, then I probably wouldn't consider Ireland, but as UK immigration is nigh on impossible these days, I'm not interested in trying.

I really don't fully understand which way to proceed and it's very confusing trying to get a grip on EU Treaty or Irish Immigration Laws. I was hoping someone might have been in a similar situation and could offer some words of wisdom.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice.

Cheers.