ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit for Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

khanz

EEA Family Permit for Ireland

Post by khanz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi All,

I am a british citizen and recently got an IT contract job in Dublin, Ireland. I have a limited company in UK
and the salary from the Irish client would be going to my company's bank account in UK. In Dublin, I am
staying in a hotel at the moment but intend to move into a rented house soon.

My wife has Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and my mother has two years family visitors visa for UK. They
went back to Pakistan in October 2013. But as now I have started a new contract role in Dublin, so, I am
planning to apply for their EEA Family Permit visa from Pakistan.

Can someone please guide me about the procedure and the documents required?

Thanks,
Khan

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Re: EEA Family Permit for Ireland

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:35 pm

Initial documents:

Your passport - to show you are EU citizen
Passport of wife and passport of mother - as proof of identity
Marriage cert original - to show relationship to wife
Birth cert original (yours) - to show parent/child relationship to mother.
It would also be good if you could include a document to show that mum had a two year family visitor visa for the UK, and that she was a member of your household in the UK.

Later documents:
PPS numbers for you, wife mother - it is best to get these within three months of your arrival in Ireland, you give as reason the fact that you need pps number for wife and mother in order to claim the tax advantages associated with supporting your wife and dependent mother.
Proof of address- your landlord will register your tenancy of your home with a government body called PTRB, and they give a document as proof that you are a tenant. It is best to get your wife and mother on the tenancy also, and in order to register them as tenants you must give the landlord their pps numbers as this number is required to register their tenancy.
Proof of address in the form of a household bill addressed to your home in Ireland - again, if you can get all three names on the household bill this is best.
Proof of income - this may be a problem for you, as the company set up you indicate seems complex. Basically your company will need to pay you a salary in Ireland on which you pay tax and get a payslip as proof of income or you will need to register as self employed and complete the necessary documents for self employment to show that you are self employed in Ireland. Either way, basically you must pay your income tax in Ireland and not in the UK in order to have income documents to present at the end of your first three months in Ireland.
Health insurance for mum/wife
It would be a good idea for you to deposit 100 euro per week in the bank account of your mum, to show that she is dependent on you, and to continue doing so until she is an Irish citizen.

If mum/wife have a visa which permits their return to UK, then they can return to UK and travel across the border into Republic, and then go immediately to immigration to ask for visa (this may work well in the case of mum especially).

If your wife gives birth to a child in Ireland that child is an Irish citizen (as the child of a British citizen).
BL

khanz

Post by khanz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Hi, thanks for your detailed reply. I am bit confused about the stages you mentioned for documents i.e. Initial documents and later documents. Would you please explain about this?

My mum's UK visa is valid till March 2015 which would be obvious from her passport and we can also mention about that in a covering letter.

Inclusion of my wife and mother in the tenancy agreement would only be possible after their arrival in Ireland but I would need to arrange a house before they come.

Actually, my first objective is to bring them to Ireland. The question is should they come to UK first on the UK visas they already have and then travel from UK to Ireland if possible. Or should they both apply from Pakistan the visa for Ireland and then come to Ireland to stay with me.

The second objective is once they arrive in Ireland, they stay with me for as long as I have my job contract with Irish company (may be 6 to 12 months). After that we would travel together to UK for good. There might be a possibility of choosing Ireland for longer period if my family like Ireland more than UK and I keep getting good paying contracts in Ireland.
By the way, how long it takes to get Irish citizenship. My wife has UK ILR and she needs to live in UK for three consecutive years to get the citizenship.

As far as the UK limited company is concerned, I can setup a new limited company in Ireland with the same name and ask my employer to re-draft the contract in name of my new Irish company.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:16 am

Your mum should go to UK, then Northern Ireland, and you should drive to Northern Ireland with your birth cert and passport to collect her and bring her to Republic. Then you both go to immigration office and ask for her visa (or you ask at the border if you are stopped there).

Your wife has a right to join her EU migrant worker husband - she just needs her passport and marriage certificate and can travel from either UK or Pakistan, although it is probably easier if she travels with mum. The problem is that your mum does not have as strong a right as your wife - your mum must be able to show that she is dependent on you. If she applies for a visa from Pakistan it will be refused. If she travels to UK and then to Dublin and applies for her visa there it will be more difficult to refuse it.

The immigration office will give a three month visa on the strength of passports and certificates (birth/marriage). That is why I called these the initial documents. You then need the 'later documents' at the end of the three months, to get the three month visa extended for another six months. At the end of the six months they will ask for proof of employment again, and then they get EU FAM visa for 5 years.

A person needs to live legally in Ireland for five years before they can apply for Irish citizenship (three if they are the spouse of an Irish citizen). Then it may take as much as a year to process the application, so I think six years should be allowed if you wish to calculate the length of time for citizenship.
BL

khanz

Post by khanz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:50 pm

My mother and wife went back to Pakistan in end of October 2013. I started job in Ireland in mid Jan 2014 but I am traveling UK every weekend (I am staying in hotel during week days). Would it be OK if my family travel to UK in April and then I bring them to Ireland? I would have spent three months working in Ireland by then, could that cause any issue? should I keep any time frame in mind? There are some family commitments so the earliest they can come to UK is end of March. Meanwhile, I can get a house on rent, get my pps number, setup a limited company in Ireland and get my salary start to be paid in company's account in Ireland. Does it sound like a plan?

Initially I was told by someone to apply the EEA family permit in Irish embassy in Pakistan. But after your reply, I have discarded that plan because I do not want to take the risk of refusal because that could affect even her chance to enter the UK for visit.

Thanks.

Premier2013
Newly Registered

Post by Premier2013 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:23 pm

Salam,
I saw your post on the board and thought to give you some information regarding the family permit as I am going through the same situation as you are. Oh.... My name is Asif.....

Before you apply for the permit (from Pakistan) you will need following documents;
Rental agreement
Bank statements (1-3 months)
Accountant letter and if you can also get proof that you are registered with tax office.
Gas/electricity bill
Proof of PPS no
Obviously you will be applying for your mother as your dependent hence you will need to submit the money transfer receipts.

Your mother will also need to get some other documents! I'll let you know once I have got personnel reply from you.
I'm going through very hard time as my widow mother is in Pakistan so I am in the process to call her into Ireland.
You can either PM me or email me at asifjaved.dpsi@hotmail.co.uk

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:35 pm

Your plan sounds good. The reason the visa will be refused if mum applies from Pakistan is usually financial. The refusal will accept that she is financially dependent on you and will say that you can continue to send money to Pakistan, as the dependence is financial only. If she is present in Ireland with you when she applies, then you can say that the dependence is social/emotional, due to the confusion of old age she needs familiar family members with her, and as you live in Ireland she must live with you. It is very difficult to refuse the visa in this circumstance, as the Irish public have a great respect for elderly mammies, and no state official wants to be at the centre of a public relations disaster.

Think about the following. The average Irish resident, in the last twenty years of life, gets a state pension worth apprx quarter million euro over those twenty years. They also spend the last four years of life in a nursing home, which is another quarter million. They get heavily subsidised or free medicine, and over the last twenty years of life this may amount to one hundred thousand of cost, if they are in relatively good health. If they have a serious condition it is significantly more. Elderly people coming from poor countries are more likely to have a serious health issue, eg TB. So if your mum applies when living in Pakistan this is why there is a strong chance of refusal - the cost of each old person living here is in excess of half a million euro over the last twenty years of life. (This is not a criticism of old people, it is the type of calculation that public servants consider when making decisions). I also fully understand that many of these costs may not apply to your mother, but public servants look at the average.

There should not be any problem with them coming to UK then Ireland even if you are here slightly more than three months. This is because you are working, if you were not working it would be a problem. So you simply say that you came here to work and now that you are satisfied that the job is sufficient to support wife/mum you have called them to join you in Ireland.

When you rent the house you can ask if the bills can be changed to the name of your family. If the landlord says yes then you can put the bills in all three names - the utility companies will usually permit this, as they are interested in being paid, not in checking to see if mum/wife are still in Pakistan.

It is usually advisable for mum/wife to join one social activity and to attend each week (eg religious services) so that people can confirm they have been resident in Ireland, if they later intend to apply for citizenship.

Hi Asif,

The latest guidance is that you need to earn 60 thousand per year to bring one parent from a non-EU country, if you are yourself an Irish citizen. Can you let us know if you succeed, as so far the only people I know who have succeeded were EU migrant workers who applied for the visa for the non-EU parent AFTER that parent had arrived in Ireland.

The other poster is I think a UK citizen, and different rules apply to him as he is considered a migrant worker, so he does not need to earn any particular minimum amount in order to bring his mum from the UK to Ireland under EU migrant worker law.
BL