ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Elderly parents thinking of moving to Ireland.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Gridgeeks
Newly Registered

Elderly parents thinking of moving to Ireland.

Post by Gridgeeks » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:29 pm

Hello all.

I'm new to the forum, and I can't see a similar question on looking, so hope it's ok to ask here...

I'm the carer for my elderly parents. Both are retired now; my father with industrial injury and they're both on a State pension. My mother also receives attendance allowance as she needs care more than my father.

They're thinking of moving to the RoI - my mother's family originally came from there, but they're unsure of what would happen to these benefits that they are entitled to. Being part of the CTA, would they still be entitled to them? Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you

noajthan

Re: Elderly parents thinking of moving to Ireland.

Post by noajthan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:14 pm

If British and moving from Britain should be all good. Same as for Irish folks moving to UK.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:45 pm

Gridgeeks wrote:Hello all.

I'm new to the forum, and I can't see a similar question on looking, so hope it's ok to ask here...

I'm the carer for my elderly parents. Both are retired now; my father with industrial injury and they're both on a State pension. My mother also receives attendance allowance as she needs care more than my father.

They're thinking of moving to the RoI - my mother's family originally came from there, but they're unsure of what would happen to these benefits that they are entitled to. Being part of the CTA, would they still be entitled to them? Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you
Agree with previous post,

Once they move to the ROI as a priority the parents need to:

1. Have a registered ROI address i.e. tenancy agreement or something similar
2. Register for a utility bill
3. Register with a GP
4. Once the above are at hand they need to apply for National Insurance Numbers (PPSN in ROI) on the grounds of needing a medical card (which they fully qualify). Their GP will need to sign part of the Medical Card application form - something that will not be an issue

As for the benefits or support it would be advisable to arrange a trip to the Local Social Welfare office and speak in person for the benefits the parents will be able to avail in the ROI

Good luck

Gridgeeks
Newly Registered

Post by Gridgeeks » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:07 pm

Thank you both for helping out, I really appreciate it. It's certainly made them feel a lot better about going now, so they don't miss out. We'll look into it some more, but thanks for giving us a heads up. :)