ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eu citizen in Ireland with spouse on d visa- GNIB

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nch10011
Newly Registered

Eu citizen in Ireland with spouse on d visa- GNIB

Post by nch10011 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:29 pm

Hi
My wife came to Ireland on a D visa. In the airport she was told to register at local Gardai. We went there. We were told that we might as well apply directly to Ministry of Justice.
On the form is asks for "medical proof (if applicable)". What is this? Is it nessesary to have insurance to get a GNIB card?

I thought she was automatically granted GNIB card.

DO any of you have anything to add. Should I just apply for her without insurance?

I am eu citizen, and the first six month here, I did not have insurance and that was no prob. Now, at my new job I will get insurance in three months, but she obviously does not have a job yet, and it might take her a few months to get such. So is insurance needed to get GNIB card.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:12 am

Hi nch10011,

I dont think the guidelines are laid out anywhere, but when I spoke to the GNIB about this, I was told told that when my husband enters the country on his D-Spouse visa (whenever it is granted!) he will have to firstly get health insurance, and then apply for his GNIB card. As an EU citizen you are entitled to reciprocal health care in Ireland. I am presuming your wife is a non-EU citizen, and therefore has to prove that she will "not become a burden on the state". I know that non-EU spouses of Irish citizens who enter on D-Spouse visas must first get health insurance before getting their GNIB card, but I didnt think it was a requirement for the EU1 applications (i.e. non EU spouses of EU citizens). Best thing to do is to find out for sure by calling the Dept of Justice helpline on 01-6167700 (then #3, then #2 for EU Residence queries). This section is open M-W-F from 10:00-12:00

If you read http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ght=#57211 a fellow poster Static was in a similar situation to yourself. I presume when you say "the form", you mean the EU1 form?

archigabe

thanks

Post by archigabe » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:14 pm

Hi Scrudu,
thanks for the info on the justice dept helpline! I am in Ireland now with my wife and trying to figure out the next step.the immigration officer at the airport just told us to go to GNIB with my wife's passport and marriage cert etc, but not about the EU1 form nor the health insurance though we have both with us now. I am now trying to figure out if I shld join the long queue that seems to start at 7am in the morning outside GNIB in the quays or if we can just go anytime and just get a token since my wife will be able to take a leave of absence of only one day from work.Hopefully the helpline can give us the info.thanks again!

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:01 am

Hey Archigabe,

Congrats on finally making it here and rejoining your wife! From what Static and nch10011 say, it sounds like you have to go via the EU1 form which must be posted to the INIS dept of the Dept of Justice.

I don't think the immigration police at the airport have caught up with the new laws that came into place in May (EU1 forms etc). But again, best is to confirm with Immigration. This process is quite new so I dont think there's anyone on these forums who has successfully gone through it yet to give advice about it.

Another line you can call is the GNIB directly on +353 1 6669100 as they are the ones you are seeking to register with. Best of luck!!

Static

Post by Static » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:48 pm

Hi Archigabe! Don't waste time with queing like we did, really! Total waste of time. Just post off your EU 1 form and hang in there. I put all my things in a flip-file with an index and placemarks. Hope this is going to help my application. Also... send in originals of everything. It's a pain in the butt, but what can you do. I was told by the Immigrant Council that they'll just reject your application immediately if you don't do that. Hope this helps.

rafo
Newly Registered

Post by rafo » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:13 pm

Hi Static, I got a different information from the Immigration Office. They advised me not to send the original documents but photocopies along with the EU-1.
I was very worried about sending the originals. Suppose you need to leave the country due to an emergency. You might need your passports with you.
Regards,
Rafael

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:49 am

Hey Rafo,
I think you'll definitely need to send your original passports with your application. Normally if you need the passport back, you can apply for it back. I think they point out on the EU1 form which documents need to be sent in their original form.

archigabe

EU1 form

Post by archigabe » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:40 pm

Hi Scrudu,
Congratulations on the success of your husband's visa application.thanks for the advice Static unfortunately before I noticed your advice, my wife took a day off and we went to GNIB as adviced by immigration officer.We were then adviced there to send all docs by registered post.It's the waiting game for us now!

infinita
Newly Registered

Post by infinita » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:25 pm

I am in the same situation : I entered Ireland with D visa-EU national's spouse in June.In the airport,I was told to register in GNIB.So I went there the next day.But i was told that I need apply for the EU residence card instead.Then I downloaded the Form EU1 and sent the application,along with the original marriage cert and rent book to EU treaty rights section.I didn't send my passport,by the way.
I called the immigration office in two weeks after i sent my application.They told me that they received nothing.I contacted the post office and was told that my registered mail has been successfully delivered.What a ridiculous incident!I had to question the bureau system of irish goverment....
Then I called again and again.I went to the reception of immigration office again and again.....It was not until September that I was confirmed that they received my application and everything is in process!
The problem is that no matter where I go,I am asked to present my GNIB card (green card).In welfare offfice,in FAS,in medical service,they all asked me to present my green card.After I told them that I don't have one and I am waiting for the EU residence card,few people believed that!Because the GNIB card is so vital for a non-EU national here in Ireland.
Recently i found that I am pregnant and for some paperwork i was asked again for the green card.So today I went to the GNIB and queued for a long time.The man told me exactly what they have told Static that I need medical insurance,etc.I feel soooo lucky to discover this place today.Otherwise I would undergo another useless waiting challenge.
Well,I think what I can do now is waiting for the EU card rather than bothering those GNIB officers, right?
I'd like to provide some useful information too,as a thank-you to everyone here.For example,for those who wanna work here or register in FAS,you may be asked for Stamp 4.In that case,u may try in the FAS nearest to the immigration office.They know about the new policy and would attest ur right to work here in ireland.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:11 pm

Thanks Archigabe! Sorry you are now facing the frustration of waiting for the EU card. Its funny how this process was brought in to speed up the process of allowing spouses/partners of EU citizens working rights in other EU countries, but it just seems to have slowed up things in Ireland.

infinita: Yes, you now need to wait on the EU Treaty Rights Section of the Dept of Justice to process your application, not the GNIB. Yes, it does seem crazy that you have to wait for the EU 1 application to be processed before you can register with the Garda, especially as you have a D-Spouse visa which entitles you to stay longer than 3 months!

Just a note, my husband was able to apply for his PPS number without a Greencard. At the time he only had a tourist visa for Ireland. He registered with the Dept of Social Welfare and they only asked for proof of address etc. as outlined in the website.

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:39 pm

We tried applying for a PPS number for my wife today. We are in the same boat, as my wife is awaiting the approval of the EU1 application.

But they said that they can't issue a PPS number until we have the residence permit approved. We even had our marriage certificate and the 69 number with us. They were very friendly, but were not able to provide us with a PPS number. This was in Dun Laoghaire, btw.

infinita
Newly Registered

Post by infinita » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:30 am

dsab85: Thanks for your information about contacting immigration office.I did the same.But everytime they just told me "it's in process" and nothing else.That's pretty frustrating.When I tried to ask more,they excused that "it's in charge by the supervisor not us".Anyway,waiting now.
As for ur wife,I totally understand what she feels now coz I had the similiar experience.However,I've successfully obtained my PPS and a part-time job.As for the PPS,the receptionist did ask for my greencard.I answered:"I don't have it.But please check my visa.it's a special type (D-EU nationals spouse)".She did and issued me the pps number.But I can tell u that the greencard wasn't so important according to her tone.She just asked me to provide passport and residency proof (rent book or bills,etc.) You may try again.Better in the welfare of another area,if u can.I did it in Tallaght,btw.
U read scrudu's husband's story.He made it without greencard too.So i think it's the problem of the welfare center in Dun Laoghaire. (it's very beautiful there though).
Scrudu: I really really admire what u have done for ur husband.Now I do think that I didn't try enough to get things smoother.

rafo
Newly Registered

Post by rafo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:20 pm

Hi there,
From what I read on the last few posts, it seems that people waiting for the EU1 form to be processed have rights to work in the meantime (if they have a PPS number).
My wife is Brazilian and I am Portuguese, we married in Ireland 2 years ago (when the rules were different), but left the country for 9 months.
She returned to Ireland on the first of August 2006 (3 months ago) and her passport was stamped with a "Join spouse" stamp valid for one month. We sent the documents along with the EU1 to the Immigration office after few days(following the new rules).
She is very depressed (as all people on her situation) because cannot do anything but wait. She still has her PPS number (because she was working in Ireland before).
Is she entitled to work?
Regards,
Rafael

rafo
Newly Registered

Post by rafo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:26 pm

Hi,
I am just coming from the Immigration Office.
Unfortunately, my wife is not entitled to work (even having a PPS number) while waiting for the EU1 be processed.
As my wife has been very depressed due to this tough situation, they advised us to go to a doctor and send the doctor's letter to the same address specified in the EU1 form.
Finally, as my wife wants to start an English course, they informed she could apply for a student visa if we enroll her in a school.
So now we are feeling a lot better, because with the student visa, she could at least work in a part time job and also practise English.
Regards,
Rafael

infinita
Newly Registered

Post by infinita » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:45 am

HI
I am wondering if anybody's visa is exactly same as mine. IE:
Type:D
No.of Entry:01
Duration of stay:**
Remarks:D-Spouse of EU National B/O

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:46 am

dsab85: That information is incorrect. If you read the following 2 information sources, there is NO mention of requiring a Green Card, or GNIB registration card. Perhaps print out the information and bring it with you?

According to http://oasis.gov.ie/employment/starting ... umber.html
If you are not Irish, you will need to produce the following documents:
* Your passport or national identity card
Or
* Your Immigration Card
And
* Evidence of your address, such as a household bill (ESB, telephone, gas, etc.) in your name.
According to http://www.welfare.ie/foi/cis_ppsallprocs.html
5.5 PROOF OF ID - NON EEA NATIONALS

* Current Valid Passport or Certificate of Registration with the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Green Book or Plastic Card)
and
* Evidence of either birth/work*/unemployment/residency/tax liability/education in the foreign country.
(* includes Work Permit or letter from the Dept. of Justice, Equality and Law Reform giving permission to work)
and
* Evidence of address in Ireland
5.7 The usual proof of address is a utility/household bill but if you don't have one the following are acceptable alternative documents showing address: Official letter/document, financial statement, property lease or tenancy agreement, receipt/bill for rented accommodation, a letter from your employer confirming employment and showing your address. If you are staying with friends or relatives and have none of the above documents then a letter from the householder confirming your residency is acceptable. You will appreciate that all above documents must show both your name and Irish address. If you are a married woman where no bills or documents are in your own name you should mention this and present the household bill.
My husband was in the country on a C-Tourist visa when he applied for his PPS number at the Dept of Social Welfare. We brought our folder of evidence (stuff we use for Dept of Justice), but only had to submit the following docs which were photocopied.
a) his passport
b) his birth cert (translated)
c) a letter written by me to say he was resident at our address (Proof of Address)
d) our marriage certificate to show that I was his wife (Proof of Address)

We applied at:
Social Welfare Local Office
Bishop Square
Redmond's Hill
Dublin 2
Co. Dublin

infinita: Thanks for your wishes. On a more positive note, my husband arrived into the country on his D-Spouse (of Irish) visa, and after queueing at the Immi office, he got his GNIB green card, and applied for his re-entry visa. So after 1 day everything was sorted! Such a relief after the last year of trips back and forth to Indonesia, to finally have him here and long-term legal to work and reside :)

As for your question about the visa type, my husbands said the same apart from "Spouse of Irish Citizen" instead of "Spouse of EU Citizen"

kab118
Newly Registered

Residence card issues

Post by kab118 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I just want to share what i know and found out with you....I am french and i have been living here since 1999. I got married last year and my husband is turkish. After being wrongly informed we managed to get the D visa for him to come here.....He arrived the beginning of July, although the airpot told us to go to the GNIB office to get registered, when we got there it was a totally different story. Nobody really knew what to do with us as it was a new procedure in place apparently. After a few visits to their office, we found out about this insurance policy requirement the EU1 form....etc. So we manage to get all the papers together and send it registered mail by the end of July.......Of course like all of you we are still waiting. My husband is at home bored everyday, and he is really getting depress, it has been 4 months now......Out of curiosity i ask them why they have changed the procedures, well this is what they answerd:"They want to make sure that the person who is a EU citizen is working here, as there has been lots of abuse from student." So they said up to 6 months. But this weekend, by a friend of a friend who works there, we found out that all files must be 6 months to the date, before they do send out anything............
:shock: So to all of you do not desper, we are all in the same boat, just prepare all docs and original ( they refuse even an email confirmation of my health insurance) one before your loved one gets here so it will make it a bit easier for you, send it registered post and call them at this number 01-616-7700 press 3 and press 3 again to make sure they got your file (they answer the fone only monday-wednesday-friday 10 till 12.30 and 2 till 4pm.....To get them call at 10 am or 2pm sharp otherwise you cannot get through the queues. And then just prepare yourself for 6 months of waiting. Sorry for been so long but i hope it will help you all.....

zaidatheer
Newly Registered

PPS Number

Post by zaidatheer » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:11 pm

Hi All,

I just got back from the Dept of Social Welfare, I showed them my passport visa (EU - spouse) and entry stamp ( I am non-EU married to EU) and I showed them a proof of address and I got the PPS number (it will be posted within 10 days), straightforward process.

Just wanted to share this information with you in case somebody wanted to apply for the PPS.

Thanks for your post
Regards,
Zaid

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:22 am

rafo wrote:H
My wife is Brazilian and I am Portuguese, we married in Ireland 2 years ago (when the rules were different), but left the country for 9 months.
Is there any possibility for your wife to get Portuguese citizenship by marriage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_nationality_law

efi
Newly Registered

Post by efi » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:36 am

Hi, I read a lot of usefull information here, thanks for you. But there are a couple question what is not very clear for me.
IF I'm an EU citizens and I want to work and take my non EU husband with me:
How can I prove the health insurance for him. If I have a job my husband can have the insurance from my job or we have to pay some extra privat insurance for him?
Rafo wrote his wife got the student visa and the part time work permit for the period of processing the EU1 form. Is that true? Can you have the right for the partime job? or it is some kind of half illegal business? If my husband come with a student visa, and we start to apply for all this thinks after having him some part time job, he can still keep his status as student?