ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

eu national wants to get irish citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

zaza7625
Member of Standing
Georgia

eu national wants to get irish citizenship

Post by zaza7625 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:01 am

Hi.
If anyone knows,please help me which way i can
go.
my wife used to live in ireland since 2005. Than she left the country and had not resided in ireland 3 years.so she has a gap 3 years not to be a resident of ireland. (She is eu citizen).if she gets the provement that she was here since 2005,taking into account that she had not reside 3 years in ireland, can she apply for irish citizenship?even if she is on social welfare?
thanks

jeupsy

Re: eu national wants to get irish citizenship

Post by jeupsy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:36 pm

Is she living in Ireland now? Could you give a bit more details of the time she spent in Ireland? (when did she come and leave, and when was she working/studying/on social welfare?)

From what I understand, if she has been back to Ireland for more than a year (and has not always been on social welfare since she got back to Ireland), she will be eligible to apply. If she has always been on SW since coming back with absolutely not period of employment or study, it might cause issues.

zaza7625
Member of Standing
Georgia

Post by zaza7625 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:23 pm

jeupsy wrote:Is she living in Ireland now? Could you give a bit more details of the time she spent in Ireland? (when did she come and leave, and when was she working/studying/on social welfare?)

From what I understand, if she has been back to Ireland for more than a year (and has not always been on social welfare since she got back to Ireland), she will be eligible to apply. If she has always been on SW since coming back with absolutely not period of employment or study, it might cause issues.
Thanks Jeupsy for your reply.
OK. My wife (EU citizen) used to live in Ireland since 2004 september continuously till 2010 of april.
From 2004 september to 2007 she used to be working almost all the time. 2007 our child was born here in ireland and the child was granted by irish citizenship.
My wife got social welfare in 2007 of december or January as I remember well, as one parent family and she used to be getting that payment till 2010, ( exect month I dont remember). In 2010 she left the Ireland pregnant and on the way back to ireland she had not been allowed to get on board and was unable to return to Ireland.
Only 2013 september she returned to Ireland with children who are EU citizens as well and worked only 2 or 3 months and after that she got social payment.she gave a birth another child here in ireland couple of month ago.

that is the story

Thanks

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:40 pm

Ok si she meets the residency requirements.

The only thing I am not too sure about is:

"Self supporting
In general, apart from refugees and stateless persons, applicants for naturalisation must prove they can support themselves and their families while living in Ireland. If you can show that you have not received State support in the 3 years before your application, this will generally meet the Minister for Justice and Equality's requirement that you have been supporting yourself and your dependants and that you will continue to do so."

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... ation.html

I am not sure whether this applies for EU citizens or not. Maybe someone here can comment ...

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:40 pm

Ok si she meets the residency requirements.

The only thing I am not too sure about is:

"Self supporting
In general, apart from refugees and stateless persons, applicants for naturalisation must prove they can support themselves and their families while living in Ireland. If you can show that you have not received State support in the 3 years before your application, this will generally meet the Minister for Justice and Equality's requirement that you have been supporting yourself and your dependants and that you will continue to do so."

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... ation.html

I am not sure whether this applies for EU citizens or not. Maybe someone here can comment ...

happymamma2

Post by happymamma2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:08 pm

If I did not missunderstood the situation,your wife received social welfare in the last 3 years in Ireland and also she does not have a job now as she is minding your newborn.When I stopped working to mind my second son and finished the 6 payed months of maternity leave I also wanted to apply for social welfare as it was difficult with 1 salary and 2 small kids under the age of 2....but had a chat with an immigration lawyer and he advised against applying for social welfare if I wanted to apply for citizenship as I could affect my application.
Maybe will help if you could get an advice from an immigration consultant/lawyer? Sorry for not being of much help...

happymamma2

Post by happymamma2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:09 pm

I am also a EU citizen married to a EU citizen (awaiting citizenship hopefully soon) with 2 boys both Irish