ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU1 residing with sufficient resources

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tomop
Newly Registered

EU1 residing with sufficient resources

Post by tomop » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:36 pm

Hi all,

just want to share experience (successfull) of getting 5-years residence card in Ireland for my nonEEA wife, while residing with sufficient resources.

Me:
Slovakian citizen, working on project in Ireland = long term business trip, while employed in Slovakia.
My projects usually last more than one year. Under EU Treaty rights, I have to go via category "residing with sufficient resources".

My wife:
Guinean citizen, having residence permit in Slovakia, residence card in UK(previous project).

You will need
1. Accommodation - rented a flat in Dublin, signed a contract.
Note: Contract should be on EEA spouse name only(there would be problems with PPS number explained later.)

2. Confirmation from the landlord that he/she is aware about presence of the couple in the flat.

3. Utility bill - call the electricity company and register for the supply
Note: Make sure that your nonEEA spouse name will also be on the bill. They'd probably like to hear your spouse to confirm that, so make sure she is on phone/Skype when making the call. Make sure they spell it correctly as they are sending bills only every 2 months.
Note2: Usually it's possible to make SEPA payment from any EU country bank, no need to have irish account at this stage.

4a. Letter from department of social protection that EEA spouse is not receiving any benefits in Ireland.
Fill form on this website: https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/GENENQ.aspx, Subject is General information enquiry. Ask them to issue a letter confirming that you are not receiving any benefits, give your address. They should respond and ask your PPS number to issue the letter.

5. PPS number - PPS number is crucial for steps 4 and 6. Because I'm not employed/self employed this was source of huge difficulties. Go to PPS registration office, if in Dublin it's Intreo Centre 197/199 Parnell Street, Dublin 1. Have your passport, electricity bill and marriage certificate ready. Ask them to issue you the PPS number because you need it for immigration to prove you're not receiving any benefits. They have argued for a while, but at the end they have agreed and I've received PPS number in couple of days. Remember that getting PPS number is crucial. Another route, which can be tried is that you need it for your landlord to inform PRTB, but I haven't tried that.

4b. Letter from department of social protection that EEA spouse is not receiving any benefits in Ireland.
Fill form on this website: https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/GENENQ.aspx, subject is general information enquiry. Ask them to issue a letter confirming that you are not receiving any benefits, give your address, phone number and PPS number. Letter will come in 1-2 weeks.

6. Confirmation of tenancy from PRTB. Give the PPS number to the landlord, he will send some form to PRTB and they should send a letter confirming tenancy to both of you. Leave 2-3 weeks for this. I had a problem with PRTB and had to call twice to receive this letter.

7. Comprehensive private health insurance. Choose private health insurance provider in Ireland, choose a product - this must contain very high cover. Contact health insurance to confirm which product provide comprehensive cover. It must cover both of you. In our case, we have chosen Laya and product costs cca 160EUR/month.
We have also traveling insurance policy from Slovakia and EHIC cards. Everything was attached in the application.

8. EEA spouse bank statements. I'm earning about 48K per year- seems to be enough for irish immigration. Provided bank statements for last 12 months translated to English.

9. Wedding certificate. Must be legalized and translated to English by a sworn translator. Legalization can have 2 forms: 1. Apostille in countries which signed Apostille(Hague) convention. 2. Superlegalization for others.

10. Write a cover letter explaining the circumstances of the application. It's good to resume what kind of documents are attached in the package. Document should be written in name of the applicant, who is your nonEEA spouse.

Now you can bring the spouse to Ireland, in our case it was easy as she had residence card from UK, so no need of visa. If you don't have that, you need to apply for EEA spouse visa, see here http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Fa ... 20citizens.

Now make photocopies of all documents, except wedding certificate and send it with both passports and 2 passport pictures of both to:
EU Treaty Rights Unit
Residence Division
Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
This must be sent via registered post (service with tracking number and insurance).

After four weeks they have responded and returned original documents. They have issued 2 letters:
1. First letter is resuming received documents and listing what information is missing and you have 15 days to respond. Sometimes they ask for unneeded or impossible stuff, it's good to confirm with eutreatyrights@justice.ie .

2. Second letter confirms that the application is processed and allows the nonEEA spuse to stay and work in Ireland until it's decided.

You both need to go to GNIB to issue a temporary 6 month GNIB card. Take the letter from INIS, wedding certificate, utility bill and passports. If in Dublin, go to
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
Make sure to arrive early in the morning, we have arrived at 4.45am and there were 10-15 people on queue already. This can be much worse in autumn, when students come to register - there are currently some arrangements to improve this, but only future will show.
They are opening at 7.30 to give numbers, but start to work at 8.00. Immigration officer will take your documents and you need to wait for fingerprint scan and photo. Around 10.30 everything was ready and 6 months GNIB card was issued.

After 5.5 months another letter arrived with decision to issue 5 year residence card(GNIB card) Hooray. Take the same documents as in previous step, suffer at Burgh Quay in rain and wind from the early morning and get the GNIB card.

Hope it will help somebody

Tom

Obie
Ireland

Re: EU1 residing with sufficient resources

Post by Obie » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:05 pm

That is very detailed and helpful top.

I believe a lot of people will find it most helpful, although when it comes to self sufficiency, no 2 case is identical.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

wannago

Post by wannago » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:03 am

With regards to point 5 about the PPS number.I obtained mine with a PRTB form from my Landlord that was filled in with all the details except for the PPS number.Along with my passport and birth certificate this was enough to get my PPS number.

kunfayakun
Member of Standing

Post by kunfayakun » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:25 am

Thanks for sharing this post and I hope it would really help people in this forum :D
Stay blessed
Kunfayakun

alphagear
Member of Standing

Post by alphagear » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:06 pm

Hi tomop,

Which comprehensive health cover plan do you have from laya?

broli
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ireland

Post by broli » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:20 pm

I am less impressive than this guy and living as resident with suffiscient resources for two two

you just have to prove than your couple is not eligible for social welfare about 500€ a week

I was earning 2000 € a month and she 400€ online and that was enough , we just told them we have more than 500€ per week and we were scared but they accepted sent some doc

we had VHI basic but comprehensive 50€ per month / Per individual