ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU4FAM-What if EU citizen can't find a job in time?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Feriale
Newly Registered

EU4FAM-What if EU citizen can't find a job in time?

Post by Feriale » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:19 am

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and have read some excellent posts, so hoping you can help me with my query:

I'm a UK citizen travelling to Ireland in October with my non-EEA visa-required husband. I plan to find work to exercise my treaty rights and then apply for an EU4FAM residence card for my husband. But I'm worried in case I don't manage to find a job in time (90 days)...

If that happens, as I understand it, we can still apply for EU residence cards if I'm covered by one of the following categories:

1) Self-employed

2) Sufficient funds + health insurance

3) Studying + health insurance

So my question is, which of these options is best/most doable? (Obviously finding work is best, but I want to consider the worst case scenario... could they kick us out?)

All comments and opinions greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance

jeupsy

Re: EU4FAM-What if EU citizen can't find a job in time?

Post by jeupsy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:33 am

If you are not either working or under one of the condition you listed, they will most deny the application for Stamp 4 EUFam.

I would not recommend the self-sufficient route unless you are very wealthy as there is no clear definition of what sufficient resources are and therefore no black and white criteria for the decision (as opposed to being employed for example: either you are or you aren't - it is not open to interpretation).

As you mentioned, being employed is your best bet (note that it doesn't have to be a good job - you just need to be employed in any job).

If you are interested in studying and know of a course you can be accepted to, this probably is the easier option.
Otherwise you can also go the self employed route. A bit more paperwork but definitely doable and while you will need to prove you are making some money from your activity, it should work even if the money is very little.

Feriale
Newly Registered

Re: EU4FAM-What if EU citizen can't find a job in time?

Post by Feriale » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:49 pm

Thank you Jeupsy for your swift and helpful response.

Yes I agree that finding a job - any job - is the best option without a doubt. My only concern is running out of time...

I take your point about 'Sufficient Resources' and the margin for interpretation, however, I read in Directive 2004/38/EC that

"Member States may not lay down a fixed amount which they regard as 'sufficient resources' but they must take into account the personal situation of the person concerned. In all cases this amount shall not be higher than the threshold below which nationals of the Host Member State become eligible for social assistance."

I know the rules will differ in theory and in practice, so would be keen to know if anyone has tried this route before and if so, what the minimum bank balance might be for the resources to be considered 'sufficient'?

Regarding study - does Ireland define what type of a course it has to be? e.g. Can it be part-time, or a short course?

Regarding self-employment - I read elsewhere in this forum that you have to submit paperwork covering the last 6 months (which obviously won't be doable in the timeframe we have), also, I'd be starting from scratch, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to make money straight away...

Perhaps I'm panicking unnecessarily... it should be possible to find SOME sort of job...

What's the easiest type of work to find in Cork?

Thanks again