ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Father’s Parents were Irish Citizens born in Scotland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MrStu
Newly Registered

Father’s Parents were Irish Citizens born in Scotland

Post by MrStu » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:24 pm

I would like to claim Irish Citizenship but it’s complicated. My Great Grandparents on my Father’s side were all born in Ireland. They moved to Scotland before giving birth to my Grandparents Dolly and Jack. After a few years of living in Scotland both sets moved back to Ireland and lived there for some time before immigrating to the United States. My Father was born in New York before 1956 probably around 1928 - 29. I’m pretty sure both of his Parents would have been Irish Citizens. Would this have made my Father an Irish Citizen even if he didn’t claim it?

mumairsharif

Re: Father’s Parents were Irish Citizens born in Scotland

Post by mumairsharif » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:44 pm

mumairsharif

Re: Father’s Parents were Irish Citizens born in Scotland

Post by mumairsharif » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:34 pm

The following table may help to explain the situation:
If you are: Then you are:
A Born in the island of Ireland on or before 31 December 2004 Entitled to Irish citizenship or you are an Irish citizen
B Born on the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 Entitled to Irish citizenship if your parents are Irish. Entitled to Irish citizenship, if your parents are foreign nationals legally resident in the island of Ireland for 3 out of 4 years immediately prior to your birth.
C Child of A, born outside the island of Ireland An Irish citizen
D Child of C and a grandchild of A, born outside the island of Ireland Entitled to Irish citizenship, but you must first register in the Foreign Births Register
E a child of D and a great-grandchild of A, born outside the island of Ireland Entitled to Irish citizenship, by having your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register, but only if your parent D had registered by the time of your birth.
You will fall into category E.
Your father was not an Irish citizen, but was entitled to Irish citizenship. If he hadn't claimed it before your birth, then you have missed the boat.

Contact your local embassy, & they might be able to give you a definite answer.