ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FBR Question

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

abundantbee
Newly Registered

FBR Question

Post by abundantbee » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:41 pm

I'm a British citizen and my husband is an American citizen. We live in the UK and my husband is looking to apply for Irish citizenship by descent, as his grandfather was born in Ireland. We have looked at the FBR website and understand that to apply for FBR he has to be able to prove descent. My husband's mother is his grandfather's daughter and we have an issue when it comes to her marriage certificates. On her first marriage certificate it states her parents' names but on her second marriage certificate it does not. Apparently in Florida, where my husband's family is from, they do not put parents' names on subsequent marriage certificates. My mother-in-law has got all of the certificates stamped in Tallahassee to certify them as genuine. My question is, is the fact that the second marriage certificate does not have her parents' names on going to be an issue? If it is an issue I have to wonder how anyone from Florida gets Irish citizenship!

tuathanach

Re: FBR Question

Post by tuathanach » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:14 am

abundantbee wrote:I'm a British citizen and my husband is an American citizen. We live in the UK and my husband is looking to apply for Irish citizenship by descent, as his grandfather was born in Ireland. We have looked at the FBR website and understand that to apply for FBR he has to be able to prove descent. My husband's mother is his grandfather's daughter and we have an issue when it comes to her marriage certificates. On her first marriage certificate it states her parents' names but on her second marriage certificate it does not. Apparently in Florida, where my husband's family is from, they do not put parents' names on subsequent marriage certificates. My mother-in-law has got all of the certificates stamped in Tallahassee to certify them as genuine. My question is, is the fact that the second marriage certificate does not have her parents' names on going to be an issue? If it is an issue I have to wonder how anyone from Florida gets Irish citizenship!
Hi there, I'm sure that this could be explained well in a letter etc; it might be wise to just double check with them directly however just to get some concrete advise.

One thing that did appear to me would be the Birth Certificate route. Couldn't you acquire your husband's birth certificate which will confirm your husbands parents and then obtain a birth certificate for each of the grandparents? You can order Irish birth certificates fairly easily if you have some basic information (name, year of birth and area where born).

Is this of any help? :)