ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Financial requirements for Join Spouse Visa

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Gedk66

Financial requirements for Join Spouse Visa

Post by Gedk66 » Wed May 20, 2015 2:47 pm

Irish citizen with Colombian spouse and our two children want to relocate to Ireland.

I (Irish citizen) will not have a job upon arrival but will have substantial savings from the sale of a property overseas.

Is there an acceptable limit that would provide us with entry, even though I wouldn't have job immediately, but could prove we have money to support ourselves?

Thanks..

Gedk66

Re: Financial requirements for Join Spouse Visa

Post by Gedk66 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:05 am

Anyone...?

gb1985

Post by gb1985 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:26 pm

contact local Irish embassy to get correct information. Were you born in Ireland? If yes, your children should be eligible for Irish passport. You will have to register them with FBR. If not, then also they may be eligible. See http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP11000024

From what I understand, as Irish citizen you don't need to show anything. You have right to live in Ireland with your family.

Hope this helps.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:17 pm

Gedk66 wrote:Irish citizen with Colombian spouse and our two children want to relocate to Ireland.

I (Irish citizen) will not have a job upon arrival but will have substantial savings from the sale of a property overseas.

Is there an acceptable limit that would provide us with entry, even though I wouldn't have job immediately, but could prove we have money to support ourselves?

Thanks..

Policy Document on Non-EEA Family Reunification: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Family%2 ... cument.pdf

Details re: finances are in here. If the link doesn't work search this on Google: "Policy Document on Non-EEA Family Reunification, INIS".

As the poster above noted, it should be possible to have your children registered on the FBR and, subsequently, get them Irish passports.

Gedk66

Post by Gedk66 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:46 am

Both myself and our two children are Irish citizens and Passport holders. As I understand, there is a minimum financial requirement for me to fulfil to be able to bring my wife to Ireland. We have a decent amount of savings which will fund buying a house and starting a small business, once we are all in the state.

I just am a little uncertain of what would be an acceptable amount of cash savings to enable the move to Ireland.

Thanks for all your previous replies and please keep them coming.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:25 pm

Gedk66 wrote:Both myself and our two children are Irish citizens and Passport holders. As I understand, there is a minimum financial requirement for me to fulfil to be able to bring my wife to Ireland. We have a decent amount of savings which will fund buying a house and starting a small business, once we are all in the state.

I just am a little uncertain of what would be an acceptable amount of cash savings to enable the move to Ireland.

Thanks for all your previous replies and please keep them coming.
The financial requirements are noted in the document that I provided above in Section 17 (17. Financial resources for family reunification (nuclear family and de facto partners).

Have you considered moving to the UK with your family? That way you wouldn't need to worry about financial requirements as your wife would be eligible for an EEA family permit (as long as you don't have British citizenship). This is what I have done. I now live in Northern Ireland (UK) with my Chinese civil partner and he now has a 5 year UK residence card. Just a thought...

Gedk66

Post by Gedk66 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:30 am

Thanks Chaoclive..

We would have tried the UK route but as I'm currently resident overseas in the Middle east and have been for the last 5 years, it's much more complicated. I would need to have a job and a financial threshold that well exceeds our possibilities. The waiting period for citizenship is much much longer in the UK and as we now have been away for so long, we're more interested to start somewhere new. Ireland offers much better chances for our long term future as a Family.

My wife is a Colombian and as such Visa required. We all want to travel to Ireland together and not spend months apart waiting for reunification. As we have substantial savings, I was hoping this might be an acceptable way to prove independency in regards of finances.

As for us finding work, I will start a small business and my wife will run and fitness and dance centre (eventually). In fact I think my wife will establish a good working situation almost immediately, due to the interest she's been shown through various contacts in Ireland.

Please keep advice coming as it's much needed and greatly appreciated...

Thanks.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:15 am

Gedk66 wrote:Thanks Chaoclive..

We would have tried the UK route but as I'm currently resident overseas in the Middle east and have been for the last 5 years, it's much more complicated. I would need to have a job and a financial threshold that well exceeds our possibilities. The waiting period for citizenship is much much longer in the UK and as we now have been away for so long, we're more interested to start somewhere new. Ireland offers much better chances for our long term future as a Family.

My wife is a Colombian and as such Visa required. We all want to travel to Ireland together and not spend months apart waiting for reunification. As we have substantial savings, I was hoping this might be an acceptable way to prove independency in regards of finances.

As for us finding work, I will start a small business and my wife will run and fitness and dance centre (eventually). In fact I think my wife will establish a good working situation almost immediately, due to the interest she's been shown through various contacts in Ireland.

Please keep advice coming as it's much needed and greatly appreciated...

Thanks.
You are a little mistaken about the UK and not everywhere in the UK has longer requirements for citizenship (depends which citizenship you would like her to have; see below).

If you were to live in Northern Ireland, as an Irish citizen (who doesn't have British citizenship), your wife would automatically qualify under the EEA family permit route. There are no financial requirements, nor do you need to have had any form of job whilst you've been outside the UK. If you live with your wife in Northern Ireland, she will be able to apply to become an Irish citizen after 3 years of residence (same as in ROI), just like I am currently doing with my civil partner. More details here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... riage.html.

You would not need to wait apart for ANY period of time. My Chinese civil partner entered Northern Ireland on an EEA family permit (applied for in China) with me last August and I started working the day after he arrived. No hassle whatsoever! He now has a UK residence card and we will apply for him to get Irish citizenship after 3 years of being here. You would be able to start your business in Northern Ireland and I'm sure your wife wouldn't have any problems finding work (my Chinese partner didn't have a problem).

You could have a read through the Directive: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 123:EN:PDF just to understand the process. There is a section on Immigration Boards called the EEA route, which has lots of info on this.

Just fyi :)

One potential issue with the EEA route via the UK, may be the worry that the UK will leave the EU in the near future...although this is not definite nor is it clear how this would affect people under the EEA route here.

Gedk66

Post by Gedk66 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:21 am

Am I not right in thinking that to exercise the EEA treaty, we would have to be already residing in another EU state?

We have been living in the Middle east for the last 5 years or so and I'm under the impression from previous threads etc that we wouldn't qualify because of that.

Thanks again for all your advice, very much appreciated.

adelmurray

Post by adelmurray » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:38 pm

you are right to assume such an assumption , so did alot of people as the Irish officials a couple of years ago wrongly interpreted the EU directive . that mistake was challenged in the European court and it was rule that NO you do not need to be living in another EU Country to qualify for EEA Family residence Permit . so the previous poster is right when advising you about the Northern Ireland route . of course you would have to have a job in order to qualify , i think you have up to 3 months stay without the need to apply for any residency permit . im sure you can sort something out within that deadline , plus find out more about you Savings it could be taken into considerations if for some reason you do not succeed in securing employment within the 3 months time frame .

PS : this does not apply if you decide to approach the Irish immigration officials as you are an Irish Citizen , hence the EU directive does not apply to you when applying to your own Country , however this can be done but Local immigrations Laws would apply then .

Good Luck with everything

Gedk66

Post by Gedk66 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi Adel,
Thank you for the information. Can you tell me the source, so I can read up further please?

I have dual British and Irish citizenship, so if I'm understanding you correctly, I could apply under my British passport?

We would have quite a considerable amount of savings due to a property sale in the UK, which would enable us to buy a house mortgage free and set up our small business.

I'm really quite excited to study your source and if it's true, this could be massive for us as a family. I'm desperate to make sure we are not separated for any length of time, due to red tape etc. and would really appreciate any further information on this subject you could offer.

Many thanks in advance.

adelmurray

Post by adelmurray » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:47 pm

replied by PM .
one thing i didn't mention in my message : yes you do not have to be living in another EU country to qualify for the EU route (provided you meet other conditions :in your Case dual citizenship is somehow complicating things ) , so you would need to find out which Country that accepts applications under the EU Directive for persons of dual citizenship (in your Case the UK & Ireland ) .

best of luck with your application and if there's anything else i can help you with please do ask .

Regards