ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting in to Ireland (Complex immigration history)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

de_vip
Newly Registered

Getting in to Ireland (Complex immigration history)

Post by de_vip » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:25 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm Ahmed, I've been in UK since 2007 as I got here on visit visa but I been getting my regular visa extension on the basis of my dads Private medical treatment. Me and my dad never taken any sort of social benefit or access the public funds to support our selves.

Last year I got married with British Women so on the basis of my marriage I applied for my spouse visa but unfortunately it got refused because my partner doesn't not earn £18,600 PER YEAR which is impossible for 19 years old person, We have an appeal pending but I have decided to with draw the appeal as we know we can't meet the requirement and they will just refuse our visa again so no point spending any money on this and waste our time.

I'm willing to go back to my Home country which is Pakistan and apply to get in to Ireland from there to exercise my EU treaty rights.
My partner wants to continue her studies if my partner gets enrolled in a university degree course in Ireland which is 3 to 4 years and we show that we have a tiny bit of savings will that help us to get the Irish short stay visa Bearing in mind that I have stayed in UK for almost 7 years and have never been to Pakistan since 2007 but UK has showed no mercy what so ever towards me and also I had my spouse visa refused from UK will that affect my Irish visa eligibility.

Me and my Partner wants to relocate in Ireland together she doesn't want to move there first and wait for me to join her later.

I would really appreciate your views about this complex situation.

Regards
Ahmed and Louise

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Re: Getting in to Ireland (Complex immigration history)

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:24 pm

It is really very simple. There is no need to go to Pakistan, unless you wish to do so. You may travel to Ireland at any time, so long as you travel with your wife, her UK passport, your passport and an original marriage certificate. If you are stopped, she says 'I am an Eu citizen travelling to Ireland with my husband, here is the marriage cert as proof we are married and here are both passports'. That is all she needs to say and you can both travel to Ireland. Then you get a visa for three months and at the end of the three months she must either be a student or have payslips to show that she is working. Payslips are easier, so the best thing is for her to get any type of job, even part time. So then at the end of three months she gives payslips and proof of renting a home, and you get a six month visa. At the end of the six months she gives payslips again and then you get a 5 year visa. Then you can both go back to UK if you wish or you can stay in Ireland. If you stay in Ireland you can apply for citizenship after 5 years.

She can go to university here and you can also, but you might prefer private university as state university charges non EU citizen high fees, private colleges are cheaper.

In addition, I think that if she gets a job it is possible for your father to join you both in Ireland, as the dependent relative of your wife. He can apply for Irish citizenship also after 5 years of residence.

Good luck.
BL

squa

Post by squa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:01 pm

You better not leave the UK as it will make things difficult for you in the future....especially if you return to Pakistan. I hope you have a professional qualification and have had a job offer in Ireland, otherwise you will find getting ANY sort of job difficult.
I myself used to live in the UK from 2000 to 2008 and because of difficulty in regularising my immigration status. ...I decided to move to Ireland. I am soon to be an Irish citizen, but as soon as I get it I am going back to the UK. Ireland immigration system and rules are friendlier and relaxed compared to UKBA, but like employment opportunities are more plentiful in the UK.
My advice to you is so long as your marriage is genuine and will bear children, do not leave UK. They will not deport you while you're married to a British citizen, but since your marriage is fairly new, they have strong suspicions that it is a ma marriage of convenience and you have to prove otherwise.

de_vip
Newly Registered

Post by de_vip » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Brigid from Ireland wrote:It is really very simple. There is no need to go to Pakistan, unless you wish to do so. You may travel to Ireland at any time, so long as you travel with your wife, her UK passport, your passport and an original marriage certificate. If you are stopped, she says 'I am an Eu citizen travelling to Ireland with my husband, here is the marriage cert as proof we are married and here are both passports'. That is all she needs to say and you can both travel to Ireland. Then you get a visa for three months and at the end of the three months she must either be a student or have payslips to show that she is working. Payslips are easier, so the best thing is for her to get any type of job, even part time. So then at the end of three months she gives payslips and proof of renting a home, and you get a six month visa. At the end of the six months she gives payslips again and then you get a 5 year visa. Then you can both go back to UK if you wish or you can stay in Ireland. If you stay in Ireland you can apply for citizenship after 5 years.

She can go to university here and you can also, but you might prefer private university as state university charges non EU citizen high fees, private colleges are cheaper.

In addition, I think that if she gets a job it is possible for your father to join you both in Ireland, as the dependent relative of your wife. He can apply for Irish citizenship also after 5 years of residence.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Now the problem is my passport is with Home office because of my pending appeal if I with draw the appeal they will send the passport to the airport and see me on the board to Pakistan because I have no visa left on it now. So I'm stuck very badly my Appeal is held on End of the May which I'm fully aware that I will get refused again its not about staying till May but its costing me a-lot and I don't want to spend on something which I can see is going to waste.

The only reason I mentioned to go Pakistan is the only option I can see because Home office is not giving the passport back unless I with draw the appeal and go Pakistan. Please can you share your views.

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:18 pm

Inform the Home Office that you wish to travel to Ireland with your wife as she intends to look for work in Ireland and you wish for your passport to be returned in order for you to go to Ireland with her. You will get your passport.
The current position is that the Home Office wants you to leave, and the only country they can send you to is the country that issued your passport, as Pakistan cannot refuse to allow you to go there.
But if you choose on a voluntary basis to go with your wife to an EU country the Home Office will be quite happy with that.
It is not that they want to send you to Pakistan, it is that they want you to leave the UK. If Ireland is willing/required to accept you, then the Home Office cannot prevent you from choosing Ireland in preference to Pakistan.
Easy.
BL

de_vip
Newly Registered

Post by de_vip » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:45 pm

Brigid from Ireland wrote:Inform the Home Office that you wish to travel to Ireland with your wife as she intends to look for work in Ireland and you wish for your passport to be returned in order for you to go to Ireland with her. You will get your passport.
The current position is that the Home Office wants you to leave, and the only country they can send you to is the country that issued your passport, as Pakistan cannot refuse to allow you to go there.
But if you choose on a voluntary basis to go with your wife to an EU country the Home Office will be quite happy with that.
It is not that they want to send you to Pakistan, it is that they want you to leave the UK. If Ireland is willing/required to accept you, then the Home Office cannot prevent you from choosing Ireland in preference to Pakistan.
Easy.

Thanks again for getting back to me.
If I ring the Home Office and ask them to return the passport back in order for me to accompany my wife to Ireland for her work but what if they turn around and say you have to obtain Visa for Ireland as you can't travel with out visa to Ireland then?

And also what can I show to prove that Ireland will be willing to accept me?

Latintraveller

Post by Latintraveller » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:58 pm

You better not leave the UK as it will make things difficult for you in the future....especially if you return to Pakistan. I hope you have a professional qualification and have had a job offer in Ireland, otherwise you will find getting ANY sort of job difficult.
I myself used to live in the UK from 2000 to 2008 and because of difficulty in regularising my immigration status. ...I decided to move to Ireland. I am soon to be an Irish citizen, but as soon as I get it I am going back to the UK. Ireland immigration system and rules are friendlier and relaxed compared to UKBA, but like employment opportunities are more plentiful in the UK.
My advice to you is so long as your marriage is genuine and will bear children, do not leave UK. They will not deport you while you're married to a British citizen, but since your marriage is fairly new, they have strong suspicions that it is a ma marriage of convenience and you have to prove otherwise.
With respect I do not agree! Once the EU citizen has worked for several months (10 to 12 hours a week would suffice) and both your "centres of life" have transferred to Ireland you can move to UK under the "Surrinder Singh" route. When you return to the UK there is no need for the EU citizen to be exercising Treaty Rights (employed, student or self-sufficient). You then have full rights of an EU citizen. To carry out the SS route the EU citizen must have worked (employed or self-employed) in another EU country.

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:07 pm

Inform them that you can travel to Ireland without a visa under EU law, so long as you travel with your wife and marriage cert as proof of marriage. The visa can be given at the place of entry to the Irish state, as you are the spouse of EU citizen. The quote below is from the immigration website and says you must report to immigration when you enter the state. If you cannot find an immigration officer at the place of entry, then you go to immigration in Dublin and they give the visa.
Proof that Ireland will accept you is 'Directive 2004/38/EC on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members .' The Home Office does not care where you go so long as you leave the UK.

'Non EEA nationals are required to seek leave to enter the State by reporting to an Immigration Officer at an Irish port of entry. The onus is on the individual to have all documentation relating to their reasons for entering Ireland for presentation to the Immigration Officer to gain entry. The Immigration Officer may grant leave to enter to a maximum period of three months. They may, depending on the documentation presented grant a lesser period that three month.'
Directive 2004/38/EC on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States (the "Directive") is given effect in Ireland by the European Communities (Free Movement of Persons) Regulations 2006 and 2008 (the "Regulations").
The Directive and the Regulations apply to citizens of the European Union, citizens of EEA member states and citizens of Switzerland who move to or reside in a Member State other than that of which they are a national, and to their family members who accompany or join them.'
BL

de_vip
Newly Registered

Post by de_vip » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:16 pm

Brigid from Ireland wrote:Inform them that you can travel to Ireland without a visa under EU law, so long as you travel with your wife and marriage cert as proof of marriage. The visa can be given at the place of entry to the Irish state, as you are the spouse of EU citizen. The quote below is from the immigration website and says you must report to immigration when you enter the state. If you cannot find an immigration officer at the place of entry, then you go to immigration in Dublin and they give the visa.
Proof that Ireland will accept you is 'Directive 2004/38/EC on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members .' The Home Office does not care where you go so long as you leave the UK.

'Non EEA nationals are required to seek leave to enter the State by reporting to an Immigration Officer at an Irish port of entry. The onus is on the individual to have all documentation relating to their reasons for entering Ireland for presentation to the Immigration Officer to gain entry. The Immigration Officer may grant leave to enter to a maximum period of three months. They may, depending on the documentation presented grant a lesser period that three month.'
Directive 2004/38/EC on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States (the "Directive") is given effect in Ireland by the European Communities (Free Movement of Persons) Regulations 2006 and 2008 (the "Regulations").
The Directive and the Regulations apply to citizens of the European Union, citizens of EEA member states and citizens of Switzerland who move to or reside in a Member State other than that of which they are a national, and to their family members who accompany or join them.'

Your an amazing person thank you so much.
I'm going to look in to this and will ask Home office to return my Passport back as well and I will let you know here again.
One thing have you ever heard / seen or come across this situation before?

de_vip
Newly Registered

Post by de_vip » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:25 pm

Latintraveller wrote:
With respect I do not agree! Once the EU citizen has worked for several months (10 to 12 hours a week would suffice) and both your "centres of life" have transferred to Ireland you can move to UK under the "Surrinder Singh" route. When you return to the UK there is no need for the EU citizen to be exercising Treaty Rights (employed, student or self-sufficient). You then have full rights of an EU citizen. To carry out the SS route the EU citizen must have worked (employed or self-employed) in another EU country.

Really Respect that you guys are helping me out.
I believe you have sent me a message but as Im a new to this forum the admin won't let me see or send messages privately.
Can you please send the message to my email which is libhorrock@hotmail.com
Regards
Ahmed

Latintraveller

Post by Latintraveller » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:32 pm

Your email doesnt work!

de_vip
Newly Registered

Post by de_vip » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:33 pm

Latintraveller wrote:Your email doesnt work!

Im so sorry its libhorrocks@hotmail.com

sony44

Post by sony44 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi folks,
This is in regard to de_Vips post" Getting in to Ireland (Complex immigration history)",i would love to mention that i'm in exactly the same situation as you but the worst bit is that i'm just engaged to my BC partner not married.

I'm just wondering if you know of any legal way of getting married without having immigration leave ?Say may be church of England. Is marriage from a local born again church or mosque recognized via the SS route just wondering.

And also if i do ask the home office for my passport to pursue the SS route ,i highly doubt they will send it to my address thinking may be i will do a runner and disappear.What is the best way around this ? Thought of asking to have it sent to the Irish embassy here in the UK so i can apply for the C short stay type visa then my my wife(if we ever manage to get married) and i can travel to Ireland.

Any advise and thoughts are highly appreciated.

de_vip
Newly Registered

Post by de_vip » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:25 pm

Hi Guys,

I thought I may keep you up to date with all the things I'm doing in order to obtain my passport back from the UKBA.

I have been reading Blogs, Forums, facebook posts spoke to my local MP to find the best solution to my query but so far what I've come across is I need a written confirmation from Ireland that they will allow me on stop entry visa on border but they are not even getting back to me about this, all they are saying that I have to obtain a visa prior getting in to Ireland so that means they are not complying with Article 5 of Directive 2004/38/EC so I thought why not I send a quick email to Europa and seek their assistance that Ireland is not obeying the the directive rules so lets see what Europa reply back.

In order to obtain the passport back I need to send a few things to UKBA >

1: Letter confirming that Ireland will accept my entry on spot

2: Letter from my Local MP covering my back that I will be leaving the country and I need my passport in hand rather than on board.

3: Letter from my side to with draw the appeal and requesting them my passport back in order to obtain the entry to Ireland.

I think its going to be really difficult but lets see how it goes.

Please share your views.

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:50 pm

Do not hold your breath receiving response to the letter, even if you do, it wouldn't be helpful, any member state will be unwilling to provide an explicit response to that letter, you should pressure the UKBA, it is not their problem to get any sort of confirmation, their problem is you leaving the country, you have bought a ticket to signal your intentions to leave, they need to hand your passport back to you, if they are holding on to it, you should pursue claim against them via JR.

sony44

Post by sony44 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:49 am

Thanks de_vip for the update.

I strongly beg u keep the post updated so i can follow up on what you are doing as i'm in the same boat but in a more worse off situation.
thanks once again

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi De_vip,

Ireland cannot confirm that they will permit you to enter until they see your passport, the passport of your wife and the marriage certificate. Therefore you can get no answer from Ireland until your passport is returned. But Britain must return your passport to allow you to leave Britain, they can choose to give it to you only as you leave the country (literally as you board the ferry for Ireland) but they must give the passport to allow you to go to the country of your choice.

Hi sony_44,

The marriage must be valid in the country where it is performed. A marriage by phone in a country where such a marriage is legal or a marriage using a legal document known as 'marriage by proxy' might work. I do not think that it will be easy for you to get permission to marry in UK, but if you know of any place that will marry you by phone/internet connection then the marriage is being performed in a country where it is legal, even though you are in UK. The question of whether or not such a marriage would be recoginsed in the UK or other European countries is a very complex legal issue, and needs advice from a specialist solicitor.

Some countries have a long tradition of allowing a marriage when one person is present and the other is not available but has given his/her consent. These marriages are legal in many countries, as they are legal in the country where they took place. They were quite popular at one time with UK soldiers and with the aristocracy.

Edited to add that it is actually Ireland that would need to recognise the marriage, assuming you wish to travel with your British spouse to Ireland so that your spouse may exercise migrant worker rights. In this case you may wish to read the following judgements. In fact if you are travelling to Ireland on this basis I would print these out and give them to the immigration officer if and only if questions are raised about the validity of your marriage.

Hamza & Another v. MJELR [2010] IEHC 427 confirmed that a foreign proxy marriage could be recognised at Irish law, especially where neither spouse was domiciled in Ireland at the point of marriage.
Hamza & Another v. MJELR [2010] IEHC 427 confirms that Irish law can recognise a marriage which is simply contracted under foreign law which permits polygamy provided (i) neither spouse was domiciled in Ireland at the time of marriage and (ii) no second spouse has been taken.
Hassan & Another v. MJELR [2010] IEHC 426 establishes that some foreign religious marriages can be recognised at Irish law even if they do not comply with the civil law of the country where they are contracted.
Aslam v MJE [2011] IEHC 512, Hogan J. picked up the thread of Hamza and considered whether a proxy marriage concluded abroad (in this case in Pakistan) could be recognised at Irish law even if one spouse was domiciled in Ireland at the time of the ceremony. This is not a case about the civil status of marriage. It is a case about marriage and marriage-like relationships and their effects in asylum and immigration law. This judgment involves perhaps his most generous statement on the bounds of marriage so far, and is important for its broad statement of the attitude which the Irish state should adopt to foreign marriages which have a customary or cultural dimension. It fuses the line of judgments set out above with his frequent affirmations of the importance of the status of marriage as an anchor to the state where an individual might otherwise be deported, jeopardising or severing family relationships:

The essential point here is that the Irish Constitution protects the fundamentals of marriage and it insists that the State respects the essence of that relationship. Hogan J. noted that “[j]udged by the standards of Irish law, [proxy marriage] seems quite unorthodox and susceptible of abuse. Marriage by proxy is nevertheless a deep seated feature of the Islamic tradition and our conflict of law rules should be open-minded, tolerant, flexible and accommodating of different legal cultures and traditions.” Hogan J. locates this obligation of tolerance, flexibility and accommodation in Article 29 of the Constitution, which expresses the state’s commitment to “friendly cooperation amongst nations founded on international justice and morality”. He cites O’Donnell J. in Nottingham CC v. B [2011] IESC 48 to the effect that the “Irish Constitution does not demand the imposition of Irish constitutional standards upon other countries or require that those countries adopt our standards as a price for interaction with us”.
Taking his cue from this judgment, and from Hamza above, Hogan J. insists that the Irish conflicts of law rules must be applied flexibly and generously; if not in general, then in those cases where the stability of a migrant’s position within the state depends on their marital status. Aslam is an Article 7 Dublin Regulation case. If the heavily pregnant Ms A and Mr U were not married for the purposes of Article 7, she could be transferred to the UK and her asylum application processed there. So, Hogan J. sets aside the niceties of conflicts of law:
There are undoubtedly issues here regarding compliance with the lex loci celebrationis and, indeed, the domicle of Mr. U and, perhaps, even Ms. A. Viewed, moreover, from the perspective of traditional conflicts rules, there is insufficient evidence of whether the requirements of local law were satisfied and whether, indeed, the marriage certificate tendered should be regarded as valid. Yet, I can nonethless take judicial notice of the essentials of the Islamic marriage ceremony…[The] essentials of the marriage ceremony were complied with, both for the purposes of Islamic law, and, by extension, the law of Pakistan.

So it is possible that from an Irish viewpoint a marriage performed in Pakistan, in compliance with Islamic and Pakistani law, is accepted for migration to Ireland, even if one or both spouses was not in Pakistan when the marriage took place. If you do this please let us know if you succeed.
BL

sony44

Post by sony44 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Hello Brigid,

Thanks a lot for the advice,ever so grateful. I've been on the phone to the consulate of my country and unfortunately marriage by proxy or double proxy is not allowed , so I've hit a snag once again.But thanks again for your advice and if there's anything else you think i can do please advise accordingly.

de_vip
Newly Registered

Post by de_vip » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:13 pm

Hi Brigid,

That means that I have to remarry my partner if we go to Pakistan as we are married in UK? In order for me to apply from PAKISTAN for Irish visa.

I spoke to my local MP, Europa, Legal solicitors here and they all mentioned that Home office would like to see your Visa on to your passport before they give it out to you in your hand so if you don't have the visa then YOU CAN NOT TRAVEL ANY OTHER COUNTRY WITH OR WITH OUT YOUR PARTNER APART FROM YOUR HOME COUNTRY WHICH ISSUE YOU THE PASSPORT and they won't care about Directive Rule as they will deal with there own laws in there country.

Can you please advise me what are the legal required documents for me to apply accompany my wife from Pakistan?

Regards
Ahmed

sony44

Post by sony44 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:04 am

Hello de-vip,

I was thinking if you asked your wife to submit all documents for the type c visa at the Irish embassy for your visa to Ireland and then call the Home Office ask them to send your passport to the Embassy or request the Embassy to call the HO on your behalf to ask for your passport to process visa. I thought it might be worth trying.

de_vip
Newly Registered

Post by de_vip » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:50 pm

sony44 wrote:Hello de-vip,

I was thinking if you asked your wife to submit all documents for the type c visa at the Irish embassy for your visa to Ireland and then call the Home Office ask them to send your passport to the Embassy or request the Embassy to call the HO on your behalf to ask for your passport to process visa. I thought it might be worth trying.

Hi Sony44,
They require the passport in order to stamp visa and also that's the first requirement and when I spoke to Irish embassy in London they said we can't ask for passport from HO its your responsibility to provide all the required documents for a successful application so no luck there.

can anyone tell me the required documents for Irish short stay visa under directive 2004/38/EC i had read through all the website but want to know from someone who has actually gone through this process.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:57 am

See this: "Accompany / join EU citizen under Directive 2004/38/EC on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move to and reside freely within the territory of the Member States" http://inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Short% ... ber_States

Also: “Processing of Applications for Visas by Persons applying as Family Members of EU Citizens exercising or planning to exercise Free Movement Rights under Directive 2004/38/EC Guidelines for Visa Officers”:
http://inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Processing%2 ... ective.pdf

The documents required are listed in section 2.3 of the above document.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:57 am

See the INIS (inis.gov.ie) website and follow this path: Our Services > Visas > Visa Types > Short Stay Visit (Family or Tourist). I tried to post the link but it doesn't work when I submit my response...

Also: “Processing of Applications for Visas by Persons applying as Family Members of EU Citizens exercising or planning to exercise Free Movement Rights under Directive 2004/38/EC Guidelines for Visa Officers”:
http://inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Processing%2 ... ective.pdf

The documents required are listed in section 2.3 of the above document.

sony44

Post by sony44 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:29 pm

Any updates de_vip?I've failed to locate the post but there was a lady whose husband was let in Ireland some time back.His passport was sent to the boarder on being interviewed by UKBA and showing ferry tickets. Any info you need on SS route go on face book and join group Surinder Singh.

Latintraveller

Post by Latintraveller » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:56 pm

I believe the problem highlighted on FB was where a UK National residing in Ireland with his/her non-EU spouse tried to enter the UK by ferry on at least two occasions. Immigration was being staffed in the UK by Police as it was out of hours and they sent them back to Ireland despite showing their marriage certificate etc.