ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GNIB REGISTRATION OR EU4FAM What goes first

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

missusmurphy
Newly Registered

GNIB REGISTRATION OR EU4FAM What goes first

Post by missusmurphy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:38 pm

Hi my husband (irish born citizen) & I (non eea) have decided to move back to ireland after living and working in the UK for 4 years.. we have been here since friday 21st of March.

My question is what to do now with my residency status..
I hold a uk rc as family member of an eea national hence I managed to go to ROI without any entry visa.

Do I go to the garda immigration office first and file for a registration certificate? What would I get then? Is it equivalent to my uk rc wherein I can go in and out of the country without the need for entry visas... OR... do I apply for my eu4fam rc first as my husband has used his eu treaty rights in the uk (employed)?

I would appreciate all the help as I am very confused about this.. Thanks

CalvinKlien
Mood:
Ireland

Re: GNIB REGISTRATION OR EU4FAM What goes first

Post by CalvinKlien » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:02 am

Hi, please read the process of getting the stamp 4 based on spouse of Irish national from the DOJ website: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

Please note, u will not get Stamp 4EUFAM as in Ireland u r a spouse of Irish national and you will get a simple "Stamp 4". You will be granted the Stamp 4 initially for 1 year and the next year it could be for longer.

You will be granted the Stamp 4 on the same day in the GNIB office and you will need a re-entry visa for that, u will not be charged any fee for the stamp 4 nor for the re-entry visa.

Good Luck

Elizabeth06

Post by Elizabeth06 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:46 pm

As a non-EEA spouse of an Irish national who has exercised their treaty rights in another member state, the UK, and you have now moved to Ireland using the RC issued to you under the European Directive as the equivalent to an entry visa, you can now apply to remain in Ireland under the Directive by applying to the EU Treaty Rights section of INIS using the EU1 form. You need to supply evidence of your spouse having exercised their treaty rights, eg by working - payslips, joint tenancy agreement in UK etc. The EU1 application is the Irish equivalent application to the one which gave you your UK residence card as the family member of an EEA citizen, and you will be given a 5 year residency card. They send an acknowledgement, which at the moment takes approx 6-8 weeks, allowing you to go to the Garda to get a temporary stamp 4, and once they approve the application, which can take 6 months, then you will receive the EU4FAM (equivalent to the UK 5 year residence card under European Directive)

This is from the INIS website:

Q.13 I am an Irish National. Can my non EEA family members apply for EU Treaty Rights?

A The Directive applies to all Union citizens who move to or reside in a Member State other than that of which they are a national, and to their family members who accompany or join them. (Article 3 of Directive 2004/38/EC)
If, as an Irish national, you have exercised your EU Treaty Rights in another Member State with your family member and have now returned to Ireland, you may apply.

Evidence of having exercised your EU Treaty Rights in the other Member State in respect of you and your family member must be submitted with the application along with all other relevant documentation.

You can find the EU1 form here:
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/EU ... y%20Rights

As to whether you need to register your presence with the Garda now, contact your local Garda station and explain you are sending your EU1 application as your spouse exercised treaty rights in the UK, and do they require you to go and register first, or after you receive the acknowledgement from INIS. People have been given different advice in this regard depending on their location it seems. Some Garda will send you away until you have the acknowledgement from INIS, and some say that you must attend the station and register straight away. And some Garda/INIS staff seem to be unaware of the rights of spouses of Irish citizens to apply via the EU1 route and give incorrect advice believing that it only applies to other EEA citizens and their spouses, and not also to returning Irish citizens, so maybe print off the relevant information from the INIS site before you go, together with the EU1 form completed.

You can contact INIS direct at eutreatyrights@justice.ie for advice.

The UK RC as an EEA family member allows you to enter Ireland without applying for an entry visa, even if you are a visa required national normally, but if your intention is to stay more than 3 months you must send the EU1 form and register with the Garda for the GNIB card (or follow national immigration route - check with the Garda/INIS for more info on this).

As your spouse is Irish, you also have the option to apply under Irish immigration rules, but if you are a visa required national, and your spouse has exercised EU Treaty rights in the UK by working while you lived there together, the EU1 application is likely the most straight forward way to proceed.

I'm not 100% on which way to go forward if you follow the national immigration rules as opposed to the european law route, but there are minimum financial requirements as set out on INIS, amongst other things (these requirements don't apply if you go the EU1 route), as new rules were introduced on December 31st 2013 under national immigration law -

Evidence showing that Irish spouse/civil partner (sponsor) meets the published financial criteria set out at 17.2 of "Policy Document on Non-EEA Family Reunification" available on INIS website http://www.inis.gov.ie (e.g. P60s for last 3 years, financial statements, P21 Revenue Commissioner statements, pay slips, financial accounts, etc – this list is not exhaustive)

The requirements are here:
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Family%2 ... cument.pdf

I'm assuming you are a visa required national for Ireland since you've pointed out that you've used the UK RC as an entry to Ireland, and since you haven't applied for an entry visa, nor have a pending application with INIS to stay in Ireland and currently don't have a stamp in your passport (I'm assuming from the information you've given) allowing you to remain in Ireland, though I cannot say for certain, it seems unlikely that turning up at the Garda station, they would give you a stamp 4 without going through one of the above routes, but if someone in the same situation has had a stamp 4, I'd be very interested to know.

If you are not a visa required national, then you can just attend the GNIB with all your documents and ask for a stamp 4.
Last edited by Elizabeth06 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

missusmurphy
Newly Registered

Post by missusmurphy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:01 am

Elizabeth06 wrote:As a non-EEA spouse of an Irish national who has exercised their treaty rights in another member state, the UK, and you have now moved to Ireland using the RC issued to you under the European Directive as the equivalent to an entry visa, you can now apply to remain in Ireland under the Directive by applying to the EU Treaty Rights section of INIS using the EU1 form. You need to supply evidence of your spouse having exercised their treaty rights, eg by working - payslips, joint tenancy agreement in UK etc. The EU1 application is the Irish equivalent application to the one which gave you your UK residence card as the family member of an EEA citizen, and you will be given a 5 year residency card. They send an acknowledgement, which at the moment takes approx 6-8 weeks, allowing you to go to the Garda to get a temporary stamp 4, and once they approve the application, which can take 6 months, then you will receive the EU4FAM (equivalent to the UK 5 year residence card under European Directive)

This is from the INIS website:

Q.13 I am an Irish National. Can my non EEA family members apply for EU Treaty Rights?

A The Directive applies to all Union citizens who move to or reside in a Member State other than that of which they are a national, and to their family members who accompany or join them. (Article 3 of Directive 2004/38/EC)
If, as an Irish national, you have exercised your EU Treaty Rights in another Member State with your family member and have now returned to Ireland, you may apply.

Evidence of having exercised your EU Treaty Rights in the other Member State in respect of you and your family member must be submitted with the application along with all other relevant documentation.

You can find the EU1 form here:
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/EU ... y%20Rights

As to whether you need to register your presence with the Garda now, contact your local Garda station and explain you are sending your EU1 application as your spouse exercised treaty rights in the UK, and do they require you to go and register first, or after you receive the acknowledgement from INIS. People have been given different advice in this regard depending on their location it seems. Some Garda will send you away until you have the acknowledgement from INIS, and some say that you must attend the station and register straight away. And some Garda/INIS staff seem to be unaware of the rights of spouses of Irish citizens to apply via the EU1 route and give incorrect advice believing that it only applies to other EEA citizens and their spouses, and not also to returning Irish citizens, so maybe print off the relevant information from the INIS site before you go, together with the EU1 form completed.

You can contact INIS direct at eutreatyrights@justice.ie for advice.

The UK RC as an EEA family member allows you to enter Ireland without applying for an entry visa, even if you are a visa required national normally, but if your intention is to stay more than 3 months you must send the EU1 form and register with the Garda for the GNIB card (or follow national immigration route - check with the Garda/INIS for more info on this).

As your spouse is Irish, you also have the option to apply under Irish immigration rules, but if you are a visa required national, and your spouse has exercised EU Treaty rights in the UK by working while you lived there together, the EU1 application is likely the most straight forward way to proceed.

I'm not 100% on which way to go forward if you follow the national immigration rules as opposed to the european law route, but there are minimum financial requirements as set out on INIS, amongst other things (these requirements don't apply if you go the EU1 route), as new rules were introduced on December 31st 2013 under national immigration law -

Evidence showing that Irish spouse/civil partner (sponsor) meets the published financial criteria set out at 17.2 of "Policy Document on Non-EEA Family Reunification" available on INIS website http://www.inis.gov.ie (e.g. P60s for last 3 years, financial statements, P21 Revenue Commissioner statements, pay slips, financial accounts, etc – this list is not exhaustive)

The requirements are here:
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Family%2 ... cument.pdf

Since you haven't applied for an entry visa, nor have a pending application with INIS to stay in Ireland and currently don't have a stamp in your passport (I'm assuming from the information you've given) allowing you to remain in Ireland, though I cannot say for certain, it seems unlikely that turning up at the Garda station, they would give you a stamp 4 without going through one of the above routes, but if someone in the same situation has had a stamp 4, I'd be very interested to know.
Thanks for your reply I am going to the garda on thursday regarding this and would be going with the eu route. I rang them last Monday to see where I should go first and was informed that I should report to them first. I'll be posting the results then..

Elizabeth06

Post by Elizabeth06 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:08 pm

missusmurphy wrote: Thanks for your reply I am going to the garda on thursday regarding this and would be going with the eu route. I rang them last Monday to see where I should go first and was informed that I should report to them first. I'll be posting the results then..
Welcome, hope it all went well. Did they advise anything different other than to just send in the EU1?

missusmurphy
Newly Registered

Post by missusmurphy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:49 am

Elizabeth06 wrote:
missusmurphy wrote: Thanks for your reply I am going to the garda on thursday regarding this and would be going with the eu route. I rang them last Monday to see where I should go first and was informed that I should report to them first. I'll be posting the results then..
Welcome, hope it all went well. Did they advise anything different other than to just send in the EU1?

Hi I rang the garda to ask what to do first and was advised to register with them first.... this is what happened.....

1. Rang garda for info
2. was told to go to mallow on the 27th because their immigration officer is only available on that day and mondays....
3. rang to confirm on the 27th was told that i should go to a different station as they don't cover my area...
4. rang the other station and was told that the immigration officer is only available on wednesdays so i had to wait AGAIN for the next appointment...
5. April 4, went to my assigned garda station with my passport, marriage contract, and proof of resdence, as well as my husbands' passport... ( he was with me), I was asked about how i entered Ireland etc....
6. got a STAMP 4 on my GNIB card and passport... I asked whether I should get the 4eufam stamp and was told that since i am a spouse of an irish national i should just get stamp 4... we were too tired to argue and stressed with the move that we didn't bother anymore...

*** I am a visa national holding a uk eu residence card and my husband is an Irish born citizen ***

Thanks for all the help!!!