ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How do I get my FBR if I am not in touch with my dad?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Alonwi
Newly Registered

How do I get my FBR if I am not in touch with my dad?

Post by Alonwi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:30 am

My parents are divorced and I have no idea how to contact my father or his family. He was an Irish citizen at the time of my birth. I have his FBR reference number and the date it was issued. I need his FBR in order to apply for my own. However, the embassy in Pretoria, South Africa would not issue me a copy. How do I go about obtaining a copy of my father's FBR certificate? Please help! :(

banana07
Member of Standing

Re: How do I get my FBR if I am not in touch with my dad?

Post by banana07 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:42 pm

as you are already registered in FBR, you do not need to have a proof.. actually, they need to have a proof that you are not registered in FBR!

if you already have FBR but you do not hold (stolen, lost, damaged, dad took it etc)

go to local irish embassy and apply for a replacement certificate for your FBR (say: lost, damaged or stolen or whatever u like and you do not have it anymore but you remember the number) and then they will be obliged to issue a replacement (so long as you are actually registered in the FBR)

if you do not have at all any FBR for yourself

you need your father's consent and details and documents (such as citizenship proof etc) .. if you do not know where he is.. the embassy is obligied to give you their contact details through DFA for him based on you giving them his name and other details your mom remember about him... so you approach them as if your dad is missing and you would like to reunion with him.. then ask your dad to help in your FBR
I'm officially diagnosed with INIS "processing" phobia

doesnotcompute

Re: How do I get my FBR if I am not in touch with my dad?

Post by doesnotcompute » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:35 pm

banana07 wrote:you need your father's consent and details and documents (such as citizenship proof etc) .. if you do not know where he is.. the embassy is obligied to give you their contact details through DFA for him based on you giving them his name and other details your mom remember about him... so you approach them as if your dad is missing and you would like to reunion with him.. then ask your dad to help in your FBR
Quite the opposite, actually, the Embassy are obliged under Data Protection NOT to give out your father's contact details to you.

Sorry, OP but the Embassy are quite correct on this. They have no way of knowing whether you have gotten a random person's FBR certificate number and date of issue, and whether you are trying to claim that this random person is your estranged father.

Sorry but they have to stick to the rules, and they need to see your father's FBR certificate as it is the most important document of all - it is the document that proves from where you derive your claim to Irish citizenship.