ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I got my permanent residence in IE, now what?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ikoonman
Newly Registered

I got my permanent residence in IE, now what?

Post by ikoonman » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:12 pm

Hi

Today I got my long term residence here in Ireland - woohoo!!

Apart from being able to stay (pretty much indefinitely), and work anywhere, what other advantages does this hold for me?

For instance, would I still need to get a Schengen visa if I wanted to go over to mainland Europe? (my nationality requires me to have a schengen visa)

Any links to related material would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:09 pm

Congrats!! Can you tell us how long it took your application to be processed?

As Ireland is not part of the Schengen Agreement, having permanent residency here will not affect you having to apply for visas to travel to Schengen countries :(

I think it means that you don't need re-entry visas though to exit and re-enter the country. Most importantly, you also do not need a work permit/visa to be employed, so can change jobs and employers at will. It doesn't change your voting rights though as you are not a citizen.

Read here for Rights to Family Reunification in Ireland: http://www.immigrantcouncil.ie/factsheets/en/fam.pdf

It may affect your rights to education. Read more at http://www.cdvec.ie/immigration.pdf

ikoonman
Newly Registered

Post by ikoonman » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:53 pm

scrudu wrote:Congrats!! Can you tell us how long it took your application to be processed?
It took me just under 14 weeks. But i contacted them and asked if there was any way it could be expedited because of personal reasons.

marialear

Post by marialear » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:41 pm

ikoonman,

I echo the congratulations! Well done :)

Maria

JAJ
Australia

Re: I got my permanent residence in IE, now what?

Post by JAJ » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:14 pm

ikoonman wrote: Today I got my long term residence here in Ireland - woohoo!!

Apart from being able to stay (pretty much indefinitely), and work anywhere, what other advantages does this hold for me?

For instance, would I still need to get a Schengen visa if I wanted to go over to mainland Europe? (my nationality requires me to have a schengen visa)
You'd still need a visa. Have you thought about applying for naturalisation, if you haven't already done so?