ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration via ancestry

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Kasn33
Newly Registered

Immigration via ancestry

Post by Kasn33 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:08 pm

Hello!

I apologize in advance if this is not the correct place for this - there are so many different places to post it's easy to get lost!

I am anxiously looking for a way to immigrate to Ireland (from Canada). It has been a dream of mine for a very long time. I have family both from my mother and fathers side who are Irish (they are all deceased now - other than possibly distant cousins). So my question is:

My great grand father (who is not alive) was born in Belfast. If my father applies for citizenship (by providing ancestry papers) would I then be entitled or would the ancestry line end at my father?
If I can not go the ancestry way ... would my only option be to move there, find a job and live there for 5 years before applying?
I am sure this question has been asked 1000 times before and I have honestly tried to read through the posts, but there are SO many!!

Thank you SO much in advance! :D

Sarmiento
Newly Registered

Re: Immigration via ancestry

Post by Sarmiento » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:47 pm

Unfortunately you would not be entitled to Irish citizenship if your father applies for his Irish citizenship now.

If your father had applied for Irish citizenship *before* you were born (by registering on the Foreign Births Register) then he could have passed the entitlement to you. But sadly if he registers *after* you are born it won't give you any entitlements.

If you do have your heart set on Irish citizenship there is still the naturalisation route, although as you point out it does mean you need to live in Ireland for a few years before you can apply.

Best of luck!

Kasn33
Newly Registered

Post by Kasn33 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:02 pm

Thank you so much for the response. I kind of figured there would be a 'catch' to the ancestry route.
I have no issues at all moving there (as I am planning on doing it anyways) and going the naturalization route... .I was just hoping there would be a quicker way - helps to open more opportunities with citizenship.

Is the naturalization route a 5 yr wait time? Am I allowed to move there and work without having a work visa? For example - if I moved there, found a place to rent, and applied for a job, would I get a job without a work visa?

Sarmiento
Newly Registered

Post by Sarmiento » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:17 pm

You can come here from Canada for up to 90 days without any visa. But after that you will need permission to work and stay here.

Getting the permission to work here could actually be tricky. You have to get a job offer first. Then you or your prospective employer applies to the authorities for a work permit so you can take up the offer. There are some costs and bureaucracy involved when that happens, so employers may not be willing to hire you unless you have specific skills/qualifications that are in short supply here.

If you can get over that hurdle and you get a work permit then you can register with the Irish immigration authorties and you get permission to live here. That's when the clock starts ticking as regards your naturalisation application. All going well - and provided you stay in Ireland and keep your immigration status up to date - then you can apply for naturalisation five years later.

joker
Ireland

Post by joker » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:51 am

One question why?. Most Irish people are going in the opposite direction to Canada to try and find a job. Finding a job will not be easy, your dream could turn into nightmare competing with the current 400,000 unemployed and the rest of the EU. Better if your young to get a one year working holiday visa in the Irish embassy and see the reality before you commit an expensive mistake. Faraway hills look green.