ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Insurance Insurance Insurance

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tastylentils

Insurance Insurance Insurance

Post by tastylentils » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:35 pm

Does the non-eu wife of an EU citizen residing in Ireland require health insurance?

This is a question that has been bothering me for several weeks. I understand that it's prudent and advisable, but the question I'm asking is would it affect her entry into Ireland and later application of residence if she didn't have it? Isn't the sole basis on which she's allowed entry based on her being my spouse? We don't intend to be in Ireland much longer than 8 months anyway.

My gut instinct is maybe take out travel insurance that will cover the 3 month period of the c visa to satisfy immigration upon entry and leave it at that.

Could someone with experience please comment. Also if there's absolutely no getting away from it, what are the more affordable options? I've seen layer offer a cheap deal but they first time customers don't receive cover until after 6 months which makes it more than useless for my purposes. While i'm just considering insurance for my spouse, 80 euros outgoing a month puts a big dent in my wallet and not entire sure i could sustain it for long.

Ambulance Chaser
Newly Registered

Re: Insurance Insurance Insurance

Post by Ambulance Chaser » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:47 am

tastylentils wrote:Does the non-eu wife of an EU citizen residing in Ireland require health insurance?

This is a question that has been bothering me for several weeks. I understand that it's prudent and advisable, but the question I'm asking is would it affect her entry into Ireland and later application of residence if she didn't have it? Isn't the sole basis on which she's allowed entry based on her being my spouse? We don't intend to be in Ireland much longer than 8 months anyway.

My gut instinct is maybe take out travel insurance that will cover the 3 month period of the c visa to satisfy immigration upon entry and leave it at that.

Could someone with experience please comment. Also if there's absolutely no getting away from it, what are the more affordable options? I've seen layer offer a cheap deal but they first time customers don't receive cover until after 6 months which makes it more than useless for my purposes. While i'm just considering insurance for my spouse, 80 euros outgoing a month puts a big dent in my wallet and not entire sure i could sustain it for long.

The non-EU spouse does not require private health insurance to make an application for a EUFAM4 residence permit. A policy of insurance is not one of the required supporting documents when submitting the EU1 application form. There is also no requirement to have during the five-year permit period if the application has been successful.

tastylentils

Re: Insurance Insurance Insurance

Post by tastylentils » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks for your response. I was thinking that should be the case but couldn't be sure. That's one thing off my mind, cheers!