ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish citizen via marriage - naturalised or not?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mateias72
Newly Registered

Irish citizen via marriage - naturalised or not?

Post by mateias72 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi all,

Annoying situation at the Irish consulate in London, not sure if anyone here has ever encountered anything like this.

I'm an Irish passport holder, wife became Irish citizen backdated to date of marriage (1999). About 3.5 years ago we successfully obtained citizenship for my daughter via the Irish consulate in London. We used my wife's documentation, as it is all in one place and readily available (e.g. birth cert, Irish citizenship doc and so on)

We went to do the same thing for my son, who is 6 months old, however some numpty in the citizenship dept keeps kicking back the application, stating that my wife - as a naturalised Irish citizen needs to have some document (intention to retain Irish citizenship) notarised and on top of that needs to register with the Irish embassy every year (with same doc re-notarised every year).

I understand that since 2005, citizenship via marriage is granted through the naturalisation process - however we were married in 1999.

I explained this to the dozy person at the embassy and she agreed that she had made a mistake, to resubmit our application... only to have it rejected again for the same reason.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Irish citizen via marriage - naturalised or not?

Post by chaoclive » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:24 pm

Why don't you just put the child through under your documentation if you're not a naturalized Irish citizen? Is there a problem with doing that? Your son is already an Irish citizen if you are one.

There is a rule that naturalized citizens have to register with the Embassy if they have lived outside Ireland for 7 years. See the below:
"You were ordinarily resident outside Ireland (other than in public service) for a continuous period of 7 years and, without a reasonable excuse, did not register your name and a declaration of your intention to retain Irish citizenship with an Irish diplomatic mission or consular office or with the Minister for Justice and Equality on an annual basis - see 'How to apply' below.". http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... ation.html.