ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish citizen with US wife, moving to Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

caitclarke11
Newly Registered

Irish citizen with US wife, moving to Ireland

Post by caitclarke11 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:23 pm

I am an Irish citizen looking to move to Ireland from the US, with my US wife. I understand that as a US citizen, she is a non-visa required national, and can enter Ireland straightaway when we land.
My question relates to the new financial requirements of €40k over a three-year period. Is there flexibility on that? Does having excess of €100k in cash bank assets from sale of a house make up for any shortfall in earned income? Does her earned income count, or just mine?
What we need to avoid is selling up here and moving only to be told she can't stay or be granted residency due to some small financial miscalculation.
How difficult is it in reality to go through the process for residency for a non-EU spouse?
Many thanks for advice, and apologies if this has all been addressed elsewhere.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Irish citizen with US wife, moving to Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:03 pm

caitclarke11 wrote:I am an Irish citizen looking to move to Ireland from the US, with my US wife. I understand that as a US citizen, she is a non-visa required national, and can enter Ireland straightaway when we land.
My question relates to the new financial requirements of €40k over a three-year period. Is there flexibility on that? Does having excess of €100k in cash bank assets from sale of a house make up for any shortfall in earned income? Does her earned income count, or just mine?
What we need to avoid is selling up here and moving only to be told she can't stay or be granted residency due to some small financial miscalculation.
How difficult is it in reality to go through the process for residency for a non-EU spouse?
Many thanks for advice, and apologies if this has all been addressed elsewhere.
No idea. Not many people talk about the financial requirements to bring a non-EU spouse back to Ireland. Just something to let you know (might not suit): you and your partner would be able to move to Northern Ireland (UK) without fulfilling any financial requirements. This is due to the EU directive on free movement (Directive 2004/38/EC). You could start looking into this here: https://eumovement.wordpress.com/directive-200438ec/

I know it doesn't answer you question, but it might be something to consider.

caitclarke11
Newly Registered

Post by caitclarke11 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:26 pm

Northern Ireland is not an option for us, neither is the UK in general. We moved to the US from England in early 2013 but going back to England as an EU citizen bringing in a non-EU spouse is an arduous task, plus it seems that most non-EU citizens in the UK are having to keep looking over their shoulders due to changing immigration rules. NI has other complications. So the Republic is our choice.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:34 pm

caitclarke11 wrote:Northern Ireland is not an option for us, neither is the UK in general. We moved to the US from England in early 2013 but going back to England as an EU citizen bringing in a non-EU spouse is an arduous task, plus it seems that most non-EU citizens in the UK are having to keep looking over their shoulders due to changing immigration rules. NI has other complications. So the Republic is our choice.
It is not an arduous task in the slightest. I have done so a year ago almost to the date. We have been living hassle free in NI and got all of our residence cards etc with minor effort. You have your own reasons and that's fine but, I feel, you are wrong that it is, in any shape or form, difficult (unless you also hold British citizenship).

Good luck.

Leinsterimmig
BANNED

Post by Leinsterimmig » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:55 pm

The best people to ask for exact answers on this are the following section and email address:

Spouse of Irish National - INISsinu@justice.ie
pm me for email address as it's not allowed on the open forum

guardship
Newly Registered

Post by guardship » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:05 am

This doesn't apply to your wife as she can enter Ireland without a visa.