ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizenship through Adoption

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

similarpregunta
Newly Registered

Irish Citizenship through Adoption

Post by similarpregunta » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:15 am

I am curious if I'm eligible to apply for Irish citizenship.

My situation: my grandmother (born in Ireland) moved to the US where she married and adopted my father (born in US) when he was only a few weeks old. If she had given birth to him, I know I would be eligible; however, because he was adopted I am not so confident. Thank you guys for ahead of time for advice!

similarpregunta
Newly Registered

Re: Irish Citizenship through Adoption

Post by similarpregunta » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:23 am

From the research I've been trying on my own, I believe the question centers on whether my father was a citizen before my birth. It looks like the Adoption Act of 1991 granted him citizenship because it recognized foreign adoptions. The problem is, though, that I was born before 1991. Might anybody know whether the Adoption Act of 1991 would have granted my father citizenship retroactively before my birth?

aidycas
Newly Registered

Post by aidycas » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:27 am

Hello similarpregunta,

I am in exactly the same position as you and have spent countless hours researching and trying to get this right.

Please let me know if you have been able to learn or achieve anything since originally posting.

I would be happy to share my findings and experience with you if you provide me with an E-mail address.

Best,
Aidan

tuathanach

Post by tuathanach » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:47 am

similarpregunta wrote:I am curious if I'm eligible to apply for Irish citizenship.

My situation: my grandmother (born in Ireland) moved to the US where she married and adopted my father (born in US) when he was only a few weeks old. If she had given birth to him, I know I would be eligible; however, because he was adopted I am not so confident. Thank you guys for ahead of time for advice!
The best thing you could do would be to e-mail citizenshipinfo@justice.ie and they will be able to either address your question or redirect you to the official body that would.

Good luck!