ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizenship through great grandfather

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Jimmyferry
Newly Registered

Irish Citizenship through great grandfather

Post by Jimmyferry » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:42 am

My question I hope to be answered is. My great grandfather was born in Ireland and came to the United States. My Grandfather was born in the United states first generation, So I believe he would have been considered an Irish citizen, He died before my father was born. He died In Jan of 1940 and my father was born in April 1940. So my father was born posthumously to an Irish citizen does that make him automatically an Irish citizen and if so can I use that to claim dual citizenship through the fbr?

guardship
Newly Registered

Re: Irish Citizenship through great grandfather

Post by guardship » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:50 pm

No.

Wavey

Post by Wavey » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:48 pm

Jimmyferry wrote:My question I hope to be answered is. My great grandfather was born in Ireland and came to the United States. My Grandfather was born in the United states first generation, So I believe he would have been considered an Irish citizen, He died before my father was born. He died In Jan of 1940 and my father was born in April 1940. So my father was born posthumously to an Irish citizen does that make him automatically an Irish citizen and if so can I use that to claim dual citizenship through the fbr?
Good Afternoon,

Short answer No; you are not eligible for Citizenship via descent to the Island of Ireland.

Your 'line of entitlement' has been broken. It is directly set as 2 generations above you(Parent/Grandparent), not three.

Your Grandparent MUST have been born on the Island of Ireland.
Your parent (i.e. your father) would automatically be an Irish Citizen.
You would be eligible under descent laws to apply via FBR.

The only way possible via this method:

Adding your GreatGrandparent into the mix means your father must have applied and obtained Citizenship via FBR BEFORE You were born.

If he did and was granted you would be free to apply.

Jimmyferry
Newly Registered

Post by Jimmyferry » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:10 pm

Under the IRISH NATIONALITY AND CITIZENSHIP ACT, 1956.
A child born posthumously whose father was on the date of his death an Irish citizen shall acquire Irish citizenship under this Act on the same conditions as if his father were alive when he was born.

wouldn't that have made my father an Irish Citizen?

KatieWills
Wales

Post by KatieWills » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:28 pm

If your father has obtained Irish citizenship via the FBR before you were born then you will be eligible, otherwise the line of descent is broken.

See table, part E:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... scent.html
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

Wavey

Post by Wavey » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:32 pm

Jimmyferry wrote:Under the IRISH NATIONALITY AND CITIZENSHIP ACT, 1956.
A child born posthumously whose father was on the date of his death an Irish citizen shall acquire Irish citizenship under this Act on the same conditions as if his father were alive when he was born.

wouldn't that have made my father an Irish Citizen?
No,

This would apply if your great-grandfather had passed before your grandfather was born.

You still are not eligible for citizenship via FBR.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:14 pm

OP's original point was:
My Grandfather was born in the United states first generation, So I believe he would have been considered an Irish citizen, He died before my father was born. He died In Jan of 1940 and my father was born in April 1940. So my father was born posthumously to an Irish citizen does that make him automatically an Irish citizen
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:43 am

No I agree that you grand father would have been Irish citizen but your father will not be if he was not put on the foreign birth register as your grand father was Irish by descent.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors