ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish De-Facto Visa Questions

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

caitlinohalloran
Newly Registered

Irish De-Facto Visa Questions

Post by caitlinohalloran » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:42 am

Hi All,

My Irish partner and I are moving to Ireland at the end of the year.
We have been living in Australia (where I am a citizen) on a de-facto visa (currently waiting to hear back on the permanent decision).

I have had a bit of problems with the INIS asking for some information that is not very well explained on their website. I emailed asking if there is a kind of visa I need to be on to enter the country and to live on while I is waiting on a decision (like a bridging visa) and they told me I need to sort out my own visa, end of email. I emailed back asking which visa as their reply was very brief, whether it be a working visa or a student visa, I was worried for 2 days thinking I am never going to be able to get a student or working visa (I already used my WHA). I emailed back telling them that, and they said that I should be grateful that the visa only costs around 400eur, not like in Australia where it costs $5000 (I already know, I’ve paid for one). They also told me that the visa is not just for 3 month relationships, that it is for very serious relationships with intent to get married (um, yes, mine is, moving overseas away from all our family?) Anyway, very rude people working in that office and I hope they have forgotten my name because although I wasn’t rude back, I did let them know that I have already forked out 5 grand for a de-facto visa over here, that I am not just attaching myself to an Irish man to move over there and get free benefits, and that I am not just a girlfriend of 3 months who thinks it would be cool to go overseas and live for free.

I ended up calling a visa office in Dublin and a lovely man told me that I will be able to walk through immigration, let them know I am going to be applying for the visa, show them my funds to live off and intention to apply (if they ask) and I will send away my visa application, then receive a letter back that grants me permission to stay in the country until a decision is made.
I just feel that I have to tell people about this, government workers treating me like some criminal who is coming over to steal benefits or something.

:D IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN READING A STORY ABOUT RUDE INIS WORKERS THEN JUST START READING HERE :D :

Okay, so I have a few questions to ask about the visa. I do know that I am eligible.
1. Will I be able to go through immigration at the airport, tell them I am on a visitor while applying for a de-facto, and have evidence of the application and funds? Will they ask?
2. Applying for the visa, do I just put all the evidence I need into a folder and post it to them with a cover letter outlining what I am applying for?

3. When the visa is granted, do I have to go to the guards each year to re-new my card or whatever it is?

4. I’ve read it can take up to 6months, anyone have any experience where it has taken longer or shorter?

5. Health Insurance - Can I get it over there or will I have to have a policy over here that covers me while I am over there? Does it just need to be simple hospital cover?

Any tips are more than welcome, references, or your knowledge on the topic. I find the website confusing.
Thank-you in advance,
Caitlin.

caitlinohalloran
Newly Registered

Re: Irish De-Facto Visa Questions

Post by caitlinohalloran » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:02 am

To all reading this, I have found a great piece of information from a user on another post.
http://www.migrantproject.ie/images/Res ... s%20V8.pdf

I edited my post too many times and can't edit it anymore :(