ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Losing Irish Citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

gorgeous
Ireland

Losing Irish Citizenship

Post by gorgeous » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi guys,

I was wondering how can you lose an Irish Citizenship if you were naturalised. I've heard that you can lose it if you are not living in Ireland for 7 years or more. Is that true?

Stanic

Re: Losing Irish Citizenship

Post by Stanic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:51 am

I haven't heard that one, sometimes you have to renounce citizenship if you are granted it in another country.

Maybe if you never intended on living in Ireland after naturalisation, or you are a spy, but doubt it as something so simple as living abroad. You would have the same rights as any other Irish person

broli
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ireland

Post by broli » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:18 am

HI

they threatened to remove to people from some countries who took up Irish citizenship then went to canada to apply for asylum :mrgreen: yes humans are good at destroying whatever they build.

Like any other country if you live abroad you have to inform the embassy i think every year am not sure than you intend to keep your citizenship.

My sister had to do it every year . she was naturalised on another eu country and went to live in the US.
So she did it until she got the US citizenship.

For ireland that form is called DECLARATION OF INTENTION TO RETAIN IRISH CITIZENSHIP BY A. NATURALISED IRISH CITIZEN RESIDING OUTSIDE IRELAND FORM 5

Any naturalised Irish citizen who will be living outside Ireland for a period and who wants to retain Irish citizenship should fill in Form 5 which is an annual registration and declaration of intention to retain Irish citizenship by a naturalised Irish citizen residing outside Ireland.

Now the truth shall set you free :mrgreen:

gorgeous
Ireland

Post by gorgeous » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:42 am

Hi guys,

I was checking Wikipedia (I know it is not a good source but...) and I was able to find this:

By revocation of a certificate of naturalisation:

A certificate of naturalisation may be revoked by the Minister for Justice. Once revoked the person to whom the certificate applies ceases to be an Irish citizen. Revocation is not automatic and is a discretionary power of the Minister. A certificate may be revoked if it was obtained by fraud or when the naturalised citizen to whom it applies:

resides outside the state (or outside the island of Ireland in respect to naturalised spouses of Irish citizens) for a period exceeding seven years, otherwise than in the public service, without registering annually his or her intention to retain Irish citizenship (this provision does not apply to those who were naturalised owing to their "Irish descent or Irish associations");

I love Ireland, but I'm not sure that I would keep living here once I get my Irish Passport. I thought that if I kept living in the EU, I would be able to keep it.