ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving from UK to Ireland keeping EU Treaty Rights

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

McQueen
Newly Registered

Moving from UK to Ireland keeping EU Treaty Rights

Post by McQueen » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:41 am

Hi,

Myself, my partner (unmarried) and our 17 month old son will be moving to Ireland next month. We have been living in the UK and my partner has an UK-issued EU residence card.

I initially thought a Zambrano residence application would be the best application to make as my partner is the parent of an Irish citizen. I thought that once I return to my country of citizenship I was no longer exercising EU Treaty Rights. But I now suspect that once I've exercised my rights in another member state, I can then keep them when I return to Ireland. My partner could then just apply for an EU residence card in Ireland.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/EU ... aty_Rights?

Can anyone confirm this for me and advise what are the steps we would need to take? I would assume that once we leave the UK, her UK-issued residence card is invalid and would therefore not have permission to be in Ireland. So would she need a temporary visa? Can we apply for an Irish EU residence card before we leave the UK?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

McQueen

noajthan

Re: Moving from UK to Ireland keeping EU Treaty Rights

Post by noajthan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:11 pm

McQueen wrote:Hi,

Myself, my partner (unmarried) and our 17 month old son will be moving to Ireland next month. We have been living in the UK and my partner has an UK-issued EU residence card.

I initially thought a Zambrano residence application would be the best application to make as my partner is the parent of an Irish citizen. I thought that once I return to my country of citizenship I was no longer exercising EU Treaty Rights. But I now suspect that once I've exercised my rights in another member state, I can then keep them when I return to Ireland. My partner could then just apply for an EU residence card in Ireland.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/EU ... aty_Rights?

Can anyone confirm this for me and advise what are the steps we would need to take? I would assume that once we leave the UK, her UK-issued residence card is invalid and would therefore not have permission to be in Ireland. So would she need a temporary visa? Can we apply for an Irish EU residence card before we leave the UK?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

McQueen
What is your nationality (Irish?).
Are you a dual citizen?

What you are describing is a classic Surinder Singh route. Plenty on that in EEA forum if you search.

But it appears it gets tricky for certain dual citizens so you will need to dig into it.

To get you into the country it seems a short-term C visa is the one to go for.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:15 pm

All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

McQueen
Newly Registered

Post by McQueen » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:21 am

Thanks noajthan.

I forgot to specify I'm an Irish citizen only - no complications with dual citizenship thankfully.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. The SS route thread you gave is a good example, though they didn't seem to get a UK visit visa on their move from Ireland to the UK (whereas we're expected to get an Irish visit visa on moving from the UK to Ireland). I thought that could potentially have caused problems for them when they applied for EEA2 in the UK?

I'll do some more reading.

McQueen
Newly Registered

Post by McQueen » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:39 pm

Update.

It's been a tense couple of weeks dealing with the embassy as they initially wanted us to apply as a de facto partnership under Irish national law. This would involve applying for a long stay join family entry visa which, according to the INIS website, could take up to 6 months to process. Such a long wait could have jeopardised the whole move to Ireland as I don't know if my partner could have dealt with our toddler on her own while I was working in my new job over there.

I sought independent legal advice and was told that, despite not being married, the EU treaty rights that I'm exercising in the UK can simply be transferred to Ireland, my home Member State, and my partner should be able to apply for an EU residence card when in Ireland. My partner's existing 'family member of an EEA national' card from the Home Office is proof me exercising my EU treaty rights and our son provides strong evidence of our durable relationship.

The first step was to make a short stay visa application at the embassy, but at the counter they insisted I needed to make a long stay join family visa application, albeit that it could probably be processed in a couple of months rather than 6. They said that as we're not married, a short-stay EU rights visa would actually take longer to process (the application couldn't qualify for accelerated processing). Confused, I decided not to make any application but to think about it and come back.

I ultimately decided that as the timing was critical, I should just work with the embassy and take their recommendation that the long stay entry visa would be processed quicker. So I came back to the embassy this week.

I had a happier outcome this time. The embassy had been in touch with the authorities in Dublin and it transpired that the de facto route wouldn't be open to us as we hadn't yet been cohabiting for 2 years (this requirement is now absolutely compulsory). But the EU Treaty Rights route is in fact available to us as EU law requires a durable relationship of 2 years duration (not necessarily 2 years cohabiting). What's more, my partner doesn't even need an entry visa as her existing EU residence card is valid for entry to Ireland.

So it was tense as we had conflicting messages from the embassy, but our case was new to them and they needed to dig into it. Fingers crossed the EU residence card application goes okay once we're in Ireland, but for now we're mightily relieved that there won't be a long wait for my partner to enter the country.