ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation question

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

deltaman
Newly Registered

Naturalisation question

Post by deltaman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:48 am

Hi, I am getting my citizenship next month (23rd January). Once I get the naturalisation certificate, I want to apply for my kids (under 18). Can I apply for naturalisation of my kids using my certificate? Or Do I need to get my Irish passport before applying for my kids' naturalisation?

Thanks.

doesnotcompute

Re: Naturalisation question

Post by doesnotcompute » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:49 pm

You can apply using your certificate. You don't need to get an Irish passport.

But your kids won't have an automatic right to Irish citizenship once you get your Naturalisation cert. You will only be considered to be an Irish citizen from the date on the Naturalisation cert.

Therefore, you will have to wait 5 years from the date on the cert in order for your kids to be entitled to Irish citizenship.

deltaman
Newly Registered

Post by deltaman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:25 pm

Thanks for your reply.

But I am confused. Citizenship form says that kids should reside in Ireland at least three years before the application. My kids are residing here for more than 5 years. So I believe that there is no need to wait to apply for citizenship for my kids. Once I get naturalisation, I can straight away apply for my kids too. Am I right?

KingdomMan

Post by KingdomMan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:07 pm

deltaman wrote:Hi, I am getting my citizenship next month (23rd January). Once I get the naturalisation certificate, I want to apply for my kids (under 18). Can I apply for naturalisation of my kids using my certificate? Or Do I need to get my Irish passport before applying for my kids' naturalisation?

Thanks.
Hi deltaman, you need not entertain any fears. Your kids sure will get their citizenship once you follow due process. As it is, your kids having reside in the state for over three years and are children of naturalised Irish citizen (you) come 23rd January 2015, they are well qualified. All you need do now is get the forms (the age appropriate form) filled out and completed by the Gardi and a solicitor, put the copy of your naturalisation certificate, the required fee, your children's birth certificate, letter from their schools or doctor if they're not of school age, evidence that they reside here with you, like letter from the welfare department (child benefit) and any other related documents you may deem helpful to support your application for them. It take 2 -4 months to get final approval. Don't delay, so go ahead and apply for them after you receive your certificate on the 23rd of January 2015. Good luck!

deltaman
Newly Registered

Post by deltaman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:38 pm

KingdomMan wrote: Hi deltaman, you need not entertain any fears. Your kids sure will get their citizenship once you follow due process. As it is, your kids having reside in the state for over three years and are children of naturalised Irish citizen (you) come 23rd January 2015, they are well qualified. All you need do now is get the forms (the age appropriate form) filled out and completed by the Gardi and a solicitor, put the copy of your naturalisation certificate, the required fee, your children's birth certificate, letter from their schools or doctor if they're not of school age, evidence that they reside here with you, like letter from the welfare department (child benefit) and any other related documents you may deem helpful to support your application for them. It take 2 -4 months to get final approval. Don't delay, so go ahead and apply for them after you receive your certificate on the 23rd of January 2015. Good luck!
Thanks a lot for the kind words, Kingdomman