ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need advice on getting permanent address in Cork

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tastylentils

Need advice on getting permanent address in Cork

Post by tastylentils » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:29 pm

Hello board,

I'm currently in Cork staying at a hotel. I've been looking for places to rent and I'm not having much luck. I've got sufficient funds to put down a deposit or pay a couple of months rent up front but as soon as I mention i'm not yet in employment I get the cold shoulder. It probably doesn't help that I spent the last 4 years in China and have no rental history back home. I've looked at shared accommodation but they all say 9 months + no couples which is unacceptable to me.

Could anyone give me some suggestions as to what to do next? I don't mind staying in hostel accommodation if i really have to but it still leaves me with the problem of getting the utility bill necessary to open the bank account and get that all important pps number. I'm pretty open to almost anything.

The whole purpose of this is to find a way to be reunited with my non-eu wife.

Many thanks for your help.

lucyard
Newly Registered

Re: Need advice on getting permanent address in Cork

Post by lucyard » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:58 am

With the hostel accomodation you can still apply for ppsn. That shouldn't stop you. Just ask them at the reception to ossue you a letter stating u reside there. That shld be suffcient

steff
Newly Registered

Post by steff » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:16 pm

I moved to Cork a couple of weeks ago with my Non Eu husband. We came here from South Africa - so I can seriously relate to your situation. In addition to that we moved here with a dog - which made things even more complicated.

I know a couple of people who stayed in Kinlay House in Cork for a couple of weeks or even month before they found their own place. If you stay there longer than a week they will issue you with a letter that you can use to apply for your PPS number.

In the end we found our place by talking to people who eventually refereed us to their landlords. We did not tell them upfront that we are foreigners and have a dog - we only brought it up as we were viewing the place. That gives you the chance to make a good impression and explain your situation properly.

I wish you all the best. If you need anything feel free to get in touch with me - especially when you want to bring your non-EU wife to Cork. We are in the middle of the application for my husband Residence Card - I would be happy to share my experience with you!

All the best to you,
Steffi

tastylentils

Post by tastylentils » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:21 pm

Thanks very much for the replies and thanks steffi for the kind words of support. For the moment my partner and I agreed on coming here I knew it would difficult. I've been dreading looking for a place to stay. It's something of a catch 22 situation, no job, no apartment, hostel could be the way to go. Thanks steffi for mentioning a specific place I was wondering if all hostels would be friendly enough to write a letter. How long does it take to get a pps number in Cork?

I have thought of another plan of action and would be grateful for some feedback on it. My father is helping me search for a place to stay and has offered to let to try and let a place in his name. As a home owner and in a better financial position than myself i'm hoping that he would be more succesful. We would ask for something in writing to say that my partner and I were permitted to reside there. Perhaps he would rent for 6 months which would give me enough time to get on my feet and get a job and for her to come, then I could rent a place in my own right.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm wondering how feasible it might be and whether it would jeopardise my wife getting a visa to come.

Thanks very much.

steff
Newly Registered

Post by steff » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:22 pm

Did you have any luck so far?

My first thought that got into my mind as you mentioned that your father could rent a place for you was: That will be complicated with the visa application.

Let me quickly explain why:

Depending on the country of origin your wife will need a Visa C to enter Ireland. Afterwards she will need to apply for a Residence Card with Form EU1 (it's call if I remember correctly). This form lists a bunch of documents that need to be provided with the application.

If you don't own a house you will need to send them a Confirmation of Registration with the Tenancy Board. Means your landlord will need to register your tenancy on your and your wifes name. I guess it would be difficult to get that if your father is the actual tenant... But that would probably also depend on the landlords flexibility. But I would defiantly discuss that upfront.

Fingers crossed you find something quickly!

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:36 pm

I letter from the landlord should be enough, ie from hotel or hostel manager. Or even if staying with friends or relatives or a letter from the person on the tenancy or deeds.
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

tastylentils

Post by tastylentils » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks again for the replies. No luck yet.

We spoke to a landlord today and put the idea of my father paying the rent. Seemed willing to consider but said as I would be the one staying there my name would be registered and I would need to provide the pps number. We asked if it was possible to rent without a pps number and he said he wasn't sure and if to contact someone and let me know if it can be done.

If they can't that leaves me in a bit of a quandary as I would likethe place registered in both our names. She's obviously in no position to get to get a pps. In the worst case scenario I would ask for a letter stating that she can stay before any contract is signed.

By the way, just how long does it take to get hold of a pps number in cork? I've heard that in Dublin there's a pretty quick turnaround.

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:09 pm

@ tastylentils , its not that difficult but look its not working for you at the moment, it should be very easy anyway , your landlord doesnt, need pps number at all nor you are obliged to provide him, he just need pps number if he want to registered you tenancy with PRTB , so it should work very smothly as below.
tell him you want to rent the place with your wife , if he is ready both of you can move in , then ring the electricity provider on the same day and give them your and your wife name and tell them you are the new tenants and they will open your electricity account with your names and tell them to send you confirmation letter as you want to use it as proof of address(this will take at maximum 1 week ), when you get the letter from them go with that letter and other documents to the social welfare office and apply for pps number and get your pps number ( this will take at maximum 2 weeks ) so just after 3 weeks of renting the place you will have your proof of address and your pps number and you can give it to your landlord and he will registered your tenancy with PRTB. ( in 1 month every thing is done ) This is the same what i did when i moved in Ireland years ago .
NOTE: your landlord doesn,t need to registered you with PRTB on the very firsst day you move in so you can give him your pps number after 2/3 weeks and he can then regisred you from the back dates you moved in , 2/3 weeks doesnt make any difference if you beleive me and even if you don,t have pps number then he can leave that box blank on the form but better to stick with first option.
If still have problem , do let me know , i know few landlords in cork city , they are nice men i can check with them if they have anything for rent you can get without any question answers on your conditions.
cheers

tastylentils

Post by tastylentils » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:22 am

Just an update on the situation. Managed to find a place to lease thank goodness. I guess if I can find something then it can't be too difficult. Thanks to everyone who posted.

Dublinhope

Post by Dublinhope » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:17 pm

tastylentils wrote:Just an update on the situation. Managed to find a place to lease thank goodness. I guess if I can find something then it can't be too difficult. Thanks to everyone who posted.
how did you find?i need place with mu non eu wife and son in cork