ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport for Child Born after 2005 in ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

IrishLad786
Newly Registered

Passport for Child Born after 2005 in ireland

Post by IrishLad786 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:26 pm

Dear all,

I am new to this forum. But I was carefully looking at the recent posts and got very deep knowledge about naturalization process. My wife has been recently naturalized and my kid was born in Ireland after 2005. I wanted to apply for his passport now. I managed to get to know that there can be two possible ways.

1. Do I have to send my kid`s application to department of justice to get him naturalized first and than apply for his passport? (normal route)

2. Can I directly apply for his passport since he was born in Ireland after 2005 and has Irish birth certification? (fast track)

Your kind help is urgently required to submit the application in a proper manner. I wish all who are waiting for their decisions to get the positive response soon.

Regards,
IrishLad

Beachboy

Re: Passport for Child Born after 2005 in ireland

Post by Beachboy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:54 pm

For kids born in Ireland and who qualify for Irish citizenship, you need to apply in the passport office directly, no need to go through Inis.

Use this page https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenshi ... -passport/ to see the requirements (eg residency of parents prior the birth etc)

IrishLad786
Newly Registered

Post by IrishLad786 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:40 pm

Beachboy,
Thanks for your prompt reply mate. I just have one doubt that when you said "who qualify for Irish citizenship". Do I not need a naturalization certificate from the inis for her to prove that? Or is it implicit that since she was born in ireland and her mum is now Irish citizen hence it is enough?

Also my daughter was born before my wife got naturalized (which is just recently). From my friends, I just know that if the child is born outside the EU than one has to passby the inis route.
Many thanks and have a nice evening.
IrishLad :)

janesx
Newly Registered

Post by janesx » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:50 pm

1. Do I have to send my kid`s application to department of justice to get him naturalized first and than apply for his passport?
Yes because at the time of the birth none of the parents were Irish citizens, therefore, the child is not entitled to citizenship.

2. Can I directly apply for his passport since he was born in Ireland after 2005 and has Irish birth certification? (fast track)

Anyone born in Ireland has an Irish birth cert. That doesn't mean anything.
A parent long form original birth cert or Irish passport is the proof require for the office to check the child is indeed an Irish citizen (like the parent).

Beachboy

Post by Beachboy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:58 pm

janesx wrote:1. Do I have to send my kid`s application to department of justice to get him naturalized first and than apply for his passport?
Yes because at the time of the birth none of the parents were Irish citizens, therefore, the child is not entitled to citizenship.

Anyone born in Ireland has an Irish birth cert. That doesn't mean anything.
A parent long form original birth cert or Irish passport is the proof require for the office to check the child is indeed an Irish citizen (like the parent).

You don't need to be irish for your child to be Irish citizen. All what's required is that one of the parents must have been living in Ireland 3 years before the birth of the baby. The parent shouldn't be a student.

If that the case, all you need to is apply directly for the passport from the office. If you fill details here https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenshi ... -passport/ they'll tell you what you need to provide for the child.
Last edited by Beachboy on Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beachboy

Post by Beachboy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:59 pm

More details:
Parent is non-EU/EEA/Swiss national
If your child has a parent who was not born within the EU, EEA or Switzerland, include these documents with their passport application:

Photos
Four passport photographs, two of which must be witnessed.

Birth certificate
Your child’s original long-form birth certificate.

Parent’s passport
The parent’s passport, showing residency stamps granting legal permission to remain in Ireland for three of the four years before the birth of the child.

If the current passport doesn’t show sufficient residency, you may have to submit a previous passport.

Your child may not qualify for an Irish passport if your residency was granted for:

Having an application for refugee status determined
Study or training purpose or
Where your child’s parent had diplomatic immunity at the time of the birth
Parent’s GNIB card
The parent’s GNIB card.

If the stamps don’t reflect the full period of residency, you should contact GNIB on 01 6669100 or email gnib@iol.ie before you submit the passport application. They can give you a letter on their official stationary outlining their record of the stamps.

Remember…
Read all sections of your passport application form to make sure you’ve filled it out correctly, including photo requirements and how to get it witnessed properly.

IrishLad786
Newly Registered

Post by IrishLad786 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:26 pm

Beachboy,
Thanks for the detailed reply. Also janesx thanks for your response.

Now this situation has caused a confusion. I have also sent an email to citizenship section in inis to get to know how can this be resolved. I hope to get the response by Tuesday and will share it here to clarify for the rest of forum friends.

If any of the forum members went throught the same situation please share your experience in order to attain the irish citizenship for their minor(s).
Thanks in advance.
IrishLad

Diomond

Post by Diomond » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:49 pm

My friend your children are entitle to irish passport if you or your your wife were resident in ireland for at atleast 3 years aat the time of child birth. If yes u can apply straight to passport office.

SelectMe

Post by SelectMe » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:17 pm

if you or your your wife were resident(Stamp 1 or Stamp 4) in Ireland for at atleast 3 years at the time of child birth. If yes u can apply straight to passport office.
else you must fill this form and must apply Naturalization for your child by filling Form 9
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Form%209 ... %2014).pdf
APPLICATION FOR A CERTIFICATE OF NATURALISATION BY A
NATURALISED IRISH CITIZEN ACTING ON BEHALF OF HIS/HER MINOR CHILD
though I found this rule quite bizarre, my son born in Ireland was not given Irish Citizenship by default as we were short of few months to complete 3 years residency rule. where as friend of mine who completed 3 years rule, their kid was granted Irish Citizenship and passport on birth. both kids went to same creche, same school and were speaking same language and played same games. still one was born Irish and other was not! Our son was granted Irish citizenship, only after one of us got Irish Citizenship, had to apply and he became 'Naturalized Irish Citizen '.
Well, he is Irish citizen now, Not sure if he ll be ever be an 'Irish'?? as Constitution (may )does not recognize him as an Irish.