ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Police shows up at applicants house

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

steff
Newly Registered

Police shows up at applicants house

Post by steff » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi all,

my husband (Congolese) and I (German) moved to Cork about 2 month ago.

We submitted his application under for a Residence Card to the EU Treaty Rights Devision around the end of August. We have not heard back from them so far, but they informed us that currently it takes them about 5 weeks to process the first stamp 4.

Everything went smooth so far - I think we did everything right.

Today as I was at work and my husband at home the police showed up. We live in a flat - they did not ring the door bell outside - they were just standing in front of our door - no uniform. My husband says they said they were Police and they showed their badges. They went straight into our place and ask him if he lives alone, if he works in Ireland, if he work in his previous country of residence, they wanted to see my passport, our utility bills and so forth.

They also wanted to see his passport. To verify the passport they took it with them and dropped of later. They did not explain why they check, only said that everything is fine as my husband asked if something is wrong.

My question: Is that part of a usual process when applying for Residence Card? Do I need to worry about something? Is it possible that it wasn't the "real" police, that it was a immigration officer who works for the Garda? Do you thing is has something to do with our current application?

I appreciate any opinion on this because it feels.... weird.

Thanks a lot!

Re: Police shows up at applicants house

Post by 110 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:41 pm

have never heard of this happening to anyone before....very uprising !

CalvinKlien
Mood:
Ireland

Post by CalvinKlien » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:44 pm

Don't worry it's a normal process. They are immigration detectives and always go in normal clothes. If the DOJ has any doubt on an applicant they send the detectives to go and check if the info provided in the application are right. In short DOJ wants to discourage shame marriages. That kinds of checks are very frequent in the UK and are rare in Ireland but that kind of raids happened before.

I am hoping that your husband's visa would be approved soon.

amison79

Post by amison79 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:17 pm

@calvinklien

i thnk ths is first of its kind investigation in ireland :o

wwattock80

Post by wwattock80 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:49 pm

Don't worry, Its usual. if you apply through Solicitor then 1% chances that some one will come to verify that its Genuine Case or Shame marriage, but if you apply for stamp 4 your self then 99% chances that Local immigration will come to check,They will come again as well,
Good Luck

SelectMe

Post by SelectMe » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:24 pm

Ahhhh, Dnt worry, its quite normal Nothing to worry about. someone told me their similar story, officers did came to their house, interviewed them and their case approved week later. this was back in around 2007. yes, procedure is still same