ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

questions about irish citizenship, deportation, and marriage

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

roarie999
Newly Registered

questions about irish citizenship, deportation, and marriage

Post by roarie999 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:48 am

ok so i've got a few questions if anyone is able to answer them...
i am american by the way

1- say i get a work permit or whatever its called for 90 days...than i just dont leave ireland
what happens?
are they sending bounty hunters out to look for me?
if and when i get found by whomever
do i get thrown in jail?
in ireland or the us?

or say they dont come looking for me
when i go to leave...do i get in trouble then?
what trouble am i in?
and with whom?
what are the consequences?

2- hypothetically if i denounced my citizenship would it be easier for me to get a citizenship in another country, particularly ireland?
or will i be like that guy who got stuck in that french airport or whatever...where no one will take me....
i had a friend denounce his us citizenship and join the french foreign legion
i dont want to do anything that extreme though

3- is there countries that are easier to get citizenship in the EU?
would it just be wiser to get a citizenship in another country than as an EU member move to ireland to work?

4-i know in the us its not all that hard to find someone to marry so you can get a green card
one of my friends married a columbian girl so she could get her green card for instance
he met her at a restaurant that we all worked at
so how hard would it be for me to just find a guy to marry in ireland so i could apply for citizenship?
there are mail order bride website...are there any american mail order websites i could put myself on?
hahah

this is a really long post
but i've been looking and looking for answers to these questions and couldnt really find much
its all so confusing
any answers to any of these would be great
thanks
-rori

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:09 pm

Answers to your questions:

1: I dont know of any Irish work permit/authorisation/visa that is issued for 90 days. A tourist visa may be issued for 90 days but as a US citizen you do not require a visa to enter Ireland.
As for what happens if you overstay ... I guess that depends on if you get caught doing something illegal in the country during your stay e.g. working

2: ehhh why do you want to renounce your citizenship? no it would not make it easier to get citizenship of another country!

3: yes, read other posts on this forum

4: Marrying an Irish person does not give you any rights to citizenship or to residence in Ireland. Apart from it being illegal (as well justifying the attitude of the Dept of Justice towards Irish citizens who marry non-EU nationals) it is not the route you want to take to get citizenship.

Instead of trying to look at all the illegal ways to get yourself into an EU country, why not try looking at the possibilities of getting work visas/permits for the country instead? Just a suggestion

roarie999
Newly Registered

Post by roarie999 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:29 am

ok well the work permit must have a time limit on it in ireland
here in the us its 90 days so i was unsure of the time limit there in ireland, whether it varied from country to country in the EU, etc

i dont want to renounce my citizenship
i was just wondering about it
hence why i said hypothetically

i understand its illegal to get married for citizenship
that wasnt my question...
and as i said im not that desperate or looking to be that extreme
pure curiosity
these were questions i was unable to find answers to
so i asked them here

ive looked at the legal ways to get myself to Europe
thats easy to find
its the non legal stuff i was wondering

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:29 am

The US government, as part of a treaty signed at the UN level, is opposed to the policy of creating statelessness in its citizens. As a result, someone in your position can only renounce his/her US citizenship overseas in front of a consular officer and only after providing proof that he/she possesses or has immediate recourse to a second citizenship.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:23 am

ok well the work permit must have a time limit on it in ireland
here in the us its 90 days so i was unsure of the time limit there in ireland, whether it varied from country to country in the EU, etc
That's just rubbish, a work permit issued for 90 days is of no use to anyone. Most people in the US get issued work permit for months and years at a time.
i dont want to renounce my citizenship
i was just wondering about it
hence why i said hypothetically
Well you can't. Not unless you already have the citizenship of another country. And even if you could and you are left stateless, it's a bit naive to think that some EU country is going to come to your rescue and give you citizenship just so that you can avoid being stateless.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.