ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Relocating to Dublin with a non EU spouse

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

adedayoh

Relocating to Dublin with a non EU spouse

Post by adedayoh » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:51 pm

Hi,
I need clarification on some questions.
Am a British citizen married to a Nigeria citizen. We have been married for 2 n half years and I recently decided to relocate to Dublin due to the insecurities in Nigeria. Am currently back in London but intent to move to Dublin by Dec n would like my husband to join me from Nigeria.

What is the best route for us to do this?

Happygoluckky
Newly Registered

Re: Relocating to Dublin with a non EU spouse

Post by Happygoluckky » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:47 am

The first thing your spouse will do is to apply for an Irish join spouse visa from Nigeria. This should be given free if charge (you pay vfs fee) and on the basis of an accelerated procedure. I'm not yet sure how long that is translated to in Nigeria but it should not exceed 4 weeks. Also the requirements should be your spouse passport, a copy of your own passport and your marriage certificate.
Personally though, I would advise that you put in as much documentation that would help your cause Just to be on the err on the side of caution.
Also, ur husband can apply as soon as you move, that way you are still within the first three months that you can live there with no conditions.

Hope I have been able to help somewhat. If there is any other thing u will like to know, I will be glad to help as long as I can.

Cheers x

Happygoluckky
Newly Registered

Post by Happygoluckky » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:50 am

*just to err on the side of caution *

adedayoh

Post by adedayoh » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:13 am

Hi happygolucky'
Thanks a bunch. This is really helpful. Its such a relief to hear this cos I know so many countries seriously disregards certain rules when dealing with Nigerians. Will have him do the application next month and would update you on the status.

Happygoluckky
Newly Registered

Post by Happygoluckky » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:22 pm

Ok. There is that option available in Nigeria. But like I have said just don't know how long it takes. Fingers crossed that it won't take forever.

All the best.

tastylentils

Post by tastylentils » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Good luck with your move. I'm in a similar position to you. British with a Chinese wife. I was originally going to Dublin but after looking at accommodation costs settled on Cork instead. Been here a month and found getting a place to rent and a job much easier than I thought.

Thing I regret when I came here first was I failed to bring all necessary documents with me to open a bank account before I got a place. Just two proofs of address back are needed which can be a utiility bill (not mobile phone) or correspondence from two different banks. Sounds minor, but it's a real pain not having a bank account.

Also watch out for information on pps number that you need. Most of the information online states just go to the welfare office with a letter from your landlord and proof of address. It's wrong, outdated information. They changed the system so you just apply for jobs like normal, and when you start work take your contract or job offer letter down to welfare office and they'll send the pps in the post. Surprisingly nobody on this board knew anything about these changes.

We're at the stage of gathering documents so we can submit the short stay visa application. The process does seem a bit bewildering at times and sometimes it's pretty hit and miss getting answers to the questions you think are important. I'll keep an eye out for your posts and if I can answer I'd happy to help you out.

Once again good luck

adedayoh

Post by adedayoh » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:29 am

Good stuff thanks for the info on the pps no. Will keep you posted on my husband's application. Good luck with urs tok

irajaforyou
Newly Registered

Re: visa requirement for joining non EU spouse

Post by irajaforyou » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:46 am

Hi I hope someone can help me
I am a British Citizen and moved to Ireland I wish to sponsor my wife from Pakistan
What is the procedure. What documents would I need to attach I have only been living here for 1 month currently working part time. Please someone help me.

Thanks

Happygoluckky
Newly Registered

Post by Happygoluckky » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:11 am

Irajaforyou, just a few paragraphs up, u get your answer.

Your passport data page copy, your spouse's passport and your marriage certificate is all you have to produce in the first three months.

The visa should be issued to you free of charge and on the basis of an accelerated procedure, usually within four weeks. I can't say though if Pakistani embassy or consulate adheres to the latter.

irajaforyou
Newly Registered

Post by irajaforyou » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:06 am

Hi happygoluckky thank you so much for this information

In Pakistan it's only consulate do you think they will take more time to issue visa if its consulate and the visa will be short stay visa if I am correct. Once we arrive to Ireland what do we do after, how do we get to stay permenant.

I have an idea but not sure if i can do this,

i was thinking to get all relevant documents of my wife which is required for visa and apply in ireland for short stay visa and then go back and take her passport with me to bring her here.
I am not sure if this is allowed.

Kindly let me know
Thanks again I hope to have your reply and get some guidence.

heregreg
Newly Registered

Post by heregreg » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:04 am

tastylentils wrote:Good luck with your move. I'm in a similar position to you. British with a Chinese wife. I was originally going to Dublin but after looking at accommodation costs settled on Cork instead. Been here a month and found getting a place to rent and a job much easier than I thought.

Thing I regret when I came here first was I failed to bring all necessary documents with me to open a bank account before I got a place. Just two proofs of address back are needed which can be a utiility bill (not mobile phone) or correspondence from two different banks. Sounds minor, but it's a real pain not having a bank account.

Also watch out for information on pps number that you need. Most of the information online states just go to the welfare office with a letter from your landlord and proof of address. It's wrong, outdated information. They changed the system so you just apply for jobs like normal, and when you start work take your contract or job offer letter down to welfare office and they'll send the pps in the post. Surprisingly nobody on this board knew anything about these changes.

We're at the stage of gathering documents so we can submit the short stay visa application. The process does seem a bit bewildering at times and sometimes it's pretty hit and miss getting answers to the questions you think are important. I'll keep an eye out for your posts and if I can answer I'd happy to help you out.

Once again good luck
Hi there, I see you found moving to Cork worked well for you. I plan on doing the same and would like to pick your brains about it, if I may. Please PM me; I don't seem to be able to PM you due to not having posted enough. Sorry about that! But the questions I would like to ask are not strictly immigration related but more to do with jobs and housing.

adedayoh

Post by adedayoh » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:32 pm

Hi guys,

For the people that have successfully moved could you please advise on how easy it is to get a job in Dublin. Accommodation is not an issue because we will be staying with family. But am really worried about getting a job because that's the only way to show that am exercising my rights.

Happygoluckky
Newly Registered

Post by Happygoluckky » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:17 pm

Directive,Obie and all the gurus in the house,

If the embassy is taking more than 4 weeks to issue the short stay c visa, what would you advise?

Happygoluckky
Newly Registered

Post by Happygoluckky » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:25 pm

Irajaforyou,

I'll say you should, just take it one step at a time.

U can apply for a join spouse visa if you will be there ahead of her even if it is a few days before
Or an accompany spouse visa if you will be traveling together.

U do not need to go first to ireland then go back to get her and back again.

U do not need to be doing anything for the first three months. After the three months then u have to be self employed or working on a salary job or even studying.

But I'll say u should Apply for the visa first. The. Take time to go through the relevant parts of this forum and the Inis website. U will get a very good hang of things.

Hope this helps even a bit.
Cheers.

irajaforyou wrote:Hi happygoluckky thank you so much for this information

In Pakistan it's only consulate do you think they will take more time to issue visa if its consulate and the visa will be short stay visa if I am correct. Once we arrive to Ireland what do we do after, how do we get to stay permenant.

I have an idea but not sure if i can do this,

i was thinking to get all relevant documents of my wife which is required for visa and apply in ireland for short stay visa and then go back and take her passport with me to bring her here.
I am not sure if this is allowed.

Kindly let me know
Thanks again I hope to have your reply and get some guidence.

Happygoluckky
Newly Registered

Post by Happygoluckky » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:51 pm

Happygoluckky wrote:Directive,Obie and all the gurus in the house,

If the embassy is taking more than 4 weeks to issue the short stay c visa, what would you advise?

Pls I need a response dear moderators or anyone that can help

irajaforyou
Newly Registered

Post by irajaforyou » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:45 am

Thank you happygoluckky

I will visit the Inis website.

Kind regards and best wishes

Irajaforyou

Happygoluckky
Newly Registered

Post by Happygoluckky » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:12 am

Thanks all. Got the visa exactly four weeks to the date I received the parcel.

Cheers.

Happygoluckky wrote:
Happygoluckky wrote:Directive,Obie and all the gurus in the house,

Pls I need a response dear moderators or anyone that can help