ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Returning to Ireland with Canadian husband

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

JenBenM
Newly Registered

Returning to Ireland with Canadian husband

Post by JenBenM » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:21 am

Hi all,

I'm Irish and I've lived in Canada the last 3 years. I married a Canadian a year ago and we both want to move to Ireland in the next year ideally. He's 30 so he can't get the working holiday visa and we won't yet be married the 3 years required for him to become a naturalised citizen. Am I right in thinking that the only option for him to move there and work is the General Employment Permit? And does he need to have a job offer before entering Ireland? The requirements for the General Employment Permit seems to me like it would make finding a job harder than it needs to be so I'm hoping there's another option for us as I'd rather not have to wait until we're 3 years married to move back.

Thanks in advance,
Jen

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Returning to Ireland with Canadian husband

Post by max307 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:25 am

Hi Jen,

Since your husband is Canadian I guess you can go for option A (non visa required national) below.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

See section 1.) How do I apply?

JenBenM
Newly Registered

Post by JenBenM » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:01 am

Sorry for the delay in replying. I had a look at this form and it looks like you need to be residing in Ireland to apply (looking for an Irish address and wanting us to send our passports with the application). Then it can take up to 12 months where he won't be able to work, that's madness! Is this the only option for us?

Honestly I'm surprised it's not a bit more straight forward!!

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:09 am

Sorry for the misunderstanding! Your case is Section A of the link provided since your husband is a non visa required national who will enter the State legally.

In that case your husband and yourself can attend the GNIB office within 90 days of your arrival with the following documentation:

• Your original marriage/civil partnership certificate
• Your husband’s original passport
• Your Irish original passport
• Evidence of your joint address, e.g. mortgage/rent agreement, household bills (gas, electricity, phone or cable/satellite TV), bank statements, etc.

You will be applying for a Stamp 4 for your husband on the basis of marriage to an Irish Citizen and is usually granted in hours at the GNIB office in Dublin if there are no complications, once this Stamp is granted he will be able to study / work and reside in the state legally. Initial Stamp is most of the times granted for 1 year and then you will need to renew it following the same process.

Section B is for individuals that do not have current permission to remain in the State and that process can take up to 12 months.

Individuals on Sections A & B won’t be allowed to work while they wait for a Stamp 4 though, so that is something you should consider.

jlad

Post by jlad » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:50 am

Your husband will ONLY be able to naturalise to be a Irish Citizen after both of you live in Island of Ireland for at least 3 years. If you are married and live outside Island of Ireland you won't be able to get him naturalised unfortunately. Used to be able to but they have stopped it since 2005.

Natonstan
Newly Registered

Post by Natonstan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:12 pm

JenBenM wrote:Hi all,

I'm Irish and I've lived in Canada the last 3 years. I married a Canadian a year ago and we both want to move to Ireland in the next year ideally. He's 30 so he can't get the working holiday visa and we won't yet be married the 3 years required for him to become a naturalised citizen. Am I right in thinking that the only option for him to move there and work is the General Employment Permit? And does he need to have a job offer before entering Ireland? The requirements for the General Employment Permit seems to me like it would make finding a job harder than it needs to be so I'm hoping there's another option for us as I'd rather not have to wait until we're 3 years married to move back.

Thanks in advance,
Jen
Hi Jen, we're doing a similar thing except my wife is from the US, you will simply go through customs at the airport letting them know you're planning to reside, then you must go to your countys Gardaí HQ, make sure to bring your passports and marriage cert, and then they will usually give you Stamp 4 in your passport and it usually takes a few weeks for your residency card to come through. This was the experience of a friend that returned to Ireland with her American husband a couple of months back