ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ugrent help please

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

assbc

Ugrent help please

Post by assbc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:15 pm

I am married to an Irish Citizen and would like to travel to Belfast Northern Ireland. Do i need a visa to go to belfast? I will be travelling alone.
Thanks

victor8600

Re: Ugrent help please

Post by victor8600 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:55 pm

assbc wrote:I am married to an Irish Citizen and would like to travel to Belfast Northern Ireland. Do i need a visa to go to belfast? I will be travelling alone.
Thanks
Yes. Being married to an Irish citizen does not free you from a requirement to have a visa to go to any other EU country, is it not so?
All your base are belong to us

zafarzafar
BANNED

Post by zafarzafar » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:08 pm

yes u need UK visa to travel to belfast
arsalan

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:03 pm

But I had heard there is no border control between the two Irelands ??
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:10 pm

There wasnt really any border control between NI and ROI but with so many people travelling to NI during the recession to avail of cheaper products/cigarettes/petrol etc there is random stop checks and the GNIB have been known to do regular random stop checks also.

I would suggest getting a visa, as chancing it, could be too much of a risk.

zafarzafar
BANNED

Post by zafarzafar » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:43 am

True there was no border control but now the police of Northern Ireland and republic of ireland are on random patrol, they don't stop every body but there are chances to be stoped and to be asked for ID visa etc.
it happened to my friend last week, he was asked for his visa for both of the countries, he presented his passport & Visas and they let him go.
So, i would strongly recommend to get UK visa before you go otherwise if you are caught you would be handed over to Irish Garda and they will put your name in the imigration offenders list, in the future you would face great difficulty when u extend you visa or apply for naturalization.
hope it will help.
Good Luck

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:55 am

I have never been stopped in my many trips up North. Ive never travelled with my passport, just a driving license. Curious as to what they would do if I was stopped just with a drivers license.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:35 am

In Summary, I would only bother with a British Visa, if I was going to Britain (that bigger Island next door)
Yes, your required to have a visa, but they are not "supposed" to do anything if you don't have one, if you carry your marriage cert.
As long as you don't intend to fly to Belfast, it should be grand.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:16 pm

acme4242 wrote:In Summary, I would only bother with a British Visa, if I was going to Britain (that bigger Island next door)
To enter any part of the UK without possessing a valid visa if it required, is unlawful.

acme4242 wrote:Yes, your required to have a visa, but they are not "supposed" to do anything if you don't have one, if you carry your marriage cert.
As long as you don't intend to fly to Belfast, it should be grand.
Sorry, that's wrong. The OP may be the spouse of an Irish citizen, but if s/he is not entering the UK in accordance with the provisions of the Directive, s/he needs a visa if required due to nationality.

Lax border controls between Ireland and the UK are not a green light that laws can be broken.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

mattfrombann
Newly Registered

Post by mattfrombann » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:31 pm

Speaking as someone from Norn Iron who is married to a non EU citizen and resident in mainland Britain, I can but agree with the posts which point out that you really should get yourself a proper UK visa to go north. You most probably would be unchallenged if you do not look out of place or draw attention to yourself but it will surely only be a matter of time before you would want to visit "the big island next door" and you want to have a clean sheet for proper visa application. My wife is African and is invariably questioned at the Scottish ferry terminals when we come back from visiting the Province, so don't feel tempted to go that way for an unofficial visit to mainland UK. The UKBA is well aware of people getting an Irish visa and trying to get in the back door when they have had problems with UK visas.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:57 pm

benifa wrote: To enter any part of the UK without possessing a valid visa if it required, is unlawful.

Sorry, that's wrong. The OP may be the spouse of an Irish citizen, but if s/he is not entering the UK in accordance with the provisions of the Directive, s/he needs a visa if required due to nationality.

Lax border controls between Ireland and the UK are not a green light that laws can be broken.
That is quite a sweeping statement, which might or might not apply to the OP.

First of all the OP has not stated what her intention/s for going to the UK is/are, and whether or not she will be accompanied by her Irish husband, therfore you would first need to establish that fact.

It is not strictly speaking right that all third country national, who are visa required national, who enter a member state without that visa , entered unlawfully.

If the purpose of the stay is less that 24hrs and these people are in possession of a residence permit issued by an EU member state, they are allowed to travel to the UK lawfully, without the need to obtain the required visa, especially if they will be making an onward journey.

If this woman will be travelling with her husband, which may or may not be the case, then she is covered by all the procedural safeguard attached to directive 2004/38EC.

I would advice the OP to get the visa if she intend on staying for a long period, as a family member of mine was recently questioned at George Best Airport, especially if her partner will not be accompanying her.

If it for the odd shopping at Newry, i frankly speaking will not bother too much.

My home is 20 minutes away from Newry, and about 90 minutes from British High commission. If i was a visa national who needed to do an urgent day shopping, i don't think the prospect of undertaking an interview and possibly having to wait for almost a month will be appealing.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:59 pm

Obie wrote:
benifa wrote: To enter any part of the UK without possessing a valid visa if it required, is unlawful.

That is quite a sweeping statement, which might or might not apply to the OP.

First of all the OP has not stated what her intention/s for going to the UK is/are, and whether or not she will be accompanied by her Irish husband, therfore you would first need to establish that fact.

<snipped irrelevant tripe>
I did, I read the original post.
assbc wrote:I will be travelling alone.

Obie wrote:If it for the odd shopping at Newry, i frankly speaking will not bother too much.

My home is 20 minutes away from Newry, and about 90 minutes from British High commission. If i was a visa national who needed to do an urgent day shopping, i don't think the prospect of undertaking an interview and possibly having to wait for almost a month will be appealing.
Advising people to break the law is against the rules of this website.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:20 pm

Everyone needs to be extra careful crossing the border because of the occasionalover-zealous border police.